Where's Sade on sacd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Jan 1, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I've got her "love deluxe" (exactly how it's spelled!) album, her greatest hits CD and I just received her "sade lovers live" concert dvd for X-mas. Super chill-out music: I haven't met anyone who doesn't like this beautiful woman's music. At cduniverse.com: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=133846053
    Anyhoo......
    How come Sony won't put any of her stuff on sacd? The sound quality is awesome and much of it is well-suited for an m/c presentation.
    Contract problems? Sony's sacd division short on yen? Any other ideas?
    Keeping in mind the five pages so far of the DSOTM sacd thread and what ITS discussion turned into [​IMG], I would like to know what it takes to take an existing title & convert it into a hi-rez release. NOT the technical part, but the business end. This obviously could apply to dvd-audio too.
    There is so much music out there waiting to be heard more clearly. What's the hold-up?
    Thanks.
    LJ

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, it could be a contractual issue or Sony Music simply has not committed resources to putting Sade on SACD. One of her titles was listed once as a forthcoming SACD release, but that was a long time ago. I'd love to hear Diamond Life on SACD.

Similar to Sade, I am still waiting for Sony to put Simon & Garfunkel on SACD. We finally got Springsteen, but it was a newer live album. I want Born in the U.S.A., Born to Run, etc. on SACD. Likewise, where are Madonna, Prince, and Dire Straits on DVD-Audio (all Warner artists)?

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thanks for replying Keith. I guess it seems suspicious I'm asking about Sade since I am into dvd-audio but I don't have any hidden/dark motives for asking. And just in case "my" format bites the big one, I want to be prepared!
    As far as Prince is concerned, I know he has had some major problems with Warner. Madonna? She's a smart business woman (she set up the "Maverick" label, a Warner subsidiary, to help showcase female artists), so I am guessing she might be a) making sure dvd-audio is semi-successful before putting her personal name on any dvd-audio releases b) her music is highly produced, so remixing into m/c form probably takes a long time. I read somewhere she supposedly has a clause in her contract that guarantees a certain minimum sound quality recording standards. I beleive this: I have her "Immaculate Collection" and that CD sounds excellent, and I don't mean just for a pop title either. and I'll almost guarantee if she does release a dvd-audio, it will have lots of video content, a super slick menu/interface system and eye-catching packaging. All of which take a long time to put together (i.e. authoring). Along with (I hope!) a decent marketing campaign. Sade reminds me a little of Madonna--a woman you don't mess with and has keen people-handling abilities.
    Dire Straits: no clue at all. And they are a natural for a hi-rez/multichannel format. And (hehe) the music is great too!
    LJ

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, no problem. I agree with your points about Madonna and Prince. Still, I'd love to see them on DVD-Audio. As for Dire Straits, if Brothers in Arms ever comes out on DVD-Audio, look out. I will camp out at Best Buy to get my copy. Better stay out of my way that day. [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

On the jazz end, notice that all of the Sony's SACDs are released as new remastered redbook versions are also released. I think there is some sort of business connection there- the titles chosen for SACD have something to do with how the redbooks are handled.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, to an extent, that is true with older Sony rock and pop titles too. Many of them have been issued as remastered CDs. An exception, at least somewhat, is Boston Boston. I say "somewhat" because this title has not been released as a remastered CD in the US, but it has in Europe. I bought an SBM-remastered version when I was in the UK in 2001. Also, Sony released an SBM-remastered gold CD in the US years ago.