What's new

What's wrong with my TV? (1 Viewer)

I've had my TV for several years now, I'm not sure if this is a recent problem or not, but I just recently started noticing it.

When my TV has been on for a while, it starts emitting a very high pitching ringing sound that seems to be connected to what is being displayed (ie, when the screen changes very quickly from black to white, the tone makes a noticeable change too)

Anyone know what causes this?

Thanks!
David

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
It's probably the power supply in the set. Bright scenes require more power to the tube than darker scenes.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem years ago, but just bought a new tv, since that was one of many problems, so I have no idea how much that would cost to fix. You say you've had it for a few years, so I'm guessing the store warranty is out of the question now. Good Luck though...

Greg.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Normal interlaced NTSC video involves a frequency of approx. 15.75 KHz which is in the audible range. If the flyback transformer or something it is attached to is loose, mechanical vibration would occur and that frequency will be heard by persons whose hearing is good enough.
I don't think the "leaking" issue would apply. If the CRT leaked, very soon thereafter the picture would go black, since once a sufficient amount of air leaked inside, the electron beam wouldn't be able to shoot through to the screen.
When I was younger, under 25, I almost always heard that high pitched squeal when a TV was on nearby. Recently I found I can only hear up to around 13.5 KHz. So much for those nice A/V receivers that go up to 20 KHz.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

so what else is in the 15.75 khz range?

btw, that was pretty damn interesting to hear and I know my fiance will get a kick out of it since she's getting a degree in audiology

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately, i don't have an answer for you, but i definitely sympathize.
i think i'm one of those people allan's talking about. it got to the point where i stopped asking people if they could hear that high-pitched sound, because they never could.
for a while i thought i was imagining the whole thing. :D

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
YEARS ago, (27 to be exact) before my wife and I were married, she worked in a small dept. store. One night, I went in to see her, and as soon as I walked through the front door I could hear many high-pitched sounds. NO one else could! I told 'em that they needed to only have one or two televisions on at the most! These tv's were located in the very back of the store. I couldn't hear the volume, just the high-pitched ringing:) Now, my family's very musically-oriented(teaching,directing,playing,etc.), and unfortunately through years of this, my 44-year-old ears can no longer discern the very high frequencies.:frowning: Oh, well, now I have HT to entertain me w/'in your face' sound!!:D

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
WilliamG, I had a similar experience when I was a kid. My Mom was a secretary at our church and one summer day I was going to see her there. As soon as I walked into the church building, I heard that "TV sound" that you're talking about. I wandered around looking for the sound and finally found that someone had left a TV on in one of the classrooms on the other side of the building. I don't notice the sound as much anymore. I don't know if it's because I've just become used to it or my ears are no longer able to hear it. I think I read somewhere that most peoples' hearing peaks around age 12, so that probably does apply here.

JKS

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's exactly what Allan said. And sort of connected to your image indeed, you may notice it when a "new" image appears, especially if it causes a resync of the video signal. It's not present in what are called "100Hz TV-sets" (double image rate, probably non-interlaced, i.e. progressive, but I'm not sure of that one) over here in Europe. So it went away from most TV's more than 10 years ago.

Children and dogs do hear it best. I used to hear it, but some years ago that frequency has gone from my ears. I think my maximum is at about 13kHz now. Sad but somehow inevitable.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks