What's new

When does Walmart start selling new releases? (1 Viewer)

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Not sure if this belongs in the DVD forum or not, but does anyone know around what time Walmart starts selling their new releases? I'm bored tonight and have yet to see Reloaded...

Devin U

Second Unit
I work nights and have picked up new releases at about 7 am. Im working a half night tonight and will try it at 1 am. The problem buying it early is, they dont lower the price to the absolute lowest price they will have on it untill mid morning when they can call and survey all the competitors prices in the area. So you're gonna pay 19.87 early this morning, but go back tonight and they will credit you the diffrence (Im guessing they will have this for 14.87).

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Just picked it up for $16.50 after tax. They didn't have them out yet but a guy working there just asked if that's what I wanted. You may have already left to get it but just letting you know that it looks to be under their advertised price.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the stocking habits vary by location.

My local store puts out the biggest titles at midnight, and marks them with a price they determined within the past 24-48 hours based on available ads they take from the Sunday paper.

Around 6-7 they start putting out the rest of the stuff, as the day shift arrives. Prior to 7 you have to buy this stuff only at the electronics dept. counter in order to get the lower price, because it's not in the store computer yet. At 7 they officially "turn on" the competitive pricing so you can buy it at any register at that price. By Noon they have checked all competitors a final time and adjusted their prices to what it's gonna be.

However, by Noon they can potentially be sold out of some things that they didn't get a lot of stock on, so I swing by there on my way IN to work (6:30-ish or so when I usually arrive). If I feel the need to check again on the way home (sometimes stuff doesn't arrive until the actual street date) then I do...it's VERY close to my house.

If I need to make adjustments on the price I usually do it the following weekend.

I won't be getting Matrix Reloaded there, though, because of Best Buy's exclusive bonus disc. Reasonable at the $14.99 price BB will sell it for, and an extra disc of extras (heh) is nice. But I know Wal-Mart's gonna have it for less ($14.24 or lower), so if you don't care about the extra disc then hit 'em.

Brad M

Second Unit
I'll also be picking it up at Best Buy but not just for the extra disc. I don't want to drive to Wal-Mart to find that they have only stocked the pan and scan version and have skipped the widescreen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I was by Wal-Mart already. They DID have the Widescreen version. I rarely find them not stocking the wide version of a new release.

BTW, I got Black Sunday at Wal-Mart this morning for $5.88!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I got Black Sunday at Wal-Mart this morning for $5.88!
That's a dang good price. But it's still higher (after the dreaded sales tax) than the price tag at DDD. Might as well GIVE it away it seems. How can this $5 price possibly be profitable, esp. a brand-new first-run release? No complaints though. :)

(Of course, David L., you have your copy in your paws right now. I'll have to wait for a few days [damn Columbus Day holiday! Sorry, Christopher...no offense...you did a great job getting us here. It's just that your holiday slows down our all-important DVD orders.]) :D

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... "When does Wal-Mart start selling their new releases?"

Answer - Anytime they want!!! They're Wal-Mart!!! Release dates? We don't have to adhere to no stinkin' release dates.

Sorry, had a couple bad experiences there and just needed to vent for a minute - I'm better now...

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks