What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Amazon UK really jacked up their shipping rates (due to a rate hike on bulk shipping in Britain effective July 1st), so the only way to score decent deals anymore seems to be to go through Marketplace sellers. Managed to score this set of the surviving Tony Hancock shows for less than $23.

So far this postal rate increase hasn't seemed to effect orders from Network. Fingers crossed it stays that way for a while, anyway...still lots of titles I want to get from them.

130005_grande.jpg

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Rifleman season 2 vol. 1
Wonder Woman complete series Blu ray Pre-Order
Hawaii Five-0 (2010) season one Blu ray

Hallmark Made for TV movies
Enchanted Royal Collection (Royal New Year's Eve, A Royal Winter)
Coming Home For Christmas
My Christmas Dream

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Problem is CBS doesn’t finish these sets. I bought Blue Bloods S1-4 on Amazon for $33 but there’s been no season 5-8 released
True, I've found the complete series is most usually the best value especially with CBS. I've been going to pick this set up as a back up though. I have the first three seasons on Blu ray and the fourth on DVD, the first two were used but I just ordered a new copy of the season 1 Blu ray for $8.00.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Problem is CBS doesn’t finish these sets. I bought Blue Bloods S1-4 on Amazon for $33 but there’s been no season 5-8 released

It seems to be a toss up as to when ViacomCBS do these multiple seasons sets.

(Without getting into politics).

For some CBS shows in the current climate, I might be inclined to just wait for an eventual complete series set for a show like Blue Bloods.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
It ain't just media companies deciding what we can/cannot see; others are seemingly trying to decide what we can/cannot read either (like as happened w/TV Guide, where the way we once knew it [regional editions with the channels of/week's listings for a specific area, and a shell of features around that] gave way to a 1SFA [one size fits all] mag that is more about the celebrities of television than anything else, with the listings being for broadcast and cable networks only).

I remember when it was just local stations before cable. Hell, I remember when they used to note a color program by a "C" because color was then unusual. At first we got a statewide issue with the local stations in white on a black background and the reverse for out-of-town stations. Later, it was just a local issue. TV Guide was just 15 cents from 1953 well into the 1970s.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Cable didn't really start appearing till the 70s, did it?
That's when it was around here - sometime in 1974/75. 12 channels (we did have 4 so it was a huge deal) and, IIRC, one or two were 24 hour stations (another huge deal). It was another couple of years before TV Guide added those channels to the local edition.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I remember when it was just local stations before cable. Hell, I remember when they used to note a color program by a "C" because color was then unusual. At first we got a statewide issue with the local stations in white on a black background and the reverse for out-of-town stations. Later, it was just a local issue. TV Guide was just 15 cents from 1953 well into the 1970s.

And by the 1980s, they did the opposite and indicated a "BW" for monochrome shows. I think they even eventually added a "CZ" designation for anything colorized.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The 4400 - Complete series. A blind buy simply because it's sci-fi and I found it at Big Lots for $10.

Is this the re-released version in a giant multidisc case?

Or is this the original version from back in the day, which had a discs in a multidisc folder? (ie. Similar to the packaging of earlier then-current Paramount tv show season sets like CSI, etc ...).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Blah!!! This is very bad news. (I haven't been to any discount outlets in over 3 months, since the closest ones are in another neighborhood which I would have to drive 25 minutes to).

(Without getting into politics).

With the current climate and too mamy older megapack multiseason sets now flooding dump bins, would ViacomCBS still release stuff like: seasons 5-8 of Blue Bloods, reboot Hawaii Five-0 seasons 5-8, NCIS: New Orleans seasons 1-4, NCIS seasons 13-16, etc .... as these giant 24+ discs sets?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well it can’t cost a whole lot to repackage still I just picked up sone of the sets at Hamilton books pretty cheap

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Community season 4
I'm on season 3 right now.

Funny show, but I don't quite get the young folks' obsessive love of it. It's a standard ensemble sitcom. Maybe this was their first encounter with one, so it all seemed fresh and revolutionary. I dunno.

Anyway,

Laverne and Shirley complete series, because it was going OOS on a lot of sites recently.

How I Met Your Mother complete series (because Best Buy had it for $50, so, what, $5.50 per season?).

Alias Smith and Jones complete series.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
2 weeks ago I ordered the complete 2nd season of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour which is on 8 DVDs in a boxed set.

Many people may be more familiar with Alfred Hitchcock Presents, the older series, which had episodes of only 30 minutes in length, including commercials. That series was telecast on American TV from 1955 through 1962. But
after Alfred Hitchcock Presents ended its original network run, along came The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, in the fall of 1962.
I've always preferred the later series, because the greater length of its hour long episodes certainly allowed for more
fully developed characters, as well as plots which were often more interesting than those in the 30 minute episodes,
which often, were merely designed to include some little surprise twist at the end of most of those shorter stories.

Anyhow, what sort of testifies to how big a fan I am of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, is that since, for some odd reason,
that American made series is only available on British manufactured DVDs, which won't play on the vast majority of the DVD & Blu-ray players which are sold on this side of the pond, I bought an LG Universal Blu-ray/DVD player that will play the DVDs put out by any country, as well as any Blu-rays that are usually incompatible with players over here due to being intended for other regions. I tested the little LG unit with a European documentary on DVD, I've never been able
to play, as well as with a couple movies on Blu-ray, intended for use in Europe, and I was happy as hell that those discs all played perfectly.

Just can't wait till Season 2 of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour arrives, as I started with that season first, because it contains a
particular episode that made quite an impression on me when I saw it in early 1964, but have never seen it since. (I ordered that box set of DVDs on July 1st, but as it's sent from Europe, it's not estimated to arrive until July 21st or so)

BTW, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour originally ran for 3 seasons, from September 20 1962 thru May 10 1965, and consisted of a total of 93 episodes, which for my money, had those 3 seasons of shows being about the best anthology TV series that appeared on American network television in the 1960s. And I'd even include Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, in that quite personal evaluation. (But what could I know, since I took a little too much acid, during the early 70s, anyway)

But have to say, though, that it really strikes me as being pretty cool that the chance to see again (without commercials), those old Alfred Hitchcock programs, in atmospheric black & white, has turned out to be a double benefit, since the urge to see that series again, forced me to order that universal BD/DVD player, meaning I'll be able to order all sorts of movies and documentaries, on BD & DVD, which will now be possible to watch, though they were intended for foreign markets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks