What's new

Pre-Order When Worlds Collide (1951) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Please, Paramount, release this in the States under your "Paramount Presents" moniker, as well as other Imprint (Australia) titles you have released: NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, SORRY, WRONG NUMBER, A PLACE IN THE SUN (done correctly), I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE, etc.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Please, Paramount, release this in the States under your "Paramount Presents" moniker, as well as other Imprint (Australia) titles you have released: NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, SORRY, WRONG NUMBER, A PLACE IN THE SUN (done correctly), I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE, etc.
If Paramount decides to release The Day of the Locust they need to do better on improving the image as compared to the Imprint release. I have the Imprint Blu-ray and it looks awful. Liked When Worlds Collide when i was a kid but i viewed my dvd last year i thought it was ok.

Last edited:

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
If Paramount decides to release The Day of the Locust they need to do better on improving the image as compared to the Imprint release. I have the Imprint Blu-ray and it looks awful. Liked When Worlds Collide when i was a kid but i viewed my dvd last year i thought it was ok.
I concur! THE DAY OF THE LOCUST is a fascinating, sometimes extraordinary, always compelling film but that transfer from imprint...? IT'S A HOT MESS!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
if that $150 blu ray of When Worlds Collide had free shipping, I’d be tempted. ;)

Hopefully when the US Region A version is released, I hope it will have the same extras.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Remember everyone, When Worlds Collide is available streaming in HD from many sources. At Amazon Prime it looked very good ( and I'm picky).

This movie is of the same caliber as War Of The Worlds and I would buy a Criterion Blu-ray of it in a heartbeat, until then....

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I love this movie and got the recent Imprint blu ray. Wish I had better news. Speckles, stains, and lint everywhere on the source used for the transfer. It has Technicolor registration errors, color breathing, and other issues. This is obviously an older transfer. Glad I now have it on blu, but a major disappointment. If you purchase it, set your expectations low. Guess I was expecting the kind of restoration Paramount did for WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Bonus features include about 90 minutes worth of interviews from THE FANTASY FILM WORLDS OF GEORGE PAL, but curiously not the documentary itself.
Frankly, I was overjoyed that this Blu-ray of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE wasn't tampered with by often over-ambitious restorers. It plays like a beautiful Technicolor print from the era in which it was made. Sure, you can see that wire pulling the ship across the new planet, but frankly, I think we should see it, as it reminds us of what Oscar-winning special effects were capable of and not capable of back in 1951. It's history, folks, and it's accurate. I'll take this over a re-baked THE WAR OF THE WORLDS with a new color palette throughout, wrongly colored planets, a different balance of light and dark, etc. Most fans don't seem to care 'cause the new TWOTW is so darned pretty... and it is, without question, a truly breathtaking colorfest. But I prefer the original color scheme and timing, thank you. Unlike WAR, this edition of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE won't require Criterion's restoration of the restoration (!), because it's correct to begin with.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Remember everyone, When Worlds Collide is available streaming in HD from many sources. At Amazon Prime it looked very good ( and I'm picky).

This movie is of the same caliber as War Of The Worlds and I would buy a Criterion Blu-ray of it in a heartbeat, until then....
I will respectfully disagree. WOTW is a much better film. Better acting for sure and much more entertaining. I can enter the universe of WOTW but not WWC.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
One thought did occur to me, amd it’s strictly just for fun. Which film had the better leading lady?

Ann Robinson in The War of the Worlds or Barbara Rush in When Worlds Collide? :). I think there was some criticism that Robinson was acting scared most of the time and screaming. While Rush was kind of cool as there was a romance brewing between her and Richard Derr’s character, to the chagrin of her fiancée.

Both films have a pretty decent musical score by Leith Stevens too.

( And of course Rush was married to Jeffrey Hunter who went on to Star Trek along with John Hoyt. )

The War of the Worlds is the bettered remembered film in popular culture, but I think When Worlds Collide is on par with WOTW. And I hope it will be available on blu ray.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I agree that THE WAR OF THE WORLDS is a stronger film, but WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE remains a fine companion piece, with many things in common with TWOTW. It's kind of like Hammer's THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN being an excellent horror movie, but their DRACULA '58 was even better, and made a bigger impact.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I find WWC and WotW pretty much on par with each other. Both great films. Not sure which one I’d say is better. But I WILL say Destination Moon is better than both. :biggrin:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I find WWC and WotW pretty much on par with each other. Both great films. Not sure which one I’d say is better. But I WILL say Destination Moon is better than both. :biggrin:
Unfortunately for fans of DM that want it on blu-ray two initials: WW :(

We'll probably have to stick to the Image DVDs ... :(
1612638258963.png

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
All four of George Pal's 1950s science fiction movies have their charms. DESTINATION MOON is the pseudo-documentary of the bunch, while 1955's CONQUEST OF SPACE was Pal's only widescreen (1.85) sci-fi offering from this period (it's available on Blu-ray in Europe). It was years before I realized that CONQUEST OF SPACE had somehow morphed into an unsold 1959 b/w TV pilot called DESTINATION SPACE, which starred Harry Townes and John Agar. Its modest production values were bolstered by stock footage and the music score from CONQUEST.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Revisiting my iTunes digital version of this now as I’m in the midst of a vintage space movie kick, and imagine my surprise when they called out August 12th as the day the world would end… so, umm, happy August 12th guys!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Revisiting my iTunes digital version of this now as I’m in the midst of a vintage space movie kick, and imagine my surprise when they called out August 12th as the day the world would end… so, umm, happy August 12th guys!
Yes. When I was 11, "When Worlds Collide" was a favorite book of mine, and I always got a bit nervous on August 12th.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
When I saw this thread had new posts, I thought maybe there was an announcement that this film was finally getting an official Paramount blu ray release for region A. Oh well.

Funny about August 12th, I have been holding out re-watching this film in hopes of a new blu ray. So I’d forgotten about the date Bellas will hit the Earth.

Sometimes with the current state of the world, it feels like the end of the world is coming.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes. When I was 11, "When Worlds Collide" was a favorite book of mine, and I always got a bit nervous on August 12th.
Did the movie give a year or just a month and day? Ironically, I’ve been reading about a meteorite, Bintu, I think. They’ve come up with a more reliable date when it might be a problem, which is next century and even then it’s not an extension level event. And even then the odds are against a collision. It could do substantial damage.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I only recall a date, I think I would have remembered to specify a year if they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks