What's new

What's the point of a built-in HD tuner...? (1 Viewer)

David-C

Auditioning
This is my first post (I have been lurking for a while as I contemplate a 56" or 61" Samsung DLP purchase).

I have been enjoying HDTV for about a year on my 32" Sony Wega via Comcast. I only pay $5/mo. extra for the HD box. It's great, I just wish there was more HD programming. INHD and INHD2 are my favorite channels.

So here is my question... since almost everybody is required to have a set top box these days (cable or satellite), what is the point of spending extra $$$ to get a TV with a built-in HD tuner? If you want HDTV, you are going to have to use your providers set top box anyway (with integrated HD tuner).

Am I missing something here? Please enlighten me. Why should I pay to get at TV with an HD tuner built-in?

TIA!

Mike-C

Grip
Your assuming that everyone with an HDTV is receiving their HD signal exclusively from cable or DBS.

An integrated HDTV tuner is useful if you plan on receiving your HD signal over the air from an antenna. Many people use an antenna to complement the the limited HD offerings of their cable and satellite service.

Granted if you don't have cable or satellite you'll be limited to only the major networks, PBS, and some independent stations in your area, and thats assuming that all these local stations are even broadcasting in HD.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
and because it is being required by law for the switch to digital broadcasting. The FCC considers that a television should have full OTA capability in the analog days. Thus the forced move to VHF. Now, with a move to digital, every "TV" needs to have the capability to receive OTA television signals, as a public service sort of.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
A lot of upcoming sets are going to have the "cable-card" technology which will allow them to tune HD, even scrambled HD, from cable systems without the cable company's box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks