What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hard to believe that Gunsmoke - Season 17 is sold out. Not on the Wal-Mart website, back ordered on Amazon and DeepDiscount. Went to Barnes&Noble and found the last copy on their shelf for 30% off ($34.99). Beginning to think I might never get this season.

Glad to have this. Have also pre-ordered Season 18 and 19. Can't believe this series is almost complete.
I can't believe it's taken this long to get this iconic series into the hands of collectors. This is one I fully expected to see completed years ago.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't believe it's taken this long to get this iconic series into the hands of collectors. This is one I fully expected to see completed years ago.

Once they instituted their no more than 24 episodes per set split season policy, I figured it would take a hell of a long time to see it complete. Then the three years with one season made me figure it wouldn't ever be finished.

But CBS really stepped up the last couple years. The later seasons falling to 24 episodes also helped.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not familiar with that policy. What is it?

It's nothing they've said officially or anything, but look at the split releases and you'll see a pattern develop where CBS decided at some point that they won't really do more than 24 episodes of a season in a single set. And when Gunsmoke's seasons fell to 24 episodes with S16, they started coming out in one volume complete season sets as opposed to the split seasons.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It's nothing they've said officially or anything, but look at the split releases and you'll see a pattern develop where CBS decided at some point that they won't really do more than 24 episodes of a season in a single set. And when Gunsmoke's seasons fell to 24 episodes with S16, they started coming out in one volume complete season sets as opposed to the split seasons.
24 was also the number of episodes per season of Hawaii Five-O for seasons 1, 3 to 7, and 10.
1 = 2-hour pilot + 23 1-hours
2 = 25 episodes (including the banned "Bored, She Hung Herself")
3 to 7, 10 = 24 episodes
8, 9 = 23 episodes
11 = 21 episodes
12 = 19 episodes

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
24 was also the number of episodes per season of Hawaii Five-O for seasons 1, 3 to 7, and 10.
1 = 2-hour pilot + 23 1-hours
2 = 25 episodes (including the banned "Bored, She Hung Herself")
3 to 7, 10 = 24 episodes
8, 9 = 23 episodes
11 = 21 episodes
12 = 19 episodes

~Ben

Added it up, and the math works out to the 278 episodes that O-R Jack Lord Five-O actually had.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Added it up, and the math works out to the 278 episodes that O-R Jack Lord Five-O actually had.
Both seasons 1 and 2 of the classic Hawaii Five-O could have been split in two on DVD (volume 1, volume 2) as both had a total of 25 1-hours (season 1's pilot, "Cocoon," is two hours long; split in two, along with the 23 1-hours that followed, totals 25 1-hours).

Season 2 became a single set because of the obvious absence of the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself."

~Ben

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
A bunch of Gunsmoke DVD s, Car 54 Where Are You as a gift . Patty Duke Show as a gift
Alias Smith And Jones , Barbary Coast ,
Alice , Medical Center WBA sale

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Once they instituted their no more than 24 episodes per set split season policy, I figured it would take a hell of a long time to see it complete. Then the three years with one season made me figure it wouldn't ever be finished.

But CBS really stepped up the last couple years. The later seasons falling to 24 episodes also helped.
I'd like to ask you this about all the various DVD sets. Wasn't the industry standard for DVDs per set established this way?

How I look at it, for the sake of preserving picture quality w/o compression:
32 half-hour episodes per single release (8 episodes per disc)
24 one-hour episodes per single release (4 episodes per disc)
12 90-minute episodes per single release (3 episodes per disc)
6 two-hour episodes per single release (2 episodes per disc)

When studying this, this would mean that, in the terms of Gunsmoke's half-hour run from 1955-61 (also known as Marshal Dillon) on DVD, they would be broken up in two as each of the six seasons making up this third of the run all exceeded 32 half-hours:
Volume 1: 19 or 20 episodes on 3 discs
Volume 2: 19 episodes on 3 discs

Starting with the first hour-long season in the fall of '61, at 34 episodes, it necessitated another split set:
Volume 1: 17 episodes on 4 discs
Volume 2: 17 episodes on 4 discs

~Ben

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd like to ask you this about all the various DVD sets. Wasn't the industry standard for DVDs per set established this way?

How I look at it, for the sake of preserving picture quality w/o compression:
32 half-hour episodes per single release (8 episodes per disc)
24 one-hour episodes per single release (4 episodes per disc)
12 90-minute episodes per single release (3 episodes per disc)
6 two-hour episodes per single release (2 episodes per disc)

When studying this, this would mean that, in the terms of Gunsmoke's half-hour run from 1955-61 (also known as Marshal Dillon) on DVD, they would be broken up in two as each of the six seasons making up this third of the run all exceeded 32 half-hours:
Volume 1: 19 or 20 episodes on 3 discs
Volume 2: 19 episodes on 3 discs

Starting with the first hour-long season in the fall of '61, at 34 episodes, it necessitated another split set:
Volume 1: 17 episodes on 4 discs
Volume 2: 17 episodes on 4 discs

~Ben

Well, they confused us all, because season 1 of Gunsmoke was a single set. 39 episodes on 6 discs. So starting out like that, everyone automatically figured it would continue on that way. Then with season 2 onward, we got the exact split you mentioned.

Edit... and to drag it back somewhere near the topic, I keep waffling on buying Gunsmoke seasons 13-17. 17 seems to be quite popular, since it's out of stock at the big river.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Well, they confused us all, because season 1 of Gunsmoke was a single set. 39 episodes on 6 discs. So starting out like that, everyone automatically figured it would continue on that way. Then with season 2 onward, we got the exact split you mentioned.

Edit... and to drag it back somewhere near the topic, I keep waffling on buying Gunsmoke seasons 13-17. 17 seems to be quite popular, since it's out of stock at the big river.
What I forgot to point out was that I think they also split these up if the content exceeds six discs per single release (cf. the recent releases of Gunsmoke's color run: 24 one-hour episodes on six discs).

I know season eight of Gunsmoke, at 38 one-hours, had 19 episodes on five discs per split volume. Season one of Perry Mason had 39 one-hours, hence the same split volume treatment (five discs each).

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well, I quit waffling and got those Gunsmoke sets.

And believe it or not, we're less than a month from 18 and 19. The end is in sight! Wouldn't surprise me to hear TSOD announce season 20 for April somewhere just before 18 and 19 are released.

When that final (20th) go is released, will there be just the episodes, or will there be some kind of bonuses, as the last couple of releases have apparently had?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks