What's new

Where can I find a Giant Insect DV film technique? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I am really wanting to make a low budget miniDV giant insect spoof film and would like to have some nuts and bolts instructions on how to pull this off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!!!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, there are several ways to do it

1- rotoscoping, cookie cuttering out your guys and sticking them into giant insect footage

2- bluescreening

Getting your real close-in shots of the bugs is going to be a challenge though

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Detailed miniature backgrounds and props in small glass or plastic aquariums? That could confine the "actors", though how you get them to attack the "people", I don't know.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Another possibility: Get somebody to put on a low-budget insect suit. Works best for spoofs of things like "The Fly".

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
If you want to shoot real insects, an achromatic diopter (macro zoom lens) might be of use. Possibly not in the budget though, depending on the size of your camera's lens.

Look into Pinnacle Systems' Commotion Pro software for rotoscoping. It can give you good results if you want to put serious time into this. If you want to spoof bad special effects, blue screening should make it easy, and a lot of software, such as Premiere, can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks