What's new

Where are the live concert DVD-A/SACD's? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Webb

Agent
Does anyone know why we have not seen more live recordings released in a multi-channel format? The two would seem to be a perfect fit. I can imagine listening to the "Doors in Concert" recording and hearing the band coming from the front, the crowd reacting in the rear channels, giving you the feel of being right there in the arena.

Hopefully, 2003 will bring some live recordings to the DVD-Audio/SACD format.

Kevin

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, yeah good question. I can only think of two DVD-A live releases... Allman Bros. and (I think) 38 Special.

Side note, I was listening to the Doors - Live in Detroit, over the weekend in Logic 7 mode on my HK reciever... and The End came forth. Jim and John were in the center channel, Ray on the left side front and back, and Robby on the right side front and back. Very hypnotic and very trippy, almost felt like I was on drugs. Anyways, it got me to thinking later as to why that sounded so damn good, when most other live music doesn't sound quite so sweet in surround mode... and then it occured to me... the Doors had no bass player.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There are a number of live SACDs. One of my favorites is Night in San Francisco guitar trio with Al Dimeola and friends. Beautiful sonics and performance.
There is Bruce Springsteen concert in New York, live performances on the Red Rose sampler, and Buck Pizzarelli Swing Live from Chesky.
Some of the location recording in SACD has been hampered by availability of DSD editing equipment which started to be introduced in August of 2002. Now it is no problem.
:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There are two Earth, Wind, and Fire live albums on SACD from Sony.

The Allman Bros live album from the Fillmore East is a DTS CD, not a DVD-A.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And one of the finest ever live recordings is on multichannel SACD - "JAZZ AT THE PAWNSHOP".

Also very notable are the Doug Sax mastered SACDs of Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Debby" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Another concert SACD is The Concert for New York City. Miles Davis Jazz at the Plaza is a concert SACD, as is Black Beauty: Miles Davis at Fillmore West. I don't have Live -- Evil or Dark Magus, but aren't they concert recordings as well? Finally, what about the Telarc Dave Brubeck 40th Anniversary Tour of the U.K. and Celebrating the Music of Weather Report? Aren't those live concerts?

MichaelTa

Agent
Another Stoney Evening by David Crosby and Graham Nash is now out on DVD-A. It contains MLP 5.1, DTS and PCM 2.0 Stereo all in 96/24. Am listening to the 5.1 and I do like what I hear. Music from the front and crowd-room-space from the surrounds. Sorry, should of reread thread because last time I did the post saying pretty much what I just said was not there. But all in all a good disc to listen to.

KendallT

Agent
Also, there is Neil Young's "Road Rock V1". I'm curious though if anyone else out there has this disc - even though it sports the DVD-Audio logo there doesn't seem to be ANY center channel output and the surround channels are minimally used!

Unfortunately this was the first DVD-A disc I purchased with my new player/reciever and I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the hardware, the cable or the software. Since then I've purchased 2 more DVD-A discs and they have plenty of center and surround channel output. So I wonder, is the Neil Young disc purposely recorded without a center channel feed?

-Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks