What's new

Where do dead DVD's go? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Where do dead DVD's go? I ask because I have had a few defective disks I had to return to a seller (Amazon), and in two cases, the producing company (as distinct from the selling company), replying to an email from me before I made a return to Amazon, said some disks from some batches had been badly produced, and I should be able to get a replacement one. (In the case of one from Anchor Bay, I couldn't get a reply, and still have a non-playing disk of Wicker Man.)

Question - Would the producing company not want to get the defective disks back, and be able to make sure the sellers had corrected copies for consumers? How would they do that?

Because, even if the producing company would want that, its very hard to do that with an online business, where you are essentially dealing with Robo-clerk. In 3 of these cases, with 3 different producers, I have never been confident I could get a corrected copy of the movie I want, and have had to settle for a refund.

As for the dud disks, I wonder if a lot of them just don't get re-shrink wrapped, and sold again, in the expectation or hope that they will play on the next buyer's machine, or not get played soon enough and the buyer doesn't feel right about sending it back, if he eventually discovers it won't play for him/her either? Do a lot of those defective disks just end up in used CD stores?

Wouter Heyse

Agent
I bet they go to DVD hell for not living up to the DVD commandments, the first of which should be:

The DVD has to work

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I know a video store that must have got a ton of "recalled" Columbia Tri-star DVDs cheap (defective discs of Ghostbusters & Komodo, and Leon with the defective 5.1 track). They are blowing them out at 2 for 10.OO CDN. I think they know about the problems with the discs but probably figure the price is so cheap, most people won't bother bringing them back. Gee, its nice to see stores intentionally ripping off their customers!

John Watson

Screenwriter
I'm afraid that's probably what happens.
Did anyone, anywhere, ever have a corrected Wicker man set?
It seems studios will only take interest if the defective disk is the kind that would be talked about on Entertainment tonight type TV shows.
I wish DVD was as reliable as CD - :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks