1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dillon*G, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Message #8661 of 8972 May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Today from Amazon: Universal all-in-one of The A-Team

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Hammer House of Horror: The Complete Series

Flashgear, Purple Wig and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Man in a Suitcase, Volume 6 on Blu-Ray. Another ITC classic series completed, thanks to Network.[​IMG]

4. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Jeff, I almost wish that other labels would sell individual discs the way Network does in R2/RB...I think I need to start buying the various volumes of Man in a Suitcase (and many others you have highlighted here for us) while they're still in print...are the Network releases generally available across the board or are there some back catalog releases that are now long OOP and much harder to get? Do you deal with Amazon.uk pretty much exclusively, or do you have other sources across the pond? Thanks!

I received S3 of High Chaparral last week. Another excellent Shout release, just beautiful. $26.99 Can., approx. $20.25 U.S.

Get Smart
    S5 for $10 Can.,$7.50 U.S....Series complete now in my collection.

I have Bonanza S9 on pre-order, coming next week from Amazon.ca...$72 Can., $54 U.S.

And lots of feature films on Blu and DVD. Viva La Tax Return!

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Just pre-ordered Better Call Saul: Season 4 on Blu-ray, streeting next week.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  6. Message #8666 of 8972 May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I just now bought The Flintstones: Prime-Time Specials Collection, Volume 2! This DVD contains all four of the "Flintstone Specials" that aired on NBC in 1980 and 1981:
    The Flintstones' New Neighbors (9/26/1980)
    Fred's Final Fling (11/7/1980)
    Wind-Up Wilma (10/4/1981)
    Jogging Fever (10/11/1981)

~Ben

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Continuing my quest to obtain as many of the "BBC Top 100 Sitcoms" as possible (the link is to an IMDB list of the official results):

Barbara - The Complete Series (R2)
    Bread - The Complete Collection (R2)
    Steptoe & Son - The Complete Series (R2)

Currently missing 12 of the top 50 with only 2 of those being in the top 25 (The Likely Lads and My Family). (Missing 30 of the bottom 50)

8. Message #8668 of 8972 May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Hi there, Randall! Good news on the extra tax return money (and it resulting in some nice TV-on-DVD sets!)

While I'm happy to support Network's ITC Blu-Ray remastering program by buying the individual volume releases, it is most definitely not the cheapest option. Those I always buy direct through Network's site
    ( https://networkonair.com/ ), at roughly $10 a pop, shipped to Japan.

I don't mind paying extra to do my small part to fund the restoration of some of my personal favorite TV series (and goodness knows, I've nabbed a slew of Network's DVD releases for pennies on the dollar, compared to their initial price, over the years, in various sales)...but in your case, I'd suggest waiting a few more months and picking up the Man in a Suitcase Complete Series set from Amazon.co.uk for far less. Currently, the Department S Complete Series set is only 16 pounds (about $28 CAD, excluding shipping) and the Randall & Hopkirk - Deceased Complete Series set is 25 ($44 CAD). Please note that these Blu-Ray sets are region Free and look absolutely amazing, and are well worth the money at those prices, IMO. I don't know for sure, but I would expect the MIAS Complete Series set to show up there by the end of summer or sooner, at a similar price point.

Re: your question about the continuing availability of these and other titles (including DVD sets) from the Network catalog...while in the past, Network had a few online only exclusives, those days seem well past and pretty much everything they've ever released still seems to be available (with the notable and sad exception of The Sweeney Series 1 Blu-Ray, which went the way of the dodo...and which must not have sold well enough to convince Network to release further seasons, sadly...) Their online store user interface is a little clunky but works well enough, and the company's service is quite good. Just be careful not to order too many sets at once, as the shipping rates tend to quadruple once a certain weight is exceeded (I find 3 to 4 sets are usually the limit to keep in their flat 7.80 pound international shipping fee range). When ordering one title at a time, their rates are very reasonable.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I think Howie has possibly also had some experience with buying through Network's website, so he may have some additional advice for you.

Flashgear likes this.
  9. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Howie, you are probably aware of this, but there is a Likely Lads Collection available for about 11 pounds on Amazon UK that includes the 8 (at that time) surviving episodes of the original The Likely Lads, plus both series of the follow-up Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, plus the 1974 Christmas Special. The two recently recovered missing The Likely Lads episodes have received their own separate release as extras on Network's The Likely Lads movie Blu-Ray release, and are of course not included in the 2006 Collection set.

Flashgear likes this.
  10. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks Jeff for all the fine info! I've never visited the Network site directly, I'll check it out! The few network releases I have in my collection I purchased directly from Amazon UK...thank you for the info and caution about their shipping weight threshold, I imagine their shipping rates to Canada would be comparable, even though you're a more distant customer. Thanks also for the reminder that some of their Blu sets are region free...I had forgotten that entirely. I also have a region free player for those that aren't. My Canadian dollar is at more of a disadvantage in exchange for the Pound Sterling, unfortunately. And the recent Kino Lorber and Twilight Time sales have blown a hole in my wallet. ha. ha...

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    You're welcome, Randall! Yes, I was a bit taken aback at the exchange rates for the Canadian dollar against the pound! The yen has been stronger against the pound recently, which makes these sorts of purchases a little easier to accept in my case. I hear you on the Kino Lorber sale, I indulged a bit there as well, including The Night Stalker Special Edition Blu-Ray, which I suppose counts as a TV-on-DVD purchase. No more disc buying for me till June, though, most likely. :D

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I have that original set in my Amazon.uk cart... er basket. ;) I didn't know about those 2 missing episodes. I may have to look into that disc as well.

I tend to do purely opportunistic purchasing and jump on sets when the price drops. That's what happened on the 3 I picked up this time. All were at, or near, historical lows so I pulled the trigger (and I looked hard at getting that Likely Lads set as well). As soon as the order shipped, Barbara dropped a couple of pounds more... of course... (it was still a very good price at £10.48).

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  13. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I finally ordered the two sets of season 14 from Gunsmoke.
    And as Matt Dillon used to say to his opponents: “Hold it right there!”.

gun_s14_v1. gun_s14_v2.

14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Just 12 more volumes to go (last 6 seasons' worth, 1969-75)!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Watching through this set:

upload_2019-5-5_9-39-56.

It is fascinating in small increments. What is painfully obvious however is how completely unfunny the antics of Harpo Marx have become. First of all he is shown on numerous shows doing exactly the same 2 or 3 bits over and over. Couple this with comedy based on smoking and acting wildly inappropriate toward women and you have a very sad excuse for comedy today. He has become painful and boring to watch.

16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Here is that A-Team release (received today):

15570890473067080904059752897306. 15570890919741916891245943579275.

Jasper70, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  18. Message #8678 of 8972 May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Good one-- best remembered quote, IIRC!

Another thing about this: discs are color-coded by season, as originally on NBC--

Orange: first go (winter/spring 1983)
    Green: second (1983-84)
    Red: third (1984-85)
    Blue: fourth (1985-86)
    Purple: fifth-and-final (1986 [one final episode in 1987])

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Bumping this up, from 2nd and Charles in Greenville today:

For me: first, the all-in-one of 1st & Ten (hit HBO 1984-91 football comedy w/Delta Burke, et al.)
    1stten1. 1stten2.

And the first-and-second-season release from A&E/New Video of Homicide: Life on the Street (1993 and 1994):

homicide1-2-1. homicide1-2-2.
    Finally, for my mother for her Mother's Day present from me: the Movie Collection of The Waltons (had been meaning to get this for her for the longest time, and now she has it!)

JayHink and Flashgear like this.
  20. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    Got last week The Walton's seasons 4 and 9. Series finished. Just have to get The Homecoming and the post series movies. Also bought Gidget the complete series from Mill Creek.

bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.