What's new

What's your Internet Speed and how much speed matters? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The main point of this thread is to find out what kind of Internet Speed you are getting at home.

That is the question I hope everyone will take the time to answer.

However, I am going to expand this question a little further for those that want to take more time to add to their reply.....

I am on Verizon Fios. Currently, I am subscribed to 75Mbps download/upload speed.

Not the fastest out there. I know Google Fiber trumps anything that's available.

However, how much speed is enough?

For instance, I can go to 100Mbps for $15 more a month; 150Mbps for $25 more a month; 300Mbps for $55 more a month; 750Mbps for $105 more a month.

Now I do a lot of downloading of files. The Internet is definitely my friend. I would almost upgrade to 750Mbps.

However, is it worth it?

I always thought that your Internet connection can only go as fast as to whatever site it is connecting to. That being said, I would imagine every site out there is capable of handling that kind of speed.

What are your thoughts?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I’m on 200 down/20 up from Mediacom cable, and I see about 150 down 25 up realistically. My charge is about $69/month and the only reason I am on this vs a cheaper plan is the 2TB limit since I now stream UHD a lot from Amazon and Netflix. Mediacom is rolling out gigabit soon, but I don’t really see the point. 150 down is ridiculously fast, and all I really need for UHD streaming is about 25 down reliably.

I think gigabit is about $110/month, and I will not be paying for that, 200 down is more than enough.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm 50/50, renewed at the start of the year upping from 25/25. I took the speed increase because it was basically free.

How much does speed matter? Depends on your needs. If you're streaming Netflix HD to a single display then you need 5Mbps down and that's about it. For me, I think that buffering and the time to get to solid HD playback is improved from when I was at 15/15 a couple years ago. But otherwise, I notice the difference when I'm downloading iOS updates (gigabytes of files). It's also nice that multiple devices are online concurrently, the effect is less noticeable. Of course, If you're downloading gigabytes of files routinely, then you'll want as fast as you can afford.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm on 30 down and 5 up through Shaw Cable in Canada. I do not believe I have ever hit 30Mbps down, even with the level of streaming I do. Download speed is based on the delivery capability of the source, as well as distance and routing to the source. Upgrading to higher speeds, to me, only makes sense if a person is starting to see noticeable lag in download or upload performance or if the cost of an upgrade to a faster speed is minimal.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
25 down, 1.5 up.

Works just fine for streaming, surfing, etc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Formally known as Verizon Fios but now Frontier Fiber Optic

150 mbps up/ 150 mbps

Speed Test 2_7_2017.jpg

100 mbps would make large files download faster so you may want to at least jump up to that speed.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Just to put some checks and balance into this thread, I'm with BT (one of the main telephone/broadband operators here in the UK) We're located in the 'rural fringe' and due to the length of the line to our property. we get 1.8 down and about 0.2 up. There's no sign of an upgrade unless we opt to go to satellite - at an eye-watering price.
What's streaming? ;)

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just to put some checks and balance into this thread, I'm with BT (one of the main telephone/broadband operators here in the UK) We're located in the 'rural fringe' and due to the length of the line to our property. we get 1.8 down and about 0.2 up. There's no sign of an upgrade unless we opt to go to satellite - at an eye-watering price.
What's streaming?

People in rural areas do get the shaft and, in Canada, you don't have to go very far to be rural. My sister and her husband live only a twenty minute drive out of town, and they have to use cell-based internet to get anything close to decent speeds.

"Streaming" is the continual download of audio and/or visual data over the internet from a central server system. Netflix is one of the better known movie streaming sites

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'm typically at 80-100 down and 10-15 up. I think it will matter a lot more as streaming kills off physical media for non-hobbyists. I'm hoping that the ISPs can make some fundamental improvements to the networks. I'd live to see something more mesh oriented or like bit torrent behind the scenes where everyone isn't pulling the same file over the entire infrastructure but just over the "last mile".

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
About 45/6 with Uverse. With just two of us streaming at the same time, it's fine. I can stream 4K HDR while my wife simultaneously streams 1080P.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I doubt you'll believe me, but I have Comcast Internet.

3 mbps down
< 1 mbps up

$39.95 per month.

I don't do video streaming. YouTube works, but there are buffering issues most times.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
25up and down $30/mo no contract FIOS, it's a "cord-cutter special" any FIOS customers can ask for. it's all i need :) pretty stable/reliable.

i think $40/mo gets you more... maybe 50? i can't remember. 25 is all i need. i work from home so upload is more important to me than download.

ddougb

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Bulot
The main point of this thread is to find out what kind of Internet Speed you are getting at home.

That is the question I hope everyone will take the time to answer.

However, I am going to expand this question a little further for those that want to take more time to add to their reply.....

I am on Verizon Fios. Currently, I am subscribed to 75Mbps download/upload speed.

Not the fastest out there. I know Google Fiber trumps anything that's available.

However, how much speed is enough?

For instance, I can go to 100Mbps for $15 more a month; 150Mbps for $25 more a month; 300Mbps for $55 more a month; 750Mbps for $105 more a month.

Now I do a lot of downloading of files. The Internet is definitely my friend. I would almost upgrade to 750Mbps.

However, is it worth it?

I always thought that your Internet connection can only go as fast as to whatever site it is connecting to. That being said, I would imagine every site out there is capable of handling that kind of speed.

What are your thoughts?
Hi, I have TWC now Spectrum 100mbs. I find that running OOKLA Speedtest that I consistently download in excess of 75 mbs. I stream all of the movies via Netflix, Amazon, HUlu, Vudu with no buffering and HD movies.

satcomm302

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
I just got AT&T Fiber installed this past Friday and it's pretty doggone fast at 946 Mbps down and 956 up. I had Xfinity before at 100 down and 6.0 up, so this is quite a difference. I stream all of my content including UHD and HDR, but haven't had the time to watch any movies on the new setup, yet; hopefully this weekend if everything calms down. I got a pretty sweet introductory special at $80/mo for the first year.

Speed Test 2-11-2017.jpg

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Frontier 50/50. Netflix is streamed almost constantly. And my wife and 3 kids are on their phones most of the time. No gamers, and i dont download or upload large files. Really netflix is it. 50 down works for us just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks