What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (5 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I have the complete Fabulous Films Alfred Hitchcock Hour R2 box set with all 3 seasons together as shown above. Anybody who loves Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour should get this set, and say to hell with Universal Home Video for not releasing it on DVD in our region!

Oh, and I also got their season 7 (1961-62) release of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, to complete the whole run in my collection.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I'm on season 3 right now.

Funny show, but I don't quite get the young folks' obsessive love of it. It's a standard ensemble sitcom. Maybe this was their first encounter with one, so it all seemed fresh and revolutionary. I dunno.

Anyway,

Laverne and Shirley complete series, because it was going OOS on a lot of sites recently.

How I Met Your Mother complete series (because Best Buy had it for $50, so, what, $5.50 per season?).

Alias Smith and Jones complete series.
Good shows, I'm still on season one of Community. Pretty funny show and I like that Chevy Chase is in it. The opening scene usually has pretty clever fast paced dialog that I like.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have the complete Fabulous Films Alfred Hitchcock Hour R2 box set with all 3 seasons together as shown above. Anybody who loves Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour should get this set, and say to hell with Universal Home Video for not releasing it on DVD in our region!

Oh, and I also got their season 7 (1961-62) release of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, to complete the whole run in my collection.
I have both of those in my basket at Amazon UK. The only problem now is finding FF's AHP S6 release, which seems to be OOP.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Good shows, I'm still on season one of Community. Pretty funny show and I like that Chevy Chase is in it. The opening scene usually has pretty clever fast paced dialog that I like.

I've caught bits and pieces of a few episodes. It's not bad, but not quite for me. I confess that I've nabbed a copy of dubious provenance of one episode for some humor revolving around Stargate and Farscape. My wife and I are fans of both of those shows.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I've caught bits and pieces of a few episodes. It's not bad, but not quite for me. I confess that I've nabbed a copy of dubious provenance of one episode for some humor revolving around Stargate and Farscape. My wife and I are fans of both of those shows.
That was me for a long time and then I found used copies of the first three seasons dirt cheap so I picked them up. They sat on the shelf for a long time until it finally came up in my daily rotation. I watched introduction to film from season one and it was pretty good. The 5.1 audio on the DVDs is nice too. I wouldn't put it in my top 10 comedies of all time but I like it a lot more then when I casually watched it a little on Hulu.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
^^ I'd consider giving it a shot, but quite frankly, I have more than enough things to watch that I'm not feeling inclined to add 50 hours worth of show to my stack.

Anyway, today I received the British DVD set of the one-and-only season of the Canadian/South African science fiction show Charlie Jade. I got the Japanese DVD set that was released not long after the show aired in 2005, but it wasn't anamorphic. Or so I thought. I recall playing it via a region-free player back in the day and it displayed as if non-anamorphic (windowboxed). So, I recently ordered a UK set, which appeared to be anamorphic. And I did a comparison. My region-free BD player displays the Japanese set anamorphically, which was a surprise to me.

But it was worth getting the UK set, because (a) it looks a bit better encoded than the Japanese one did, and (b) it includes the clip show "special" that wasn't on the Japanese set.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
^^ I guess you didn't realize that there's a Complete Series set for the Hour:

(Yes, I realize that some people prefer season-by-season, or it might be cheaper to get the individual seasons. I'm just sayin'...) ;)

I much appreciate your response. I was aware of the complete set of episodes of all 3 seasons of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour being available, but at some 30 dollars, and change, for each of those 3 seasons, I decided to order the A.H. shows gradually, one season at a time.

Also, as I placed my order for Season 2, which is the only set of episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour I've ordered, so far, the LG universal BD/DVD player that will make it possible for me to play those Hitchcock presentations, had NOT yet arrived here. And with some folks having reported that this particular LG model had failed to allow them to successfully play European produced DVDs, like those of The Alfred Hour, it didn't look to me to be a wise choice to order, and pay for, ALL 3 seasons of the series, before knowing if the LG player, which was then on its way here, would actually even be capable of playing the DVDs of the series.

But now that I've seen what a great job that the little LG unit does in playing a German made DVD documentary that none of our many Blu-ray and DVD players have ever been able to play, I'm more excited than ever, about seeing that set of episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour get here, and then, will soon order the other 2 seasons of the series, after being able to check out that first set of seasons, that was ordered.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
2 weeks ago I ordered the complete 2nd season of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour which is on 8 DVDs in a boxed set.

Anyhow, what sort of testifies to how big a fan I am of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, is that since, for some odd reason,
that American made series is only available on British manufactured DVDs, which won't play on the vast majority of the DVD & Blu-ray players which are sold on this side of the pond, I bought an LG Universal Blu-ray/DVD player that will play the DVDs put out by any country, as well as any Blu-rays that are usually incompatible with players over here due to being intended for other regions. I tested the little LG unit with a European documentary on DVD, I've never been able
to play, as well as with a couple movies on Blu-ray, intended for use in Europe, and I was happy as hell that those discs all played perfectly.

Just can't wait till Season 2 of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour arrives, as I started with that season first, because it contains a
particular episode that made quite an impression on me when I saw it in early 1964, but have never seen it since. (I ordered that box set of DVDs on July 1st, but as it's sent from Europe, it's not estimated to arrive until July 21st or so)

BTW, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour originally ran for 3 seasons, from September 20 1962 thru May 10 1965, and consisted of a total of 93 episodes, which for my money, had those 3 seasons of shows being about the best anthology TV series that appeared on American network television in the 1960s. And I'd even include Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone, in that quite personal evaluation. (But what could I know, since I took a little too much acid, during the early 70s, anyway)

They are also available in Region 4 from Madman (Australia/New Zealand). I have Madman's AHH Season 1 while I have Fabulous' AHP Season 7 and AHH Seasons 2 and 3. I also have Fabulous' AHP Season 6 to avoid Universal's MOD discs, no big deal since the other seasons mentioned above were only available from R2/4 anyway.

For those interested in seeing all of Alfred Hitchcock's TV work (especially the hour episodes), mention must be made of the 12 rare/"lost" episodes produced (and in two episodes, directed) by Hitchcock from other series.

Ten episodes of the Suspicion series (1957-58, NBC) were produced by Hitchcock with the premiere episode, "Four O' Clock," also directed by Hitchcock (starring E.G. Marshall). This episode was remade for the 1985 Hitchcock revival series. Some sources incorrectly state (or imply) that the entire series was produced by Hitchcock. Only half of the filmed episodes (total 20) were, with the other half of the series (20/21 episodes) being live broadcasts and presumably lost. All the filmed episodes are available on DVD on PD releases in varying degrees of non-restored quality.

"Incident at a Corner," the only color TV episode directed by Hitchcock, from the Ford Startime (aka Lincoln-Mercury Startime) series (1959-60, NBC) (starring George Peppard and Vera Miles ("Psycho")) is available on the "Alfred Hitchcock Directs" DVD set (from Madman R4) which also includes the 18 AHP/AHH episodes he directed. Curiously, "Four O' Clock " is NOT included on this set, so it's not as complete as the jacket blurbs imply.

Finally, an episode of Alcoa Premiere (1961-63, ABC, shown in reruns as Fred Astaire's Premiere Theatre) titled "The Jail," a sci-fi tale written by Ray Bradbury, was "An Alfred Hitchcock Production" starring John Gavin ("Psycho") and Barry Morse (The Fugitive, Space: 1999). Also available on DVD (although seemingly not officially). The quality of this episode is the worst with a buzzing noise heard almost throughout. Still, these 12 episodes are a must-see for Hitchcock and rare-TV fans and completists. All were produced/filmed by Revue and most of the usual staff from Hitchcock's TV series.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hawaii Five-O - Season 5-8 mega Pak from Amazon.
I think those seasons will do me, not a huge fan of the later seasons.

Nor am I-- of course, I did get that twelfth and final one (1979-80), because I wanted to see why that last one was as vilified and unpopular as it was (and of course, for the series finale, "Woe to Wo Fat").

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
While at Walmart today, I saw "F-Troop: The Complete Series" for $24.96, so snapped up a copy. Had been wanting the series for ages, and even though money is very tight at the moment, I figured it was too good a deal to pass up.

Albert, I greatly appreciate you bringing up "F-Troop", which was a comedy series that was a big favorite of mine, when it originally ran on the network's prime time TV show schedule, at night. I'm going to look for "F-Troop", within the next day or 2, when I'll be putting on my mask, to then venture into our local Walmart, for one of our bi-weekly visits there.

I'm trying to remember, and sing, all the words of "F-Troop's" theme song, starting with "The end of the Civil War was near, when quite accidentally, a hero who sneezed, abruptly seized, retreat and reversed it to VIC-TORY.........

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Have been enjoying Volume 2, so...

Crown Court: Volume 3

ce123feb009a19a6ff682991799df78b.jpg

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Albert, I greatly appreciate you bringing up "F-Troop", which was a comedy series that was a big favorite of mine, when it originally ran on the network's prime time TV show schedule, at night. I'm going to look for "F-Troop", within the next day or 2, when I'll be putting on my mask, to then venture into our local Walmart, for one of our bi-weekly visits there.

I'm trying to remember, and sing, all the words of "F-Troop's" theme song, starting with "The end of the Civil War was near, when quite accidentally, a hero who sneezed, abruptly seized, retreat and reversed it to VIC-TORY.........
Just watched an episode of F Troop and loved it. It made me wish they had made more.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Courtesy of some close-outs at Big Lots:

The Streets of San Francisco - Seasons 1-3. I've been looking at the complete series box set but really don't know how it might hold up after all these years. I watched it, kind of, during its original airings but... The price made it quite difficult to pass up and I can likely forgo the the last two seasons.

Lavern & Shirley - Seasons 1-5. OK... I'm really not much of a fan and already purchased the first two seasons in the individual boxes (used for ~$4 each - mainly to show my grandson). But, again, the price made it difficult to pass up and get the only 5 seasons I'd want to own. It's S6 when they left Milwaukee for CA and I never did like those seasons. The price was good enough that I can tolerate the double-dip on the first two seasons.

And the prices? Well, I had a 20% off coupon making the cost $13 each *after* sales tax.

And *not* from BL was:

Doctor Who: Terminus - The Peter Davidson Years 1982-1984. Purchased on the strength of the Tom Baker S1 set. I'd watched one of the "Behind the Couch" bonus items which had Sarah Sutton as one of the participants. I thought she was still cute and looked up the series in which she appeared to see what she looked like when younger. This series of episodes is apparently a fan favorite as she's rather skimpily clad for most of the time, supposedly as a "farewell to her fans," and I got an inexpensive copy so why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks