What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Since it's in pre-order status, it might not yet have been made available to Amazon. Also, there's a thread in the Blu-Ray section speculating on whether amazon and Kino are having another "disagreement," as Amazon has been derelict in shipping out Kino blus in a timely manner recently.
No loss. I try not to order physical media from Amazon anyway as their prices are usually higher than their competition. This was not the first dispute of this nature. If I recall they stopped listing Warner stuff a few years back. Monopoly = not a good thing!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
At Walmart earlier: Shout!'s all-in-one of McHale's Navy (apparently there in memory of the late, great Gavin McLeod)

Thanks for mentioning this. I grabbed a copy the other week. Bizarrely, the first S1 disc was missing from the set. I took it back to my local Wally to get it exchanged for another set. At the Customer Service desk, I opened up the replacement set to make sure there weren't any other obvious issues. There was one: the case for the bonus disc of the two theatrical films was severely broken, so I just swapped in the copy from the set I was returning.

Other TV releases I've gotten in the last couple of weeks (all Blu-ray):

Star Trek: Discovery Season 3
American Gods Season 3
His Dark Materials Season 2
Gangs of London Season 1

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Amazon has a Doctor Who sale going, so I grabbed Tom Baker 4, Sylvester McCoy 3, and Colin Baker 2 on Blu, along with the last Christmas special.

I'm not a fan of O.G. Doctor Who, but my wife is. I need to get the latest Pertwee set for her (he's her favorite Classic Doctor). Anyway, even she wasn't interested in my getting for her the Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy releases.

(I managed to pick up the Tom Baker S3 set at Barnes & Noble for a seriously discounted price. When I eventually opened it up, the case was (just as seriously) broken. Still haven't gotten around to checking the discs to see if they have issues.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Gideon%20multi%20packshot%20640.jpg

Pre-ordered this excellent ITC police procedural series (sort of a Brit version of Naked City) from Network in the U.K....an early birthday present from myself to...myself! (This is set to release on October 11th, one day before my 54th birthday)

Will also soon be pre-ordering Kino's Kolchak: The Night Stalker, due Oct. 12th, for a birthday prezzie double-whammy.
I wasn't aware of this! And on Blu-ray!

I loved the original John Creasey (as "J.J. Marric") police procedural novels.

And by the way, Happy Birthday in advance. My birthday is just 12 days after yours (albeit it'll be my 68th).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

And by the way, Happy Birthday in advance. My birthday is just 12 days after yours (albeit it'll be my 68th).
Thanks, Jerry...and right back at ya! BTW, please tell your wife that she has good taste re: Doctor Who. ;)

Not sure if you've seen this series before, but many of the scripts are adapted from the earlier Creasey/Marric novels.

Now Network needs to get busy and release The Champions on Blu, too!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Thanks, Jerry...and right back at ya! BTW, please tell your wife that she has good taste re: Doctor Who. ;)

Not sure if you've seen this series before, but many of the scripts are adapted from the earlier Creasey/Marric novels.

Now Network needs to get busy and release The Champions on Blu, too!
Jeff is just a youngster.
icon_e_secret.gif

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Gideon%20multi%20packshot%20640.jpg

Pre-ordered this excellent ITC police procedural series (sort of a Brit version of Naked City) from Network in the U.K....an early birthday present from myself to...myself! (This is set to release on October 11th, one day before my 54th birthday)

Will also soon be pre-ordering Kino's Kolchak: The Night Stalker, due Oct. 12th, for a birthday prezzie double-whammy.

i’m almost finished with this series as i’ve been watching one a night for the last couple of weeks so this is great news . this is one of the few hour long shows i have with many episodes that i wished had gone on longer . some of the episodes wrap up so quickly that you wish they had extended the 4th act or made an epilog . i hope this also comes out as a standalone barebones set like they did with the Persuaders (mainly bc its a lot cheaper and i can do w/out the extras) . i also prefer the hard case and this might be a digipak case like the persuaders deluxe edition. can’t wait for your review jeff.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
i’m almost finished with this series as i’ve been watching one a night for the last couple of weeks so this is great news . this is one of the few hour long shows i have with many episodes that i wished had gone on longer . some of the episodes wrap up so quickly that you wish they had extended the 4th act or made an epilog . i hope this also comes out as a standalone barebones set like they did with the Persuaders (mainly bc its a lot cheaper and i can do w/out the extras) . i also prefer the hard case and this might be a digipak case like the persuaders deluxe edition. can’t wait for your review jeff.
It's not been confirmed for sure yet, Frankie, but Network's usual pattern is to eventually release a bare-bones "standard edition" a year or so later...so hopefully that will be an option for you down the road. I thought about waiting for that version myself...for about 5 seconds! ;)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
It's not been confirmed for sure yet, Frankie, but Network's usual pattern is to eventually release a bare-bones "standard edition" a year or so later...so hopefully that will be an option for you down the road. I thought about waiting for that version myself...for about 5 seconds! ;)
Quite the endorsement Frankie! Jeff are the two episodes you posted for me to watch among your favorites? If so any others? Thanks!

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
wow, didn’t know they waited that long , looks like i’ll save up for the LE and Kolchak too.

Neal, i actually bought it after watching the rhyme and the reason on YT . Carol White is one of my favorite brit actresses and she’s in that episode. what i really like about the series is the variety of stories . its straightforward / simplicity in storytelling also needs to be taken into context for those who are used to more modern police procedurals . very little twists and turns . it really is a time machine of london in the mid 60’s. very rare for a uk tv show from that time to be shot on 35mm w/lots of location shooting.

The vampire lady on the Kolchak cover looks like Marsha Mason when she was on Dark Shadows

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
wow, didn’t know they waited that long , looks like i’ll save up for the LE and Kolchak too.

Neal, i actually bought it after watching the rhyme and the reason on YT . Carol White is one of my favorite brit actresses and she’s in that episode. what i really like about the series is the variety of stories . its straightforward / simplicity in storytelling also needs to be taken into context for those who are used to more modern police procedurals . very little twists and turns . it really is a time machine of london in the mid 60’s. very rare for a uk tv show from that time to be shot on 35mm w/lots of location shooting.

The vampire lady on the Kolchak cover looks like Marsha Mason when she was on Dark Shadows
Thanks Frankie. This is sounding better and better!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Quite the endorsement Frankie! Jeff are the two episodes you posted for me to watch among your favorites? If so any others? Thanks!
I haven't seen all the episodes from Gideon's Way yet, Neal, but of the dozen or so I have seen, there hasn't been a dud among them. Very solid show. As Frankie notes, quite a bit of variety in the storytelling, most episodes chock full of great location footage of a London still in recovery mode after WWII, lots of great character actors getting meaty roles to play in what are essentially anthology crime stories with the two leads as the reassuring throughline. John Gregson (as Cmdr. Gideon) and Alexander Davion (as DCI David Keen) are very pleasant company, tough, dedicated, but warm and sympathetic when required. All in all, a series that I would recommend highly to those that like police dramas.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I haven't seen all the episodes from Gideon's Way yet, Neal, but of the dozen or so I have seen, there hasn't been a dud among them. Very solid show. As Frankie notes, quite a bit of variety in the storytelling, most episodes chock full of great location footage of a London still in recovery mode after WWII, lots of great character actors getting meaty roles to play in what are essentially anthology crime stories with the two leads as the reassuring throughline. John Gregson (as Cmdr. Gideon) and Alexander Davion (as DCI David Keen) are very pleasant company, tough, dedicated, but warm and sympathetic when required. All in all, a series that I would recommend highly to those that like police dramas.
Thanks much Jeff. I just noticed the DVD set is listed at AmazonSmileUS. But why is it listed as Gideon C.I.D. at IMDb? Also, are you familiar with Ghost Squad: The Complete Series? What's with the high prices on many of these UK releases? Is it the 3rd party sellers, in this case MovieMars? I did however break down and purchase Dial 999 as it came down about 8 bucks within the last few days.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
One more order...

61b5cB38oCL.jpg

Still need to get S7 and S9 (once it comes down a bit in price, just to get one David Canary "Candy" season in the collection). After those two, I think that'll pretty much do me for Bonanza. These sets are great value, though - beautifully remastered video, lots of neat supplements (including original opening NBC Peacock logos, bumpers, sponsor spots, photo galleries, a handful of commentaries per season, etc.)

916Deb6mHgL._SL1500_.jpg

Really been enjoying S14 of this show...solid, unpretentious western tales with some cool guest stars, extensive location work and nice-looking transfers.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
One more order...

61b5cB38oCL.jpg

Still need to get S7 and S9 (once it comes down a bit in price, just to get one David Canary "Candy" season in the collection). After those two, I think that'll pretty much do me for Bonanza.
Jeff, I'm afraid to say that your Bonanza collection will never be complete without this.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
These sets are great value, though - beautifully remastered video, lots of neat supplements (including original opening NBC Peacock logos, bumpers, sponsor spots, photo galleries, a handful of commentaries per season, etc.)

And I think this is why CBS' all-in-one (if there is one; I hope there is) will be just as great the value.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, I'm afraid to say that your Bonanza collection will never be complete without this.

View attachment 106530

Ha! Thanks for the laugh, Neal! That reminds me - I also need to complete my Stooges collection (still need the last couple of volumes...not the biggest Joe Besser fan, so have been dragging my feet).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks