What's So Great About Getting Drunk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Crusing around the HTF and being a high school student, I often hear people's stories of drunken revelry, and I always hear people in my school talking about how hammered they are/were/are going to get, and how great it is. What I wanna know is, what's so great about being drunk? To me, losing control of your mind and motor skills and possibly choking on your own vomit (although there's no way to dust for vomit) doesn't exactly seem like fun, so what's the deal?

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Cool! Keep that attitude and you'll be fine!
    I do indulge in social drinking but it sure does hurt the next day the older I get!
    What's so great about it? I'm more sociable, outgoing, and really can't walk, slur a lot and start to think I'm a world class comedian. On the plus side I get sick to my stomache, think I'm invincible, Invisible, well you get the picture!

3. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Good question. I'm 29 years old and I have yet to catch even a buzz. Everytime I hung out with someone who was drunk it felt like I was babysitting. I've only seen one of my best friends drunk once and it was hilarious to me to see him act so uncharacteristically (was that a word?). He seemed to be having some fun but if it were not for me he would have gotten himself in trouble (taunting cops etc.)

I personally would never want to be drunk in public. When I was in High School and College I heard a million stories from people about the things they did when they were drunk. I rarely ever believed them. For some reason, people love to brag about how unbelievably stupid they acted in public. It is like it is a badge of honor to have made fools of themselves.

If you don't ever start, I don't think you'll be missing much.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, dont start, too much alcohol is bad mmmkay? I must admit, the first part is pretty 'neat', but after that, if you have too much it sucks... gross aftertaste, vomit, hangovers...
    Sorry to say, but i got totally hammered new years eve [​IMG] I vowed i would never get that drunk for awhile... Its been half a year, i've kept my promise [​IMG]

5. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

People who think getting drunk is a good idea are fools. There are a lot of fools in this world. I waited until I turned 21 (last month) to have my first drink, and so far it's the only one I've had. I really see no reason to drink at all, much less get drunk. I don't mind it as an alternative beverage to have with dinner or something like that, but beyond that alcohol seems mighty pointless.

When I've asked people why they drink or get drunk, usually they tell me that it's fun. To which I reply, "I have plenty of fun without drinking. Why can't you?". I'm sure being intoxicated does have a few small advantages. However, car wrecks, addiction, physical violence, and a loose tongue are not things I need. I also don't need the expense; I'd rather spend $20 on a DVD than get a hundred free beers.

For those of you who wish to drink responsibly, go right ahead and make sure you STAY responsible. But it's not my bag.

6. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Wow I haven't been drunk in 3 days. For me it's about relaxing I let loose alot more when I'm drunk. And my friends always say I'm a blast to party with when drunk. So if everyone is having fun and nobody gets hurt then hey. However in no way am I saying that I or anyone else can't have fun without drinking.

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Personally, I can't physically handle hangovers anymore. I will admit that being buzzed was fun, but as age caught up with me the consequences far outweighed the fun. I used to drink obscene amounts and wake up the next morning feeling fine, but now I'd feel like total crap for several days.

It's kind of a funny situation, but once you get past the drinking stage, you don't really miss it. On top of that, you start to wonder what everybody else finds so appealing to drinking. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why my best friend wants to get completely shitfaced every weekend.

BTW, Andrew, they're not sure exactly whose vomit it was...

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I, too, cannot understand why people drink. I've tried beer, champagne, and wine. And all of those drinks I found incredibly distasteful and disgusting (couldn't drink more than a couple sips before regretting it). I really don't understand the appeal of drinking. At least I'll never be an alcoholic, though.

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

At the time, the unpleasantness of vomiting, that intnese headache, the lack of motor functions, the uncontrolable slurring, and the utter despair of waking up and finding that you've stained the best sheets of 3 (yes, that's right 3) of your friend's beds, does not seem like a worthwhile venture. But I can honestly say, with the benefit of numerous months of distance, that the times when we were totally gone, were some of the best times I've had with my friends. I think people that get drunk week after week after week are stupid, but getting very drunk every once in a while is fine. I rarely get very drunk anymore, and I can't stand the after-effects, but being drunk with a group of close friends who are equally drunk can really, really be fun. Just remember, don't go too far, and drink lots and lots of water before you go to bed, and the hang-over should be minimal.

10. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Personally, I have never drank, and never intend to.

I believe anything that alters your state of mind is a waste of time.

No drugs, no alcohol.

If I wouldn't do something without the beer, I don't want to do it.

11. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Drinking with the expressed intent of getting "hammered" is something that people who A) are immature or B) have problems will do. It completely misses the point of what is enjoyable about drinking.

12. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Getting drunk is fun! And while you can't remember everything that has happened, the stuff you do remember are great memories. Never had as much fun as when I have been drunk. [​IMG]
    LONG LIVE ALCOHOL! [​IMG]

13. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Getting Drunk IS NOT fun. I hate that feeling of closing your eyes and the room spinning... although I have never drank so much as to puke.
    I had never drank before a couple of friends and me visited the beautiful country of Ireland (we backpacked from Shannon to Dublin... it was quite beautiful). I have come to the conclusion drinking with a couple of buddies and laughing and socializing IS fun. It is all about LIMITS. If you know your limits and stay within them, drinking can greatly enhance socializing (you loosen up). If you pass your limits, that is when you get into the vomiting/choking on puke area.
    Although I have expanded limits, being Irish-Russian [​IMG]

14. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Count me in as another person who doesn't see the point of getting drunk. I hate the dizziness, nasuea and lack of control associated with intoxication. Personally I rarely drink alcohol anyway.

15. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

The women. Being drunk will make it easier to talk to them. If you make an ass out of your self,you don't care. Also for some reason it makes the women LOOK alot better. Its kind of like that movie Shallow Hal.

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Being drunk makes little sense to me. What little good it does is far outweighed by the harm it does (abusive behavior, drunk driving, physical sickness, etc.). I find it hard to believe that women find a drunk guy more appealing ("hey babe, see what an ass I make of myself?") Yes, very sexy. Not.

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

19. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

20. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

you forgot to add and don't care about it. So are you telling me you never made an ass out of your self when talking to the ladies? Drunk or sober we all make a fool out of are selves. Just being drunk your more inclined to laugh at your self or just blow it off, Or even worst think you are being cool.