What's new

Whats the best size for a hometheater room? (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
We are building a new house and I want to know what you guys think is the best size for a hometheater room. I don't want it to be way big because the rooms purpose is for only one thing.

Thanks

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's not so much the size of the room, but the ratio (length x width x height) you use to avoid acoustic problems. Ideally, you would build a room with no parallel surfaces to avoid standing waves... but that would look silly (and would be hard to hang those movie posters).
The general concensus is to then go with a ratio that the fewest amount of frequencies will "stand" in. One rule of thumb is the "Golden Mean" which would be a 1 x 1.618 x .6. (IE: 13.5' wide, 22' long, 8' tall)
(Link Removed)
There are other ratios... only... I can't seem to find the website that explains 'em at the moment. I'll edit this post when I come across it.

Scott_G

Second Unit
best size for a hometheater room
A big ONE ;)
Really - How many people do you want to watch at the same time. How much furniture do you want to put in it.
The bigger the room - the more power you will need - think big SVS's :)
My room is 13 x 20. With the 56" RPTV and couch about 9 feet away, I have some bean bags that you can sit on in front. I could put in theater seats and do two rows of 5. and seat about 12 -15 - that would be real tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks