What's new

Where to buy speakers online? (1 Viewer)

ChrisDS

Grip
Where do you guys recommend buying speakers online? I currently can't decide between Orb, Gallo, or Klipsch RVX-42. There is no place locally I can listen to any of these speakers so I only going by reveiws and recommendations.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is indeed a bit risky buying speakers on-line. It’s best to hear them first. On-line reviews can be iffy because what sounds good to one person doesn’t necessarily sound good to you. Go to a site that sells HTIB’s and you’ll see what I mean – plenty of reviews from people impressed with how good it sounds! Even if the reviewer is trusted, you can’t always go by that. I’ve heard speakers that got rave reviews from the magazines that I thought sounded absolutely dreadful.

One option in this internet age is to post a question on a forum’s speaker page saying you’re looking for someone in your area with XYZ speakers would let you come over and listen to them. Most enthusiasts are friendly and eager to help someone out.

If you do go with an on-line purchase, just make sure they have a generous return policy. Even at that, you can rack up a heck of a bill in return shipping charges (which you usually have to pay) if you have trouble finding some you like.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChrisDS

Grip
So how do the SVS compare the the Klipsch RSV-42? Just two of the Klipsch's cost about the same as the entire SVS 5.1 system. Am I paying for just the name with the Klipsch's? Why is there such a price difference?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I'm not well informed, but it looks like Orb speakers are Gallo knock-offs. Anthony Gallo has long history and good reputation building reference quality speakers.

To throw in the mix, HSU Ventriloquist is very well received. Mirage Microsat/Nanosat series gets good review as well. Celestion soundstyle series can be bought dirt cheap now that they are discontinued. (hint ebay) All three brands are much better known than Orbs.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

The SVS and Klipsch systems are going to sound very different. Klipsch speakers, especially their reference line, are known for being very detailed or bright (depending on who you talk to). The SVS speakers, on the other hand, tend to be referred to as flat or laid-back. I own the SVS speakers and I think they're great, but I have not listened to the others you mention.

From an aesthetics standpoint, the speakers are also very different. Those Klipsch speakers are made to be small or thin like a plasma television. The SVS speakers are more bulky like traditional speakers.

If you want something kind of in between these two systems (in price and sound) you might consider the Ascend Acoustics 340's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks