What's the difference between Chorizo and Andouille sausage?

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
My mom made Jambalaya and used Italian sausage
I was like "You can't do that!" it tasted more like Sausage and peppers (over rice) than jambalaya.

Anyways, I was telling her that she needed to use that 'other' sausage, but I couldn't remember if it was chorizo or andouille. We started discussing and I was confused as to the real differences between them. I always thought they were basically the same, but my sister in law (who is part Spanish) said there was a difference, but she couldn't tell me exactly what it was.

Anyone?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt
andoullie is the one you want. chorizo is a mexican sausage that is not eaten in the casing-you open it up to cook it, the bits of meat are about the size of tic-tacs. Its really greasy, although there is a great soyrizo product that is much better for you.

Patrick_S

Producer
Reaction score
Just look them up on Wikipedia and you'll find a good description of both sausages.

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I did that at first, but Andouille didn't look like anything I've seen. I thought the stuff in jambalaya was a real thin sausage (like the size of peperoni) and according to my wiki search, chorizo seemed to be what I was thinking of because it was spanish. But according to my sister in law (and backed up by Matt) it's not what they use in jambalaya. So now I'm really confused.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Kurt
Yeah, the Andouille in that wiki picture doesn't look like any of it I've ever bought. Of course, I never shopped for raw sausage in that part of the world either. Ultimately, I prefer Linguica to either of them, though.

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Actually, chorizo is originally Spanish and/or Portuguese (Portuguese Kale Soup contains chorizo). Most of the chorizo in my area (Boston) is Portuguese out of Fall River and New Bedford, big former Portuguese whaling towns. Mexican chorizo has it's origin in Spain. Andouille is similar, but it is more a combination of French, Spanish, Carribean and African influences (like most cajun/creole). Chorizo is all meat and spices, whereas andouille sometimes has fillers such as potato or rice (there are 100 different 200 year old recipes for andouille and every one is "authentic"). They both are a cured spicy sausage that are more alike than different. However, authentic Jambalaya/Gumbo is made with andouille.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Kurt

Interesting, the folks that introduced me to Linguica were from New Bedford. French/Italian, though, not Portuguese.

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Of course, to add to my confusion, I always had trouble with the difference between traditional Spanish rice and Jambalaya.

But out of all this confusion, there is ONE thing I do know - Jambalaya is not good with Italian Sausage.

Kevin Hewell

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Chorizo (at least the ones I've dealt with) has always had a much more smokey flavor and smell than the andouille I've dealt with.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Reaction score

When we lived in R.I. we ate Chorizo a lot. Sliced and cooked on a grill with green peppers etc........ Yummmm. My uncle was portugese from Mass.

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor
Reaction score

New Bedford and Fall River have a huge Portuguese population, so even though French/Italian, they still probably grew up on Gaspar's (the local Linguica that is shipped out of NB/FR) or even better, some small corner shop that's been making it for 200 years. Mmmmmm.

For a great breakfast, try Linguica and eggs. It's fantastic.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Kurt

Sounds good. They used to order a plain cheese pizza and crumble Linguica over the top. I loved it.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis

That's the standard "Hawaiian Breakfast" served with rice.

I always thought it was:

Chorizo - Spanish or Mexican
Linguica - Portugese
Andouille - Cajun or Arcadian

My cheap score of the week is Aidell's Cajun Style Andouille. Fred Meyer knocked the price for a 12 oz. package down from $5 to $2.50 since the "use or freeze" date is next Monday. I'll make Jambalaya with it and some of the big shrimp I have in the freezer.

Big question: is it permitted to put okra in Jamabalaya? No fresh okra around here so I picked up a bag of frozen okra slices - should be OK in a stew pot dish like Jambalaya.

Kevin Hewell

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I guess you can but it's much more traditional to put okra in gumbo. I've never had it in jambalaya. It might make it a bit slimy.

nolesrule

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Slightly off-topic...

I don't eat pork products, but I like Louisiana cuisine such as jamablaya and red beans and rice. I always have to ask for my beans sausage free, and I never order the jambalaya in Louisiana. I only make my own.

Anyone know if there are any vegetarian imitation andouille sausage products on the market? I'd like to be able to make my own closer-to-authentic jambalaya.

I already go vegetarian on breakfast sausage and bacon (hurray Morningstar Farms), and there's some great vegetarian beer bratts and italian sausage as well.

nolesrule

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I don't eat pork. I have a kosher home. It's hard to find kosher beef sausage products other than hot dogs, but the vegetarian ones are almost always kosher.

The reason I asked is because I have made jambalaya at home, but it always seems like it's missing something flavor-wise, and I assume it's because of no andouille in it.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
All the other Aidells sausages are made from chicken and turkey, but for some odd reason the Andouille sausages are made from pork.

You could try their other sausages: they have one with Jalapeno peppers made with chicken and turkey.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
I know of one kosher sausage company called Jeff's Gourmet. Looks like they sell a Cajun Chicken sausage.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John_Weber