What's new

What's the Most Expensive Box Sets you've ever had? (2 Viewers)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I Just couldn't resist on this one! Even when money is tight we all $plurge from time to time on something.:D

I'd like to know what are the most expensive Box Sets you've ever purchased or received as a gift.

I'll start this one with my Top Ten Most Expensive.

1. Sky King

2. Thunderbirds Mega-Set

3. Land of the Giants

4. The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

5. Get Smart (Origional)

6. Combat! (Will not receive until August)

7. MacGyver

8. The Twilight Zone(Origional)

9. Battlestar Galactica(1978)-Cylon Head

10. Star Trek - The Animated Series

Post Away, my Friends!

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Mine are Get Smart, The West Wing complete series and the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series. Even with 15 - 20% off coupons, those were pretty sizable purchases! :P

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I believe Andromeda (the Slipstream Collection) and Agatha Christie's Poirot are the two most expensive boxed sets I've ever purchased. The former was about $125.00, and the latter was $175.00.

That being said, the individual DS9 and VOY United Kingdom issues cost me around $2,200 for the fourteen seasons.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
By "box sets" I'm assuming you mean *all* seasons of a series purchased in a special box and *not* just all individual seasons of a series comprising a full set. I have several complete series that, cumulatively, cost more than the most expensive "box set" I own, some of which have never been offered as a "box set".

I'm surprised you included "Star Trek - The Animated Series" as it's not so much a "box set" as a single season comprising the entire series, aka "one season wonder".

Anyway, here's my list:

1. Get Smart (stupidly purchased from TL due to impatience on a mass release - still would have been at the top of the list but a bit less expensive)
2. The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
3. Space 1999 - Megaset
4. Keeping up Appearances - The Full Bouquet
5. The Avengers - Complete Emma Peel Megaset
6. Secret Agent AKA Danger Man - Complete Collection
7. The Prisoner - Megaset
8. The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus
9. Father Ted - The Holy Trilogy
10. Fawlty Towers - The Complete Series
11. Chef! - The Complete Collection
12. The Vicar of Dibley - The Divine Collection
13. Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean
14. Danger Mouse - Complete Series

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Most expensive "complete series" set I've ever purchased was easily GET SMART (original series) at $249 Canadian but I have no regrets as this is easily my all time favorite series.
After that I would say "ARE YOU BEING SERVED" at close to $100. Nowadays however I try to watch for sales on complete series sets.
Cheapest complete series set I ever got was the "ANGEL" box set ...it was priced at $39.95 at Superstore, which I thought was a great price but when the cashier rang it thru it scanned at $9.99 ! Amazing deal for all 5 seasons!

LCD22

Screenwriter
The most expensive was Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Granada Television Series.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I only have 3 large sets... In order of most expensive to cheapest...

- Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection ($195)
- I Love Lucy: The Complete Series ($120)
- The Brady Bunch: Complete Series ($90)

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Any of the I Love Lucy season sets. When they first came out, they were priced between $27 and 40 dollars.

For the rest of shows I have, I either paid full price when they came out or I waited for the price to drop down.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

The Cheapest "Complete Series"(Four or more Seasons Long) for me is a Tie. All Four Seasons of Lois and Clark, the New Adventures of Superman, which I got from Best Buy during a Pre-Thanksgiving Sale for $14.99 a Season in 2007, I paid the same price for each of Futurama which I got from Circuit City (R.I.P.):frowning: during last November's "Black Friday" Sale! The Most Expensive Box Set I got for :DFREE:D is either Space 1999 or The World at War. (I Got em both during one of DeeDee's BOGO Sales last year!):laugh:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
1. Thunderbirds

2. The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

3. Captain Scarlet

4. Get Smart

After that, there have been several in the $50 range such as The Twilight Zone Definitive Edition individual season sets, Joe 90 and Fireball XL5.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't own any (major) complete series sets, so it would have to be the first season of The Monkees, which fortunately I got as a gift a few years ago.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My most expensive was Star Trek: The Next Generation. Really wanted them, so shelled out $100 each when released, $700 total for the complete set.

Started to do the same with Six Feet Under (forget what they were, but I think in the $50-75 range). Bought the first two, then decided no more, I refuse to pay those kind of prices any longer.

Finally got the last three seasons of Six Feet Under for $18.99 recently. Just bought Star Trek Enterprise last week for $37.99 each.

Unless something is released at a somewhat reasonable price, I'll wait it out until they drop. Also now following the advice of a fellow forum member and no longer buying box sets. Unless there are some great extras included, it's much safer and convenient to buy individual seasons.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I own these

Friends The one with the 10seasons in one boxset
Incredible Hulk boxset
Wrestlemania Anthology
The King of Queens
Will and Grace
Seinfeld

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The most expensive single release I ever got was the first release of "The Fall Guy"-- $60 from Borders.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The most expensive single purchase was Alias Complete Series, which was $136. I bought the DS9 boxes the day they came out, so that was about $700. I bought all of TNG, but it was after they had been out for a while so I got off light on a couple of them. Still, an expensive venture.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Man from U.N.C.L.E. and LAND OF THE GIANTS!

The only two I ever bought, because there was no other way. The rest were all purchased season-by-season, as I prefer them.

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
La Femme Nikita

Profiler

We bought these back when they were first released and priced at about $75.00 per season set. :eek:

Mary_P

Second Unit
Most expensive complete-series-in-a-single-box: "Get Smart," bought from Time-Life when it first came out.

Most expensive complete series bought in individual season sets: "Homicide: Life on the Street." The six box sets ran somewhere around $60 each, plus another $15 or so for the reunion movie.

Most expensive single seasons: "The X-Files," "Star Trek: The Next Generation," both of which were at the time over $100 per season set. The price put me off completing either series at the time; I have since completed "The X-Files," once they came down to less than a quarter of the original cost per season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks