What's new

When do you think we will se a 7.1 surround format? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Title says it all, when do you think Dolby, DTS or otherwise will come out with a 7.1 surround format or start to encode DVD’s with them rather? I would think that its right around the corner, as I remember three years ago only the flagship receivers had 7.1 channels, now today you can get a 7.1 channel receiver for around $500, and it seems that some flagships are now offering 9.1.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I'd just be happy if they ever used the step-up 6.1 format they already introduced (EX or ES). Some in the industry are pushing for 10 channels.

I don't know about you, but i'm very tired of all these new surround sound format introductions with little or no product released afterward to support them. (DTS is the absolute worst offender in my eyes.)

Start releasing titles that support the last format upgrade first, then maybe, just maybe, i'll start to think about what I now consider to be yet another useless upgrade to my equipment.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
They ought to try out a new format that duplicates the classic 6-track magnetic sound of 70mm prints. Have 5 channels in the front, plus split surrounds in the back.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Sony already has a 7.1 sound format called SDDS, but so far, it is only used in theaters. I've never been impressed by it, either.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That's the hardware manufacuters trying to make you think you need an upgrade, which has almost nothing to do with what formats are used by the content providers.

M.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Having that many sources of sound sounds great but when are we going to grow more ears to hear those extra channels
:D I have Dolby Pro-Logic thru Sennheiser DSP_PRO from Fostex T-40 and Denon AH D750 full size PQ Stereo Headphones. I have liked Fostex since I seen Lorrie Morgan using them in DVD Beach Boys: Nashville Sounds 1998 (Lorrie sings "Don't Worry Baby" backed up by Beach Boys harmony). I can't have speakers I ran into trouble getting my last disturbing the peace fine $125 in 1994.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks