What's new

What's your Internet Speed and how much speed matters? (1 Viewer)

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
30 down and 8 up with Cox for $65/month. The only streaming I do is YouTube, which works fine.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I doubt you'll believe me, but I have Comcast Internet.
3 mbps down
< 1 mbps up
$39.95 per month.
I don't do video streaming. YouTube works, but there are buffering issues most times.

You must be almost as 'far from the exchange' as me! (see post 9) I know we're in the minority both on this site and in the real world (I'm told that only 5% of the UK is left with speeds less than 2megs) but unless there is massive investment to link us up to fibre and faster speeds, we need physical media to survive!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
You must be almost as 'far from the exchange' as me! (see post 9) I know we're in the minority both on this site and in the real world (I'm told that only 5% of the UK is left with speeds less than 2megs) but unless there is massive investment to link us up to fibre and faster speeds, we need physical media to survive!
I could get faster, but I can't justify the cost if all I'm doing is e-mail and online shopping.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
27 down / 9 up

Which is very good for this area of the UK! There's certainly no way of me getting any better speeds.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
6 down / 1.5 up terrestrial line-of-sight wireless for $100/mo. My ISP is absolutely raking us over the coals but our only other option is dial-up or satellite with low data caps, even lower speeds and higher prices.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
3 Mbs. on a good day from CenturyLink. It sucks and I'll be switching to Comcast/Xfinity later this month. Can't stand them, but they do provide much faster service.

Try to watch a TV show or movie, it's ridiculous. Walk away for about 20 minutes to let the buffer fill up. Even then you catch up with the data and have to wait again.

Dish for TV, which is great. This was part of one of their "triple play" promotions, TV, internet and phone, but they farm out the internet and phone to CenturyLink. They advertise great speeds, but in tiny print, the little gotcha, "not always guaranteed, possibly slower, etc..." I forget the exact words, but I certainly got the slower part of things.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My cable internet connection used to be 30/2 but Mediacom upgraded their network in my area in January so speed increased to 60/5 for $5 more bringing it to $55 a month. I would regularly see 28Mbps before the upgrade and now I get around 80Mbps. Seeing as how Netflix HD maxes out at around 7Mbps I'm not sure the speed increase is relevant but my usage limit of 250GB is starting to get tight. My usage used to be around 150-175GB until I got a Roku 3 late last year so now I'm using about 240GB on average. I may have to look into the next tier if my streaming habits increase!

6136922200.png

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TWC/Spectrum Ultimate 200 level 230up/23down on speedtest averages. (max here should be a little over 300 down)

Saw no real benefit to 100 to 200 for an extra $10 per month so just dropped that boost. Today running 120/12

Hard to say what Ultimate 100 cost is since it's bundled into a Triple Play, but $40/month might be about right.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm using CableONE which is a main supplier in the PNW. My plan is their 100 mbs service for $55/month, which is their lowest level of service. I just ran an OOKLA and right now I'm getting 95 mbs down and 3 mbs up.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We're currently on 30/10 from Charter/Spectrum which seems adequate for HD streaming unless all three ROKU boxes and various smartphones and iPads in the house are all hitting it simultaneously.

We're considering the new AT&T fiber optics 100/100 which is being rolled out in our neighborhood for an $80/month intro fee.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paying for 18/? from uVerse. Just ran a test and got 20.32/1.43. I've noticed tests run around 17-20.

We have just started streaming movies, etc on our LG 4K via Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime apps in the TV. We've yet to have a pause or other kind of burp in our viewing. It would appear that 18 is enough for wasting your life away in front of the boob tube. :)

The 18 is the max that uVerse offers in our area. I wouldn't mind a little faster. These 90's and above speeds some of you are getting must mean your internet growing just pops.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the speeds you guys are reporting are wonderful compared to the crappy service I get from CenturyLink. Still kind of on the ropes about switching to Comcast/Xfinity, I really despise that company, but they provide almost 100MB service.

I'm very patient, but sometimes the slow speed I have really pushes my buttons :(

Seriously, 2017 and the best speed they offer is 3MB? That sucks. It's not like I live in some tiny rural town, I'm in the second biggest city in Washington state.

Great phone service, fantastic HD from DISH, yet the internet seems to be stuck in the '90s.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wow, the speeds you guys are reporting are wonderful compared to the crappy service I get from CenturyLink. Still kind of on the ropes about switching to Comcast/Xfinity, I really despise that company, but they provide almost 100MB service.

I'm very patient, but sometimes the slow speed I have really pushes my buttons :(

Seriously, 2017 and the best speed they offer is 3MB? That sucks. It's not like I live in some tiny rural town, I'm in the second biggest city in Washington state.

Great phone service, fantastic HD from DISH, yet the internet seems to be stuck in the '90s.
Geez, Stan, 3 MB? I'd switch in a flash if I had that speed and had an option.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Well, after having Mediacom since the summer, I'm about to switch. I go through periods where my speed slows down well below advertized, and of course they show nothing wrong. And then bam, it'll be where it needs to be again.

AT&T gigabit has been in here for months now and I see a lot of folks getting installs on my street lately, so I signed up. 1000 down and up, $80/month. Fiber install set for Thursday.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Geez, Stan, 3 MB? I'd switch in a flash if I had that speed and had an option.
I guess it is time to start looking for another provider, I'm getting really slow service and paying $75 a month for internet and phone, somebody else must offer better service.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have appreciable differences between my home and work experiences.

18/1.2 at home (Time-Warner basic service. Maybe I need to upgrade that.)

95/98 at work (Big organization. Not sure who provides what.)

But that's a big difference for me and it shows itself plainly.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
15/8 Verizon Fios. Works great for Netflix. However, I did change my wifi router and tweaked the settings to make my wifi network more efficient. Using 5G made the biggest difference. I was getting a lot of interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks