What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (5 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I have everything before JJTrek on Blu and DVD, and even had VHSs.

I saw the Discovery deal. Good price. Great price. Couldn't have cared less to pick it up. Maybe when it's under 10 bucks. It would still be overpriced, but I could justify dropping $10ish on it. Maybe.

Anyway, last purchase... The Good Place S3. Had to bump a Target order up over $25, and then $35 for free 2 day shipping, and S3 of the show was just released. So it all worked out.
I agonized over it for quite a while before pulling the trigger. I even "held" the order for over a week before finally allowing it to ship. I'm with you on the price - the ~$18 I paid was ~$10 higher than it really should have been. I only caved as I just don't think it'll be much, if any, lower for the foreseeable future as it seems many people really like it and think it's good. I'm not in that group.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
It's a fun show. Good pilot directed by Tom Gries, guest starring the lovely Janine Gray and great music by Dominic Frontiere.
During season 1, it feature stock music from both Stoney Burke and The Outer Limits.
Very popular during the Vietnam war.

Five episodes were directed by magician Sutton Roley*:
"The Life for a Life Raid" (1967)
"The Hide and Go Seek Raid" (1967)
"The Trial by Fire Raid" (1967)
"The Truce at Aburah Raid" (1967)
"The Double or Nothing Raid" (1967)

* Roley was a major director on Combat!, Mannix, Mission: Impossible.

Don't miss "The Double or Nothing Raid" in which injured and feverish Sgt. Moffitt is held prisoner by the Germans
and that features an aggressive wide angle lens style executed by Sutton Roley!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
7 Days - The Complete Collection
The Rockford Files: The Complete Series (Bluray)

Looking forward to both of these. I had almost forgotten about 7 Days - I really enjoy time travel series/stories, and this was an always interesting show. Really liked Nick Searcy and Norman Lloyd in this one.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The Rockford Files: The Complete Series (Bluray)
Doug, you're going to love the upgrade quality of Mill Creek's Blu-ray treatment of my absolute favorite '70s TV series with the great James Garner. There were a few negative "reviews" as to quality of this set...entirely bogus! I don't know what planet these guys viewed it from, but the Mill Creek Blu-ray set is a huge upgrade over the Universal DVDs...It's one of the best purchases I have ever made for this much loved series, previously owning it on VHS and then DVD.

I'm almost ready to buy the Mill Creek Blu complete series of Miami Vice because of the quality of their Rockford Files set, I probably wouldn't otherwise, as I didn't think I needed it in my collection. But with the passage of time and a growing regard for some '80s shows, I think I'll get it. I've heard it looks and sounds brilliant. Music intact from what I understand.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What Randall said... That MC BR Rockford Files set is excellent and a vast improvement over the Universal DVDs.

I have never viewed the Universal discs. I popped in the first disc and was just going to check out the first act, got caught up in the story and found myself finishing the episode. Great recommendation . Thanks.

A little background. I was in my senior year of high school when this series began. Very busy year. I caught episodes here and there but was not a regular viewer. I always enjoyed each particular story, but sure was glad that each episode was essentially self contained. I followed up high school with 4 years of college so I was still not a regular viewer.

Again, syndication to the rescue. I found the series to be enjoyable and wanted to purchase this once the MC Blu-ray came out, just a bit out of my price range initially. In the last 6 months or so, I have dropped cable, just Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access and she hockey season starts possibly Sling. This allows me more time and a bit more money to finally pick up more tv on DVD.

After all the comments in the dedicated thread, I felt safe making this purchase. See what you guys inspired. Looking forward to making some comments soon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Benson - S2 - and I discovered it's a BOD. At least I only paid $5 and, yes, I verified it's legit (DL discs ~8GB each). I also read some reviews (Amazon so...) that claim issues with correct episodes so will be checking that - but for the price I really don't know if I care just as long as it plays without issue.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thriller complete 43 episodes. this is the 70s brit series. vei had this direct for $13.99 + shipping (2.99). so many things I need to get from them. kid in candy store!
I picked that one up almost 3 years ago (for a bit more than you paid) and it's still sitting here unopened!

That seems to be the fate of much of what I purchase these days. Too much stuff to watch and too little time. One of these days I'm going to retire and then I'll have time... OK... I still likely won't because my wife will come up with lots of stuff for me or us to do other than sitting around "watching old TV shows" (something she cares for not at all). ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I picked that one up almost 3 years ago (for a bit more than you paid) and it's still sitting here unopened!

That seems to be the fate of much of what I purchase these days. Too much stuff to watch and too little time. One of these days I'm going to retire and then I'll have time... OK... I still likely won't because my wife will come up with lots of stuff for me or us to do other than sitting around "watching old TV shows" (something she cares for not at all). ;)

At minimum for any newly purchased dvds, I will at least copy all the discs' isos to the computer. This is to check for any manufacturing defects which are not visible to the naked human eye, and for later watching the isos on my htpc.

(I don't really buy blurays anymore, though I will check them on the computer for manufacturing defects for the few new blurays I do actually buy).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Thriller complete 43 episodes. this is the 70s brit series. vei had this direct for $13.99 + shipping (2.99). so many things I need to get from them. kid in candy store!

A few weeks ago I purchased the 13-disc set of Thriller off Amazon. I paid $25, but it still seems like a bargain for 43 episodes. It's a great set of psychological thrillers with top-notch guest stars.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A few weeks ago I purchased the 13-disc set of Thriller off Amazon. I paid $25, but it still seems like a bargain for 43 episodes. It's a great set of psychological thrillers with top-notch guest stars.

IIRC, my vei copy of Thrillers had 8 discs. I paid around $15 for it several years ago at a nearby wallyworld.

So it sounds like there's two different VEI versions of this set. A full 13-disc set with 3 or 4 episodes per disc, and a disc-reduced 8-disc version with 5 or 6 episodes per disc.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
oops! this has 8 disc. Bummer it's on it's way. wish I got the other one instead.

Wondering how bad. Hopefully not in the Ray Bradbury Theatre departments. I might send it back. I guess Cannon, McMillian & wife and others have this same deal. that's why they are so cheap. glad I didn't spend the $200!

Here's the one I got. amazon say 8 disc. they have the older version at 1 disc. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/British-Clas...Y/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I'm single but was hoping to grab a halfway good looking honey off the street (her coming willingly of course!!) later on. but she'd have to understand there will be time for other ladies like Lucy, Laverne, Shirley, Edith, Esther (watch it sucker!!), ...will do the rest of the list later. lol

I know! It looks so good. I hate I got this 8 disc one. Would have paid more.. maybe they won't be all echo bridge. I thought VEI was trustworthy. Would be awesome if the old discs were 4gb and these new ones are 8gb.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't know how Thriller was originally shot, but it appears to be sd video tape quality.

(Other shows from the 1970s period with similar sd video tape picture quality, would be something like all in the family or jeffersons).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks