What's new

Which ET version to get (1 Viewer)

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
What are your opinions on the new ET release. Should I go with the 2 disc, or the 4 disc set? Any opinions would be appreciaed.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would go with the gift set. I have it. Its very nice. It also has alot of extra features on it.. more then the 2 disc.. the only problem is there only dts on the 2002 version then the 1982 version..

JACOB

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about not doing the search, but i just wanted a quick pole concerning these 2 sets, and didn't want to have to filter through all the other stuff.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Get the one with both the 1982 and 2002 cuts!

Seriously, I love the Big Set (whatever it's called). I rarely splurge for DVD sets, but this is a real nice one. The book and CD are great too (included).

Felix

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yeah, the collector's set is really nice. Should content everyone who wishes we were back in the LD box set days. ;) We are now entering the DVD box set age, and I'm loving every minute of it!

DannyS

Second Unit
If E.T holds a special place in your heart.

Go for the Ulitmate gift set.

I did. It's perfect.

Mike Cooper

Auditioning
How about this are you a big fan of ET?
If you are a big fan get the 4 disc set.

I am looking for a keep case printed cover and box. I have seen the covers online but I can't print the. Any help??

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I am a big fan of this movie. I saw it when I was a junior in high school, expecting it to be a "silly kids movie". It blew me away then, and when I took my 4 y/o daughter to see the new version, I was still impressed (other than Spielberg's revisionist film making techniques). I think I will spring for the 4 disc set!

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
It all depends on whether DTS is important to you for the 1982 version. If it is, you get the added bonus of saving some money by purchasing the 2-Disc edition.

ToddJ

Second Unit
does anyone have any scans of the stuff inside of the box set? (especially the book)

Todd

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Good choice! :emoji_thumbsup: You WON'T be disappointed with this set, it's sheer bliss for an E.T. fan.
As a sidenote, i'm surprised at the decision of many members here to go with the 2 disc set and not the big one over in the big E.T. thread. :confused: They'll go all out and stop at nothing to buy the 'SW' trilogy on LD no matter the cost, but are suddenly pinching their purses for E.T.!?
I understand if it's for lack of finances, however if it's for some statement in protest of Universal for the last minuet changes and them not being forthcoming about it is just ridiculous to me. Personally, aside from them pullng the plug on the OAR editions and making it a fullscreen only release, they could make all the changes they wanted to and not say a damn thing about it and I would STILL buy this set.
Nothing in this world could stop me. This set and I were made for each other. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
John,

I think many wanted DTS on the 1982 version. It makes absolutely NO sense why this wasn't included on the gift set version.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No it doesn't make sense, but on the other hand the 82 cut in the gift set sports an outstanding DD track. I don't want to go down the DD vs DTS road yet again, i'm so sick of it anyway, but people are way too picky now days IMO.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
John,

we're not "picky" just because DTS is important to us--We're *audiophiles*. We hear the difference and it's important to us. That doesn't mean it has to be important to everyone else...but it's a feature that *should* have been on the box set without a doubt (I'm sure many more collectors would have rather had 6.1 DTS with the '82 cut that 5.1 French/Spanish).

I bought the box set (got the early discount for $22.00) but will also pick up the 2-disc to get DTS with the '82 cut.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David,
i've heard this argument before many times and it just doesn't wash. I can also hear the differences between DTS and DD, but the difference isn't so extreme that it renders the DD track unlistenable and thus the gift set unworthy of owning. If you compare the two tracks on the 2002 cut you'll hear that the difference is there, but extremely negligable. The DD track in this case is just fine.

Fortunatly in this particular situation their is a solution, get both, but I doubt that many would find that convenient.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey John,

don't recall saying that 5.1 DD was unlistenable or that the lack of DTS makes the box set not worth getting...

I just said that they *should* have included it for the '82 cut on the box set as well.

In any case...gonna get both...but it's not something that should even have been an issue (the box set should have had all this and more...there should have been no trade-off).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David, got it. However that fact was eluded to when it was suggested that perhaps people weren't buying the gift set because they wanted the DTS track on the 82 cut. That's where I got that from. But I see what your saying now. :)
I actually got you and the other Dave mixed up.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks