What's new

what's the dumbest Christmas present you've ever received? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd start a seasonal thread. My presents this year are just what I wanted, but I was reminded of a string of presents from a well-meaning (and now, alas, dead) relative that were utterly, hopelessly, wrong.

My favourite was so weird I had to phone her to ask what it was. It was a circular silver tray (roughly 2 inches diameter) in the middle of which was a model of an old fashioned Enlish pub sign (for those unfamiliar with Brit scenery - basically imagine a gallows, but instead of the body you have a sign with the pub's name on it), roughly 4 inches tall. I and my family spent a good hour trying to work out what this was for, until in the end I phoned up. Turns out that it was intended to hang your watch on at night. I tried this, and the whole thing fell over.

My dad once got a novelty tyre pressure gauge from her - the first time he tried it, the pressure from the tyre caused the end of the gauge to shoot out with such force it embedded itself in the garage wall.

Anyone got similar tales, or was this relative unique?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I had a previous SO to announce one year that she would not accept household items as gifts for christmas.... then for christmas she gave me a set of coffee cups... just regular ones!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I was hoping I wouldn't have to mention the silver plated computer mouse in a HTF thread again, but I guess I have to now! :) This was in 2000, from my mother in law (go figure).
A couple of years ago HER mother gave us a Christmas nativity set. Nothing wrong with that in itself, except it was only the figures, not the whole set--and they look like they had been dug out of a landfill or something. They were made out of unpainted plaster, pieces were missing (Joseph's nose, and Mary's head had been glued back on), and were ugly as sin. Those promptly went in the trash.
KJP

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
At least one of my relatives reads the HTF, so all I can say is I'd be letting the cat out of the bag if I mentioned one of my bizarre presents. My aunt is the real expert at strange presents though; one Christmas she clearly forgot that she had three nephews while wrapping them. I got a pair of candle holders (quite nice ones, to be fair), one brother got a single one, and the other didn't get anything!

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Cheap chocolate covered cashews from my brother. I enjoy Christmas shopping and try to put alot of thought into my familys gifts. Next year I may not give too much effort into choosing his gift. I will not even mention the shirt that was given. I could problably be an extra in "That 70's Show".

Jeff_P

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I received, this year, a string of X-mas lights from a brother in law...WTF, and he left the price tag on, $20. He knows I am into HT, beer and cigars.
Peace Out~:D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Chia Pet !!!!

(ok - it was a White Elephant gift exchange... also came home with 2 "Bud Light - King of Karaoke" jackets)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
My mother-in-law is the queen of goofy presents. My wife and I were engaged a few years back, and for the following Christmas, she bought the serving platter that went with the fine china we registered for, wrapped it and put my name on it. Then she took a picture of me opening it.
Oh.....boy....gee....wow....thanks.....
Now, each Christmas my brother-in-law and I get the same present. I just wait for him to open his presents, then I know what I got!
We got even this year though, we bought her a Bose wave radio! :laugh:

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Here is a good one. This Christmas my fiancee's dad sent me a stocking. That was nice. So, now me and my fiancee have matching ones. Well, it was filled with:
A lock( what the heck am I going to lock up?? My fiancee?? :) )
Gas defrost, or somthing like that. People use it up north to keep there gas from freezing. Well, about the coldest it ever gets here in TEXAS!! is about 25. hummm, ya, I needed that.
A chip clip. Basicaly a paper clip for chip bags. They can be nice. This one was about a half inch, and I am afraid to use it, bucause it looks like it would break, and poke my eye out. (hehe and it is red ;) )
ahhh, I can't wait till next year, and we are married. He'll probaly seend me a picture of him holding a shotgun. :D

I got condoms as a stocking stuffer...talk about embarassing opening that in front of your whole family. Nest year ill have to get even with my parents.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I got underwear and socks as stocking stuffers one year.
Hey, as a single bachelor, I consider those great gifts. Nothing like buying yourself a few days extra before laundry day. Unless, of course, you're talking about tube socks and bikini briefs. Naturally, when I was a kid, this was not a gift I could get excited about. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
When I was a teenager, my grandmother once sent me a barbie doll. No, I don't know why.

My wife's brother, whom we never see and rarely talk to, one year wrapped up a bunch of stuff from around his house. It just looked like he had cleaned out his attic or something and sent all this junk to us. Mostly little plaster and ceramic figurines, all old, all used, all chipped/scratched/etc, none worth keeping even if they were brand new. Worse, he wrapped them up in newspaper that he had used for his birds, so there was bird shit all over inside the package. We dumped the whole thing in the garbage and wrote him a nice thank you letter.

My mother in law gets me a shirt every year for my birthday and Christmas. She must think I'm huge, because she gets XXLs. I'm about 5'6-5'7, ~135lbs. You could fit two of me in one of these shirts. They're nice, they're just way too darn big. I give them to friends who will fit into them better...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks