John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Even when I first saw this, more than 50 years ago, I thought it odd that every single person chosen for survival was white. The film is very beautiful in its Chesley Bonestell moments. But it would have gone down a treat in Nazi Germany. And in the Deep South.
Gimme me a break.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Wow, just saw this thread. I first reaction when I saw the banner image of the ship on the tracks was, Really!? I’ve been hoping and hoping that like War of the Worlds, if this will get a blu ray release. I’m very happy that War of the Worlds is coming out on blu ray next week.

So I hope that When Worlds Collide will also have a US release hi-def release. It’s promising now.

Reactions: Paul_Warren

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
You’re being very negative and at the same time reluctant to clarify your comments as politely requested.
Okay, Here's what I didn't like about post #19. I've lived in three Southern states and have known many fine people from the South. I didn't like the South being lumped in with Nazi Germany. Political comments are supposed to be forbidden here.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Okay, Here's what I didn't like about post #19. I've lived in three Southern states and have know many fine people from the South. I didn't like the South being lumped in with Nazi Germany. Political comments are supposed to be forbidden here.
First, post 19 is not mine. I live just outside of Little Rock and yes, there are many fine people here. But this is also the city where the the national guard was required to integrate Central High School. But yeah, Nazi Germany was going to far. Is it political to discuss issues of morality?

Thank you for having the courtesy to express your specific feelings.

Reactions: Tino and Brent Reid

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I certainly did not intend to link the South with Nazi Germany. As was clear in my post, I simply meant that the result of the selection process for that survival ship would have been met with approbation in both. Quite a different sort of logical argument. And pretty irrefutable when you view the evidence in the movie. It can of course be put down to the usual casting decisions back when the movie was made. Whatever the reason, the outcome is pretty disturbing.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I just looked up Amazon Australia and it is pre-order Aug for A$34 with free postage for me(their warehouse is also near my home) and JBHiFi is A$30 in store and about $2 postage but I love across the street from one of their many stores and another about 8mins drive away. Prices often lower later, if still available. There are often Buy One and Get One Free or Buy Two and Get One Free or 20% off sales at JBHiFi.
JBHiFi has been going since the late 1970s when the founder opened a store in his garage across town from me. They own or owned a Bra shop chain also and merged an electrical goods store competition into their business in recent times and kept the name. They have destroyed a lot of business who sold music on LPs, CDs etc, so many old names have folded now. It is the prices and the stock carried and the ability to have lone copies of an item sent over from another store in the chain for no extra cost or held for the client go and collect at the other store. Stores are packed and not well laid out and often small store floor area deliberately. Plenty of work for security guards at the front door of the stores and always gas been. My Dell 27" monitor came from them in Feb as the only one available , they say, with inbuilt speakers which I wanted. I lost mine and some other items when I had lightning strike my home on Feb 14.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Are there any more thoughts on a U.S. release??Perhaps someone may have some "reliable" rumors??

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
This is such a great 50's movie, and it is nice to see it is being released as a blu ray.
Can anyone give some insight into a likely U.S. (region A) release? It would make a wonderful triple header with WAR OF THE WORLD, TIME MACHINE and WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE. Or perhaps split that up and make a second day of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE and ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS. i am hoping for a domestic release!

Reactions: Sinbad75

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Remember when all anyone here wanted to know was if it was a good-looking transfer? I am so tired of poliitics polluting everything. Worry about things you can control, and how 1950s films were cast ain't one of them.
I think it’s ok to write about the inherent racism that exists in a movie. BTW, a moral issue isn’t always political.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t know, if you watch a movie from the classic era and are surprised that everybody is white, wears a hat and smokes like a chimney, it must be your first experience.
All I’m saying is it’s valid to comment on the issue. Particularly when the movie is going to establish an all-white society on another planet.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711