What's new

Where to put wall sconces? (2 Viewers)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The media room in my house is going to be a nook off of the main rec room. I recently specced out where the wall sconces will be, but I hadn't really had time to think about it before hand. Here's what I've got, the little rectangles are where the wall sconces will be, 5' off the floor.

The rear one is centered based on the front wall where the projection will be (maybe - eventually). The screen will be in the front. The sconces are kind of bunched up in the back of the room, but I don't want them under a basement window, and I do think that I will want the front (side) of the room sconce-free for front projection. I'm having second thoughts about the locations, but I don't have much time to change them! What do you guys think?

That "optional walk-out to patio" is going to be in a different location, ignore it. That is blank wall. I'm planning on building a platform in the rear of the room.

If anyone has suggestions for where to mount my two infinite baffle wall subs on the side and rear walls, speak up.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
IMO, I think 5ft off the floor is a little low for a sconce. I've got mine at about 6'5". I guess it really depends on the type of sconce you're using. The reason why I have mine set so high is because I don't want to be able to look down into them and see the bulb.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I have always put my wall sconces on....
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

THE WALL:D

Thank you very much, I will be here all week.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I agree with Trevor. My sconces at 6'6" and I have a ceiling height of 7'2". I know thats close to the ceiling but I did'nt want them to be a distraction when watching a movie. Even with the lights dimmed really really low, they can be distracting if they are too low on the wall.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No comments on the placement? It seems a little bunched together on the picture, but may work in the real room.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
As far as placement is concerned, that really depends on the type of sconce you go with (i.e. throw pattern) and what type of 'mood' you're trying to set. I have a relatively smallish HT and I am going with 4 sconces, 2 on each wall. my room is a dedicated theater so I'm trying to keep it as dark and 'industrial' looking as possible, like a commercial theater.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Well, I put the request to move my sconce locations in, but it may already be too late. I asked for the back one to be centered on the back wall instead of based on the front wall. Also, the forward sconce is going to be centered between the back sconce and the front wall. Also, I asked for them to be 6'5". If they can't do any of this I don't think it will be a problem.

As for what kind of sconce it will be, I have barely begon to think about that yet. Too many things. Definitely not an expensive one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks