What's new

What's the difference between Chorizo and Andouille sausage? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Dennis, I took a look through my varied and (seemingly) countless cookbooks and couldn't find a jambalaya recipe with okra in it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and file gumbo;
'Cause tonight I’m gonna’see my ma cher amio;
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o;
Son of a gun, we’ll have big fun on the bayou.

I agree that jambalaya does not have okra as an ingredient—then again, neither does file gumbo.

But chorizo may be in either a casing or loose, while andouille is always in a casing. Of course sausage in a casing may be sliced as thinly or thickly as the cook desires, so one can find very fine jambalayas that have sausage ranging from thin slices to chunks.

For me chorizo (at least Mexican) includes chilies, while andouliie does not.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I have nothing really important to add as far as the difference between the two items in question, but I will say this about chorizo....

Best cooked with scrambled eggs and ham. My grandmother use to cook chorizo every morning for breakfast (typical mexican meal in the morning). She would could up some delicious ham, homemade beans (never canned) and mix in chorizo with scrambled eggs. She would always have chile with everything.

She also made chorizo patties rolled in a chile paste. YUM!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks