What's new

What's So Great About Getting Drunk (1 Viewer)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
How many Williamson males have to die before they get it!? I tell you this, all that bullshit ends with THIS Williamson! I have never touched a drop of alcholhol in my 30 years on this planet, and I never will, EVER, under any circumstance.
I agree - if you have a long family history of alcoholism, you might want to avoid drinking. The decision not to drink is always a respectible decision. No one should ever be derided for abstaining from alcohol.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Don't mean to judge or anything. Someone says that being drunk will raise a person's confidence. Why can't the person have that same level of confidence without being drunk? That's just so very sad.

I do drink, I drink a lot, I NEVER got drunk (I just tend to pee a lot if I drink that much alcoholic beverages). I drink because I like the taste of the drink. I think I have enough self confidence to not hide behind my bottle just to approach a girl.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
To me, there is nothing great about being drunk. When I say drunk I mean drunk enough to where you can't walk, you get sick and have a hangover. I certainly don't enjoy that. I have never drank to where I threw up but I did drink enough once (~15 years ago) to get a hangover and I will never ever do that again.

Now drinking till you get a buzz or you feel the effects of the alcohol is a different story. I see absolutely no reason to drink alcoholic beverages if you don't want to feel the alcohols effect. It's not like a Scotch on the rocks or a Rum & Coke taste good by any stretch of my imagination. I know exactly how much, how fast and under what conditions, alcohol it takes to get me right where I want to be. When I'm there, I'm mellow, not trying to fight the world, less inhibited about saying what's on my mind, basically just chillin'. I never do this around the kids.

There have been a few occasion where I've actually said, "I gonna get drunk tonight". Usually after something very stressful at work has come to an end. I'm home, drink to get to my limit, may spout off a few curse words, next thing you know, I'm sleep. No harm, no foul.

I usually drink at home. I do enjoy a drink before dinner especially when dining out with my wife. Most importantly, I never drive under the influence.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Why can't the person have that same level of confidence without being drunk? That's just so very sad.
Sorry, it's just that I am real shy around the ladies.
I really do wish I could just walk up to them and start talking, but for some reason I can't. And the few times that I have had courage,I just made a fool out of myself. Sorry if I need a drink or two to feel more comfortable talking to the ladies. Maybe someday I will be some kind of super-stud and make you happy.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I agree 100% with Mike. I've always been shy and knocking back a few makes it much easier for me. When you're drunk you don't care if you "make an ass out of yourself" and that's why I drink. :D
Anyone have a problem with that? :angry: :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I need a drink or two to feel more comfortable talking to the ladies.
Does having "a drink or two" constitute being drunk? I don't think of someone having a glass of wine with his dinner as "being drunk".

What happens when you're not drinking? Do you stop talking to the ladies? It would be rather sad to think that you need to be in a constant state of inebriation to communicate at all with females.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
. I see absolutely no reason to drink alcoholic beverages if you don't want to feel the alcohols effect. It's not like a Scotch on the rocks or a Rum & Coke taste good by any stretch of my imagination.
Wrong. I love the taste of hundreds of different beers, Dewar's scotch, and Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. I consider myself a social drinker who will get drunk a couple of times a year, but I also have friends who go out with our group and have never touched a drop. We don't hassle them at all for not drinking. It's simply up to the individual.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
John_E:

Would you drink a nonalcoholic version of those drinks assuming they existed and tasted the same?

Does a $5 pina colada taste good? Yes.

Does a $5 virgin Pina Colada taste good? Yeah.

Would I ever consider buying $5 virgin Pina Colada? No. What would be the point?

I drink to feel the effects of alcohol.

Contrary to my own point, I would drink a nonalcoholic beer (Henry Wienhart(sp), Hieneken (sp)dark) with a huge pepperoni pizza, but only if the nonalcoholic version was much much less expensive.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I love drinking. It's pretty much a requisite for me in social situations. Normally, I'm a very quiet and shy person. I'll hardly ever talk to anybody that I don't know. But get a few drinks in me, and I'm just about ready to talk with anybody. I can't explain why, but it takes away most of the social anxities that I normally feel. Am I a loser for being this way? I don't think so. It also makes just hangin' with the buds that much better. We're much more open, which makes for better, more meaningful conversations.

That being said I can't stand the falling-down, slobbering drunks that are so common. They're just plain annoying. I think that's what a lot of the alcohol-naysayers are a associating it with. I've known quite a few guys that would go out every weekend and get fall-down drunk, needless to say I didn't hang out with any of them for long. I've done it a few times, it's fun for about an hour, before your head starts spinning, you're puking in the streets, and you're in pain the whole next day. I've definately grown out of that.

Alcohol can be your best friend or your worst enemy, it all depends on how you choose to use it.

A beer and a baseball game sound great right about now!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I rarely get drunk, and when I do I just tend to get very tired. I don't get much more social or uninhibited either, so there aren't a lot of benefits to drinking for me.

I do drink sometimes if I'm around other drunk people, just because being sober around drunks is probably the closest to hell you can get.

But mostly I don't drink because I'm cheap; there's no way I'm paying that much money just for drinks. If someone offers me a drink I'll take it.

/Mike

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I almost never drink at bars or restaurants. It's too expensive. The most I've every spent at a bar on drinks was $16 and that was for a pitcher of Margaritas. Some of my coworkers routinely spent $60-$100 on the weekend drinking with friends. I never understood that. 20$ will get you what, 3 drinks at a bar? Let's say they're good stiff drinks too. Rare, but let's assume that they are. For $20 you can go to Albertson's, get 1.75 liters bottle of something, a can of lemonade concentrate, a bag of ice, throw it all in a blender and you've got enough (Pink Panties, Dirty Panties, etc.) to get you and at least 2 other people tipsy, buzzed, smashed or hammered. Which ever you prefer.

I guess drinking at bars is a way to meet people, old or new and enjoy socializing. I can see it's appeal to others.

The most fun I've ever had on a computer was playing Quake 3 with 3 other friends after we all had a few drinks. Oh Man !!! That was a riot !!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's my rule: Never pay for alcohol, always imbibe when offered at parties, though, and always in moderation.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I like to drink beer, but not before 6pm. I like to get buzzed. I get drunk sometimes, but not sloppy drunk. I drink at home, never at a bar. I'm just a happy beer drinker who yells at the TV too much, and talks my wife's ear off.:wink: For me, it's all about relaxation.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Being drunk is not fun, but getting there is!

I rarely drink enough to be "fall in the floor" drunk and have never thrown up because of too much alchohol, but nothing beats drinking with a bunch of friends.

Ross' comments above are very well said and state my thoughts exactly.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Great subject!

Chris Bardon... great description of the different drinking levels!

First of all, my name is Mike and I'm NOT an alcoholic. Second, I drink a LOT in social situations. Drinking also helps me meet the ladies, as I'm a shy person by nature. As a matter of fact, my current girlfriend and I met at a bar and we were both drunk. We've been together for over a year now.

For those that criticize us, I say chill! There are folks that are alcoholics and it is considered a disease. Yes, it has no positive effects on those that it affects and the people that surround them. But don't ruin everyone's day. There are plenty of us who do not let alcohol run our daily lives.

With that said, here's some general rules to follow:

- NEVER DRINK & DRIVE
- If you are going to mix beer and liquor, drink the liquor first!
- Have a long, long day of drinking ahead of you (like an all day party)? Pace yourself... you'll settle down nicely into a prolonged buzz.
- Drink a glass or two of water before you go to sleep, most hang overs are caused by dehydration.
- Forgot to drink that glass or two of water the night before? My hangover cure: 2 Alleve, 2 cups of coffee and a shower. Happen to be by a large body of water like the ocean? Go for a swim (the next day please, not when you are drunk!!!), it's UNBELIEVABLE how nice a swim in the Atlantic feels the next day after a night of drinking!
- Got the dreaded spins? Get up and take a walk or do some type of activity, will help out alot. If you are too drunk to get up, then you'll most likely pass out or puke, it happens.

After reading much of this I'm sure some of you will say I have some kind of problem. I assure you, alcohol doesn't rule me, I rule it. I say when it's ok to drink and when it's not. I'm a responsible person who likes to party hard. I rarely will drink alone, never drink during the work week and prefer to have non-alcoholic beverages with my meals (although I'll occasional have a Guiness or glass of wine).

Finally, for those out there that enjoy their drinking, you'll appreciate this. My friends and I have created the Beer Olympics. This year is our 4th annual one which includes a variety of drinking and non drinking games. It's an all day event and it's great fun to get 40+ people (male & female) together drinking and competing. And WE ALL stay at the place were we hold the event... nobody drives home.

Drink responsibly and have fun!

Mike D.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've posted at this forum drunk. Does that count as having fun? :)
Seriously, you need to be in a large world of contrasts in order to understand why people get drunk. I was a DD for a night out one time, and let me tell you, while my friends were fine and safe by the end of the day, my evening sucked a lot of ass.
Lot's of dancing, drinking, Van Morrison songs, Jimmy Buffet songs, Don McClean's "American Pie", and the obligitory rap. I was sitting in the corner sipping on a glass of cold water. Yep, it sucked big time.
I think the best reason I can come up with is called that little thing in the back of your head called reason. Sometimes when we're perfectly sober, we sometimes "logic" our way out of fun situations. To be honest, I'm horribly shy, and I don't speak to people on a normal basis. Drinks in general help me a little bit. Yes, it is a two-edge sword: you can lose enough thought process to gain confidence to talk to people, but you can also lose too much and do something stupid (eg. drive).
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. You essentially lose the thought of consequence when you drink. It's amazing that one minute you're like, "Gee, I hope that girl doesn't get the wrong impression of me," to "Fuck it, we're all friends here, and I don't give a damn what she thinks of me. I'm saying my piece."
But so far, ALL of the people I drink with are pretty cool about people not drinking. I go out to parties with people who never touch a drop of alcohol. If you're more than capable of having fun without drinking, great. One thing we don't tolerate, however, is a "holier than thou" attitude from non-drinkers or any drunkard people who think that those people who don't drink are uncool. I salute all you folks who don't need to drink to have fun.
I just have a little more fun when I do. :)
Yeah, what sums it up in a nut shell is that drinking loosens people up.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
========================================

This is something that i'll NEVER understand about the male population in my family, just about every single one of them drinks like it's water! And the worst part of that is, i've lost a couple of relatives so far to alchoholism, yet my father, brother, uncles, you name it, drink up a storm all the time. It often pisses me off if I think about it too hard, I mean how dumb can they be!? Don't they get the point yet that it's going to kill them eventually!? How many Williamson males have to die before they get it!?
I tell you this, all that bullshit ends with THIS Williamson! I have never touched a drop of alcholhol in my 30 years on this planet, and I never will, EVER, under any circumstance. It's silly to me to drink something that tastes terrible to begin with, but also alters my mind and damages my liver.
========================================

There's a lot of evidence that the disease of alcoholism is hereditary.

Keeping this in mind, one who's got a lot of alcoholics in the family is pretty smart not to ever take that first drink, just as it's smart to watch your cholesterol if you have a family history of heart disease.

I actually enjoy going to partys or going out with people who drink, and actually get a sorta black-humor kick out of the ones who get sloppy drunk.
I like being the designated driver as long as nobody pukes in my car.

The one thing that bothers me the most is when someone who knows I don't drink refrains from having a drink in my presence.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I absolutely loved getting drunk even if it got a little old after the first thousand times or so.

There was no point in pondering whether I was an alcoholic. Like virtually all alcoholics, I was the last to know, and when I did, it was abundantly clear.

Now, when someone offers me a drink, my response is "No thanks, I've had enough." (Actually it was much more than enough, up to and including June of 1985)

Unlike non-alcoholics, I no longer have the luxury of dissolving my shyness in my favorite organic solvent. No matter, it's been reduced to a manageable level with practice.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Howard Williams:

You completely missed my point. I drink those particular drinks because I like the taste. It has nothing do do with alcohol or money for that matter. I'll give you an example: I just finished cutting my grass last night around 9:00PM. It was pretty humid out, and I was thirsty. I went to the fridge in my garage. I opened it, and here's what I saw:

Labatt's Blue (Canadian Beer)
Diet Coke
Coke
Sprite
Bottled Water

I had a Labatt's. Just one. I sat in my driveway all by myself and watched my sprinkler water the lawn while I drank the beer. I didn't feel the least bit drunk, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Your example does not mean anything since it is the alcohol that makes things taste the way they do. If there was a non-alcoholic scotch that tasted and cost the same as Dewars, I would probably buy it and try it. Every couple of months, I have one or two when I smoke a cigar with some freinds. If I have two scotchs over a couple of hours, I don't feel the least bit drunk. I just wanted to make the point that some people do drink alcohol for the taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks