What's the state of fusion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Sep 6, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Let me start off by saying that I am very new to jazz fusion. In the last two weeks I have bought the original CD, remastered CD, and SACD of Miles Davis In A Silent Way, and I absolutely love the groove of the album. Today, I listened to my original and remastered CDs of Bitches Brew twice each, which of course, is another classic Miles album. I love the sound of both albums. Is anyone turning out quality jazz fusion today? If so, which artists? Which albums? In addition to any newer material, what are some other classic fusion albums I should check out, given my liking for the two aforementioned Miles albums? Thanks in advance.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Don't know if there is really a definition of fusion - I think it meant jazz absorbing or influencing rock. Lots of Fender Rhodes electric piano and stuff?

I kind of like a few Deodato CD's, and have one Gary Burton Cd that falls into that area.

Today, I'm not sure if there is any fusion unless you count sampling. I liked something by US3 a decade or so ago, which was rap and funk. But I found the lyrics far short of the sublime beats they affected.

Fusion. Fission.

Guess I could go fishin?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, the 80's was the high point of the jazz-rock fusion era. Try albums by Brand X and absolutely get Bill Bruford's FEELS GOOD TO ME & ONE OF A KIND. [​IMG] Best wishes!

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael and John,
    Thanks for the comments.
    Rachael,
    I've never gotten into Bill Bruford. Perhaps I should. [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick remark or two if I may. Steve Smith, former druumer of Journey, has a few projects on cd that are pretty true to the roots of fusion. He has his own band, Vital Information, that's pretty good. The newest cd, "Show 'Em Where You Live" is great. There's some great playing on it. A bit on the "soulful" side, but it's great fusion. Also, the Vital Tech Tones cd's are outstanding. It's Steve on drums, Scott Henderson on guitar, and Victor Wooten on bass. VT2, the 2nd album, is the best modern fusion album I've heard in years. Scott Henderson does a mean Jeff Beck impression sound wise. I heard Steve Smith describe the disc as, "There's some sick shit on there."

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, I just meant in # of musicans performing jazz-rock fusion. Maybe I'm wrong on that too?

Keith, absolutely, positively gey Return To Forever's WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE for Stanley Clarke's composition VULCAN WORLDS. Clarke's own album SCHOOL DAYS is awfully good. If you don't have Zappa's HOT RATS, get it for the original version of PEACHES EN REGALIA and more extra-spicy stuff. Any of the late day King Crimson stuff should qualify as jazz-rock fusion, as would the earlier RED. The original Dixie Dregs were country-rock-jazz fusion. Do not buy the comeback albums of the past five or so years! They're ho-hum. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREGS would be a good start. Sea Level is intresting stuff with about half and half vocal & intrumental pieces. That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Mike's suggestions are great. I'm partial to Miles Davis' ON THE CORNER, BTW. I have pre Mahavishnu Orchestra albums like EXTRAPOLATION. If it's on CD I recommend it, maybe not...? Oh, I thought of one more good'un Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia's HOOTEROLL? . I think Mikes suggestions lean more to jazz musicans drifting into rocky waters and many of mine the opposite. Best wishes!

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, I saw the Dixie Dregs in the early days, maybe about 1979...? It's stille one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I saw the half original foursome about 5 years ago and it was so lame that we left early. Maybe we caught them on a bad day, but it was nothing like their golden age. As far as King Crimson goes I've always been at a loss to categorize them and then they'd evolve even more. I really admire all musicans that are playing stuff outside the "box". Therefore, I like fusionistic music coming from any direction.
    The encore to the Dregs old days concert was a discoesque sorta jam with the bass and guitar and fiddler up at the microphone chanting, "dregs, dregs, disco dregs...." It was a good time at the Music Hall of the U. of Tennessee. Best wishes! [​IMG]

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    There is an underground movement here called Garage Jazz. It is basically 3 or 4 piece(guitar,bass,drums,keys).
    The label is lame, but there are some very good bands here pulling off some great instrumental stuff. I don't see it taking off in a big way, some are getting on small labels. The bands I have seen and filled in for basically fuse the normal- rock and jazz, with newer elements of hip-hop/spoken word, Eastern music, very different. They have been the funnest jam sessions of late.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I like the Chick Corea Electric Band 80s albums for the most part. The first one, self titled, is by far the best, but the others are pretty good, too.
    I also like just about anything from John Scofield, good fusion there.
    Also, Marcus Miller has a few 90s fusion CDs on my shelf. I especially recommend "Live + More" as a great example of modern fusion.
    I also really love 80s Studio band Flim & The BBs. Their stuff is often "soft" but I would not categorize it as "smooth jazz" at all.
    Lastly, if you count high quality Jazz played on electric instruments as fusion, I can not recommend the work of former Police guitarrist Andy Summers highly enough. All of his albums are absolutely top notch, full of brilliant melodies, great musicianship, and perfect production. Most of the recent ones are HDCD also.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks for the information, everyone. I will be printing this thread for future reference. Much appreciated.

14. Mike C F

Mike C F Auditioning

Okay....I'm going to get hammered for these suggestions as they aren't really "fusion", (although you'll have a darn tough time defining that sucker), and these suggestions will drift close to that "jam band/wanker" territory. These are more of a funk/rock/jazz hybrid that I really enjoy. If you love "the groove" then this is good stuff:

Galactic
    Stanton Moore
    Greyboy Allstars
    Liquid Soul
    Modeski, Martin and Wood
    John Scofield (someone beat to this one, but Go Go is a must)
    Charlie Hunter
    Soulive
    ulu

Let me know whatcha think.

Chuck

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Mike, I'd buy that explanation for a dollar! Keith, you might want to try the James Taylor Quartet. It's a different James Taylor... Phil, I think all that old Marcus Miller stuff is out of print. His album from last year was pretty good and is stille in print. I've liked him ever since he played with the original David Sanborn Band back in the late 70's. Keith you might also like Paul Jackson Jr.'s THE POWER OF THE STRING. His old albums are good too but they're all out of print. You could look for I CAME TO PLAY on half.com or someplace like that. One more suggestion, guitarist John Tropea's NY CATS. It's on DMP CD and I got it on sale for $4.75. His old albums are good too but they're all out of print. I have several on vinyl. Best wishes guyz!

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, if you're interested in 80s fusion with a pop sensibility, ignore all the "experts" and check out Miles Davis' stuff from that era: Decoy, We Want Miles, Tutu.

17. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of the Chick Corea Elektric Band, I just read that they are out on a reunion tour. And they have recorded a few shows for possible release on SACD. I will ask Dave Weckl about it (the drummer in that band) as I'll be spending some time with him tonight.

They are also thinking about recording a new album as well. I'll get the skinny and report back.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All,
    Thanks again for offering more suggestions.
    Mike,
    I plan on having everything Miles recorded on CD, so I will get his titles from the '80s. At this point, I only have 17 Miles albums on CD, so it will be awhile before I have everything. [​IMG]

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Chris, tell Weckl that I think he's the Man. [​IMG]
    Keith,
    It's OK- I've been listening to and collecting Miles for a few years and I'm still buying stuff. 40 years worth of music is a lot to collect.
    NP: Marillion, Anorak in the UK