What's new

Where can I buy the French DVD of 'MULHOLLAND DRIVE'? (1 Viewer)

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Yes, please let us know more info such as specs, whether the supplements are in english and so forth.
A review would be nice. I would definitely repurchase this one.

RichSL

Agent
Supplements are in English with the exception of the interview with the set designer, i believe...however all feature NON REMOVABLE french subtitles as does the actual film itself also.

Also unlike the R1 release the film doesn't have a DTS sound option.

Incidentally you can also obtain a 3 disc 'The Man Who Wasn't There' along with an impending 4!! disc Ultimate Edition of 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf' in France.

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
You axed for it:

Disc 1, the movie, has extremely poor looking video. Compression and banding artifacts are visible. The Region 1 DVD is superior, even though I wasn't too thrilled with the video quality of the R1 disc. Audio is 5.1 DD English and a 5.1 DD French dubtrack. Subtitles are in French only and are non-removeable. If you are interested in this DVD solely because you want better audio or video, avoid this release at all costs. Yes, it includes the blurring of Ms. Harring's lower body.

Disc 2, the supplements, includes a wonderful 23 minute long behind the scenes piece. Includes brief interviews with the stars of the film and is very entertaining. Also shows Naomi Watts' strange habit of preparing for a scene before the cameras roll (you'll know it when you see it). I think this may be from the electronic press kit. Don't know, since I don't have it. Also includes the press conference at Cannes with David Lynch, Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux and Angelo Badalamenti. It runs for about 18 minutes and also shows Lynch accepting the award at Cannes. Interesting, though not essential. Another supplement is some small photos of various locations used in the film with Lynch's commentary (in French). Next is an interview with Angelo Badalamenti that runs about 16 minutes. This was done in what appears to be a hotel bar. he comes across as such a nice guy who really loves music and working with David Lynch. He plays a piece from Twin Peaks on the Bar's piano and offers some interesting anecdotes, including the persona behind Mr. Coffee in Mulholland Drive. An interview with Mary Sweeney (Lynch's film editor/girlfriend) can also be found. It runs about 6 minutes, but Sweeney shows off by talking en Francais the whole time. Of course, no English subtitles. Finally, you get brief biographies (in French of course) on the major cast & crew of the film. I haven't found any Easter eggs. Bear in mind, any time someone speaks English, it is subtitled and can't be removed. There is no reason to buy this disc unless you want the supplements. I really, really enjoyed the behind the scenes piece and the interview with Badalamenti. The Cannes press conference was interesting. The rest, I could live without. Is it worth it? For me yes, because I am a mega Lynch fan. Your mileage may vary.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
James - I have used this site (based in Belgium ?)
www.dvdzone2.com and they list the film as follows ...
Side : Single
Regional coding (zone2) : yes
Audio :
English : DTS
French : DTS
English : Dolby Digital 5.1
French : Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles : French
Special features :
N/A
Interactive menu : yes
Scene selection : yes
Theatrical teaser : N/A
Restrictions :
12/09/2002
Runtime : 146 mins
Our Price : 22.99 Euros
HTH - Paul ;)

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Try
http://www.play.com
Delivered (included) anywhere in Europe £14.99.
(Sorry - checked - this is just R2 but not necessarily including French - but leaving this post as someone else may be looking for R2 at good price)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Paul B., beware that sometimes different versions of a DVD are released in france (amazon.fr, cinestore,... ) than in Belgium (dvdzone2), as there's sometimes differences between US and Canadian DVD edition of a movie. It seems that's than case with Mulholland Dr. (the cover appears to be different).

Vincent

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Paul B., beware that sometimes different versions of a DVD are released in france (amazon.fr, cinestore,... ) than in Belgium (dvdzone2), as there's sometimes differences between US and Canadian DVD edition of a movie. It seems that's than case with Mulholland Dr. (the cover appears to be different).
Correct.
The French R2 Mulholand Drive is exclusive to France, as is the 3-disc version of The Man Who Wasn't There (also with burnt in subs :frowning: ).

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Mark & Vincent - Yes I was aware of this - the site I mentioned will always show if its the French or Dutch or whatever version and are very helpful replying to any queries (I mentioned to them recently that Delicassen was not on their site & they were most apologetic)
Paul ;)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
It's even worse... There's sometimes a French, a Belgian and a Dutch version! Even though I'm aware of this, I got made for Thirteen Days: The version sold on DVDZone2 hasn't got the commentaries !
Cheers,
Vincent

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Andy, do not waste your time or effort on the Korean Region 0 NTSC DVD of Mulholland Drive. I've seen it myself (I own one of them).

At first I thought what I was seeing, on the extras, was an English language documentary from which the Korean distributor had removed all the English narration, and removed everything else that couldn't be easily subtitled. I mean, I was scratching my head wondering why the screen would go black, then there would be a minute of behind the scenes footage that seemed to be taken from someone's home camcorder, then black, and so on.

But the review you linked to explains why this is; note the review carefully when it says:

"First up are three extras taken straight from Universal's video presskit, which was created for media outlets to take soundbites and footage from for their own news stories."

What they mean, and what you get, is not an edited documentary. You get meaningless b-roll - and I say meaningless because it isn't even interesting. It is quite literally just a few minutes of random behind the scenes footage. Not even interesting behind the scenes footage either - simply footage that a show could excerpt a couple seconds of, such as a shot of Lynch smoking a cigarette while looking at a monitor while a camera rolls. Yippee.

The Interview segments are no better. There's no context for anything that Watts or Lynch says. You learn nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing at all, about the film from the brief "interview" clips. Again, it looks like they simply put on a couple minutes of each person from which a skilled editor might be able to get five to ten seconds of usable material.

The "Music Video" is laughable - we're talking Junior High School level "let's edit some footage to a song" quality. And even at that, I've seen better junior high school editing. We're not talking "music video" in the modern sense of the word. We're talking about someone with a few minutes cut together some footage and laid in a song. Only straight cuts, no creative editing at all.

Truly appalling in every way.

The video quality is also terrible.

Avoid the Korean dvd.

Sounds like the French DVD may be worth getting, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks