What's new

What's the Most Expensive Box Sets you've ever had? (1 Viewer)

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
ST:TNG was mine. I purchased it when all the seasons were out and they sold them in that super set w/the cardboard display. I can't even recall how much I paid, I just know it was alot.

I cringe when I think how much i've paid for tv-dvd and regular dvd purchases that are now half price or more. It irks me to no end, but at the time I had, still do, that if I don't purchase it now it might not be around later on. I know better now, but still do it regardless, unless it's not a high priority then I wait for the DD-sale.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
GET SMART from Time-Life when it was first released. This is the only set I've ever bought at what would be considered a full price. And it's also the set I most regret purchasing. I like the show fine, but looking back that was a dumb purchase for me because it was way overpriced.

TWILIGHT ZONE from Overstock.com a couple of years ago when it was discounted about 50%.

LAND OF THE GIANTS when it was a Gold Box deal at Amazon.com

MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. same as above.

STAR TREK: TOS on a good sale at B&N, using a 20% Off coupon on top of the 40% discounted price. So that one was a great deal.

Gary "those are the 5 most expensive sets I've ever bought" O.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Semi-related, but the most expensive set I "almost" bought was The Carol Burnett Show.

It was one of those infommercial subscription type things, didn't really pay much attention to it and bought the first one. But if I remember correctly, after that, the price per episode would have ended up in the $10+ range.

Luckily I cancelled immediately once I found out the real terms.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Same as Gary, I like the show but should have waited for the inevitable price drop.

It's a close call, but my 1st regret in TV/DVD buys was Lost In Space S1 at its release. I watched the whole set but for me it didn't hold up well from watching it as a kid when it originally aired. I traded it at a local DVD store.

After buying the T/L Get Smart set at its release, I rarely pre-order or buy on release any TV/DVD's. The only exception since then was that Room 222 S1 set when Amazon had it listed for $10.99 for a couple of days.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm the same as Jeff. I almost never pre-order anything at this point. But if I find a good pre-order price on a holy grail show, like "Father Knows Best Season 3", then I'll order it before it's released. But it has to be a great deal and it has to be a show that is very, very, very important to me for me to do that now. I used to pre-order everything under the sun, but no more. I'm now content to wait things out, knowing that a little patience will score me any release at a minimum of 50% off. And that's my price point for almost every single release I want these days.

Gary "I know pre-orders are important for the studios in terms of figures, but money is too tight in my home to keep it up" O.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
(I'm just listing Complete series sets)

Andy Griffith. About $170
Twilight Zone. About $170
Monty Python. $125
Dick Van Dyke. $89
Brady Bunch shag Box. $85

Have yet to receive Dick Van Dyke but each of the others was worth the price paid by many many times. I'm 99.99% Dick Van Dyke will join the club. EDIT: Holy moly! That Dick Van Dyke set is a stunning piece of work! What a deal that was. Woo hoo!!

Hell, make that 100%. ;P)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh god--I just had to have American Dreams season one the day it came out. It cost about $79.99 IIRC. I never even watched it. Nowadays it typically retails for about $16.99 and you can find it anywhere.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Mine are

Gilligans Island boxset
Brady Shag
Seinfeld Box
StarTrek TNG box
Will n Grace Box

Yes indeed They were all quite expensive. I like the packaging for Alias, Everybody Loves Raymond or FullHouse. May add those.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Upstairs Downstairs.

At times the audio is awful, and the picture quality is sorely lacking, but it's on videotape from 35 years ago. It was $249 and worth every penny.

SMK

Mr.Grant

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Steven,
If you have a region-free player then you can get Upstairs,Downstairs from the UK(Region 2)at a much better price.The sets released by Network DVD have perfectly fine picture and sound quality and lots of great extras including documentaries,commentaries and archive interviews.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Anything from Time Life.

Man From Uncle
Get Smart
Real Ghostbusters

Great quality but you are going to pay for it.

Real Name
Joe
Mine would be Everybody Loves Raymond, the complete series which I paid about $115 for in one of Amazon's Christmas Sales.

I did catch Man From Uncle for about $85 at one of Amazon's Gold Box specials. But, I have bought all six seasons of Hawaii Five-O so far and each of those cost me at least $30 - $35. So it's all how you look at it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Sets I mentioned were ones where I bought the Complete Series at once, either because they were offered that way (Sky King, Land of the Giants) or because I ordered all the individual sets at once.(MacGyver, The Twilight Zone) As for those that I have accumulated one-at-a-time, the three most expensive are:

JAG

Walker, Texas Ranger

Mission: Impossible

As of today none of these series are complete, yet.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks