What's new

Where to find fellow musicians? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Anybody know a good place to find fellow musicians? I spent a good part of my youth playing in bands and now the bug has bit me again. I'm thinking maybe there's a website that lets me search for musicians from my area. If you know of any let me know. I'm sure someone in my part of Georgia is looking for a Robert Plant-ish vocalist to peel the paint from the walls. :)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Todd -

Your best bet may be to hit one of the smaller music or CD stores in your area and see what local magazines they have with classifieds. Some clubs that have live bands might also have them.

Another suggestion would be to check newsgroups for the music you like and post a message inquiring about fellow muscicians.

I found that most websites that had classifieds for musicians were either outdated or didn't get too specific with the location of people.

Another good way is to just get out and see some live bands that play the type of music you want to. Many shows have bands opening up that people don't know. That is good because almost everybody who does watch them will be from another band or a muscisican just checking them out. I've seen that happen a lot. There are lots of band members who love side projects. It's a good chance to network.

If you do put a classified in a local music magazine, specify your age and how old the other people you would like to play with should be. I know this sounds ridiculous but the last thing you need is to get all set to play and have high school kids show up to jam. You will also need to list your influences. Put a couple but pick one obscure band you adore. Somebody who sees it will know exactly where you are coming from whether you intend to sound like that band or not.

Matt

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I'm a practicing musician and I've had great luck finding other musicians through Harmony-Central, Gigfinder.com and many large cities have local websites for musicians just in that area. Some of the music stores in your area may have some ads up from musicians just like you looking for other players too. Good luck, sir.

George See

Second Unit
"Another suggestion would be to check newsgroups for the music you like and post a message inquiring about fellow muscicians. "

:D isn't that what he just did?

Anyway definently check your local music stores, I know the shop I buy my guitar strings at has an area in the back of the store where you can post want adds for musicians, like Punk Band needs Bass player, or Drummer looking for rock band etc etc. Also check with some of the Bars around you and see if they have open Mic nights, those are usually a great way (at least in my neck of the woods) to find other musicians.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Jam Nights! Find out what bars around you have jam nights and then go to them. These are the best way to network with other musicians. I can't count the amount of bands that have formed after a few guys were able to play together on stage at a Jam Night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks