1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where is "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere"???!!!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff_HR, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Message #381 of 391 Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Although they got most every other MTM show Fox didn't want, which was pretty much everything other than The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Remington Steele, Shout! would rather do the likes of Saved by the Bell and Power Rangers in box sets. I still haven't forgiven NBC for pushing out all their Saturday morning cartoons for the former nor Fox for pushing out Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs for the latter, and I never will. My wallet needed a break anyway after a huge wave of shows I actually would watch with a gun to my head in addition to shows I'd been waiting to see finished for years and years along with this one.*

Let's face it: this is how the DVDs would look if they came out today. But at least DVDs would be yours as long as you wanted them. I really am trying to see all sides of this equation.

*That's why I don't buy them pleading poverty on either this or Silver Spoons, which is linked to St. Elsewhere by Crimson Tide, by Ray Walston guest appearances, the use of the song "Saving All My Love For You," and for it getting pushed to syndication for another show Chad Allen was on: Our House, which also ended in 1988 after failing to beat Disney in the race to come in second opposite 60 Minutes. Thank goodness for Sony's Fraggle Rock Blu-ray set to remind me that some 1980s nostalgia really is justified.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

What happened with Time-Life tv on dvd?
    They should release St. Elsewhere.

They performed miracles with music rights-Wonder Years was one thing, but with China Beach I can't imagine the cost for the music justified the units sold.

bmasters9 and MatthewA like this.
  3. Message #383 of 391 Nov 2, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    China Beach was only on for three years, so that likely made it less costly. I didn't watch that show, so I don't know whether they used the real versions of popular songs or soundalikes.

For St. Elsewhere, most of the pop songs they used, not counting times a character sung them or quoted their lyrics in dialogue, were all soundalikes rather than original recordings.* Since it was shot on film, the licensing rule that enabled WKRP to afford the actual versions of the songs they used by shooting on tape didn't apply. Once TV post-production switched to tape, that point became moot and the rule went away.

*With Bosom Buddies, eventually they decided they'd rather have the real Stephanie Mills instead of a fake Billy Joel. Meanwhile, another show Terence Knox was on, Tour of Duty, used "Paint it Black" by The Rolling Stones as its theme, now gone from its DVD in this country but not in the UK. Apparently, it is in the US and the US alone where one sector of the entertainment industry can legally hold another one over a barrel over a few seconds of music.

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. Message #384 of 391 Nov 2, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Anyone who can write a bad review of the "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well..." BD and then, in the same post, go on to successfully unload and sell it possess more powers than is known to man; be it here or Elsewhere.;)

Mike Frezon and MatthewA like this.
  5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

Philip's got a point (even though I hope he meant a "negative review" rather than a "bad review." :D )

But with great power comes great responsibility. I hope to realize that I must use this power just for "good."

6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    I thought it was on for 4 (first one being a midseason replacement).

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You are correct. I said "three years" because I was thinking in terms of calendar years rather than TV seasons. Even so, they cleared 94% of the original music in that case.

bmasters9 likes this.
  8. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    Pretty impressive just the same!

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Heavens to Betsy, the interface on HULU is antiquated, archaic.
    St. Elsewhere..I'm not sure what exactly I'm dealing with here. Some eps. are 46 minutes, some are 49. Some seem SD, and others look like HD(I couldn't figure the source display on HULU). At any rate St. Elsewhere doesn't feel like it is ready for prime time yet especially with a bulk of the episodes being cut.

MatthewA and bmasters9 like this.
  10. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    Difficult to select episodes, perhaps?

11. Message #391 of 391 Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Doing better than this would require going back to the negatives just as CBS did for MacGyver. That would mean actually finding them. Except with MacGyver, the only change in ownership has been from Paramount to CBS. The MTM Productions library has now been sold four times: first from MTM to TVS, then from TVS to Pat Robertson's International Family Entertainment*, and from IFE to News Corporation who merged it into Fox. Now guess who owns Fox!

*Though his attempts to expand into series drama never caught on (despite some success in TV-movies other than sending the Facts of Life girls around the world), Norman Lear never would have sold out to him in a million years. It was IFE who let all the music licenses lapse after the short-lived MTM Home Video venture brought many of the shows out for the first time with original music, including flops such as The Duck Factory that haven't made it to DVD