What's new

What's So Great About Getting Drunk (1 Viewer)

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,

Pure alcohol does have both an odor and a taste. Not to get too scientific, but it is a hydrocarbon and it has a distinct odor and a burning taste. It's something like CH3-CH2-OH, but I can't remember back to college chemistry. Anyway, the taste comes from the alcohol itself and the interaction with the other ingredients that go into making that particular alcohol. (i.e. hops, barley, etc.). I'm not looking for an argument, I just wanted to clarify.

Edited a couple spelling typos.

Brad_V

Second Unit
I never drank at all until my friend bought a bar a couple years ago. My dad was an alcoholic, so I had a good role model for not drinking. Being at the bar so much helping him remodel and things, I wondered what it was that everyone else could find so great in it. So one night I tried some of the weak stuff. Apple Pucker and things. "Wow, that's some really strong stuff!" lol. Tasted pretty bad, too, which is another reason why I never drank at all.

Then his wife mixes me some stuff that actually tastes pretty good. Midori Sours, Killer Koolaids, etc. Not so bad. Everyone in the bar was making a huge deal out of it, of course. "Hey, everyone! Brad's actually drinking for the first time ever! Let's watch what happens!"

I could immediately sense the changes when they happened. I felt the same, just slower. Not happier, not sadder, just slower. Weeks later, I got talked into playing bar dice for shots. Wound up drinking some pretty heavy stuff when we started getting bored, mixing tequila with bacardi 151, etc, really not a smart thing to do, but I slept there and woke up without even a headache. Did it again another time worse, and as I was in the bathroom puking, that's when I realized I had a limit.

Not long after, the whole "let's play bar dice for shots" and all that started getting boring really fast. I don't drink for the taste, I now only drink for a purpose. I've read stories that Dean Martin was similar, that he would never be drunk, but he'd drink just enough not to have to think so much, and on the rare occasions I drink now, that is generally why. Sometimes it's just nice to not have to think so much. And I don't mean drinking your problems away, but just dulling the thinking in general. My brain is always going, and it can get tiresome and you need a break from it once in awhile.

On the flipside, the thinking and being so aware of myself and everything around me all the time is also a big reason why I don't drink much. I am self-aware enough and have way too much experience in behavior theory and the like to know what changes are happening as well as why I would have the drink in my hand in the first place. So my mind plays through the scenario of the whole experience before I start, and then since I've run the experience in my head, I no longer have any desire to drink at that time because I've already reasoned through the answer of why I was thinking about drinking. It's kinda hard to explain.

So, maybe all of that might help explain one person's drinking now and then to those who don't. I didn't drink for 25 years, drank a decent bit for a year, and now it gets rarer all the time. Like I said, I generally only do it with a purpose in mind, so "social drinking" is silly to me, because if I'm not in the mood to dull my head, then I'd rather just have a Pepsi.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Something else about drinking. It's not just confidence, in fact that's only a small portion of it to me. The effects of alcohol simply give you a pleasing feeling. There is a calmness and you find your emotions more at the surface...not with others, although that aspect naturally happens also, but even home alone listening to a favorite album you will find yourself loving it more than normal.
Music and drinking are a terrific combo to me.
Now drinking until you will puke, that's called being a kid (or a moron). When you are 18-25 you just don't recognize the boundry, and since you are already drunk you tend to tell yourself "fuck it, I'm having another", even when a part of you says "um, maybe it's time to slow down".
In fact when you are a new drinker you often don't recognize that point at all. But puke a couple of times and you get in touch real quick. :)
After that it's easy to get torn up, yet still back off when it's getting to be too much. I might have 4 gin and tonics, maybe a beer or 2 and then switch to water for just a bit to keep from going too far, for example.
And another big key is post-drinking treatment. Make sure to get something in your stomach before going to bed, and if you are still at the spinning stage you need to stay up and walk it off a bit. Spinning means puking is on the way.
And some people will just say screw it and induce puking so they can sleep restfully and feel okay when they get up. I've never taken this approach, but I have stayed up longer and put away some bread to help offset the alcohol. Works well for me.
I haven't puked from drinking in about 10 years at least, and I've been really drunk since then. :)
Now if you are under 21, don't rush it. You'll have years of good drinking ahead of you, enough that you might even tire of it all (like bars which can get old). And a big reason for drinking ages are simply that as you get a bit older you become better equipped to handle yourself in those circumstances. If you think you know some idiot drunks that are 26, just imagine how bad they were at 17. ;)
The biggest drawback to drinking for me is that it's bad on your weight. You can get fat very quickly, both on beer and hard liquor.
And for the record, my fiancee and I met at 2 AM, at a dance club, both hammered. We danced and both made asses of ourselves but had a lot of fun. That was over 6 years ago and we are still going strong. I should add that she was just as attractive a few days later when we went out on a date sober. IMO, Beer Goggles is bullshit. You know they are ugly, you just don't care. ;)
Speaking of being as ass, it occurs to me that far too many of you are looking down on being an ass. To me being as ass means being yourself and letting yourself go, enjoying the moment - it doesn't mean being mean to people (though some drunks are also that).
Most people I know who don't like "asses" are freaking uptight as hell and not willing to let themselves really go. Drunks can be a pain in the butt to deal with, but I always temper my emotions by remember that they are having a damn good time and that is a good thing (if they are your friends at least).

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
I like drinking...I like to get buzzed...sometimes I don't even mind being drunk.
For whatever reason, I seem to see my CD's/records/tapes in a whole new light while drunk or drinking. I find songs that I haven't thought of in years & get down w/ them.
Also, it makes dancing around the room like a jackass so much more acceptable:)
It doesn't hurt that I very rarely get hangovers...In fact, after a hard night o' drinking, I have a tendency to get up even earlier the next day. I'm a freak.
Oh, and I'm no alcoholic, either. I've only been drunk twice in the last 7 months (New Years, when I was trashed...and a little get-together w/ some co-workers last weekend, when I only got a little past buzzed:))

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Excellent post Seth.

Alcohol has been around since the dawn of civilization. Too bad many today can't differentiate between those who enjoy it and those who abuse it.

--
Holadem

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Seth wrote,

Speaking of being as ass, it occurs to me that far too many of you are looking down on being an ass. To me being as ass means being yourself and letting yourself go, enjoying the moment - it doesn't mean being mean to people (though some drunks are also that).
===================================

Well said, Seth. When I had to quit, I had a hell of a time learning to be an ass sober. Took a good 5 years or so to learn not to take life so damn seriously all the time. People think I'm ever so slightly crazy, cause I pretty much say what I think most of the time without any "filtering", but I don't really much care.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like there are differing perceptions of what it means to be an "ass". I interpret it as the short form of the word "asshole", and I consider it to be synonymous with "jerk". I have trouble fathoming why someone would enjoy being perceived as that.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Some of the confusion may stem from the fact that there are four distinct states of inebriation:

(1) jocose
(2) bellicose
(3) morose
(4) comatose

Of course, not all people will experience all of these in order or in the course of any given drinking session. While in state (1) or (2), one may be perceived as a (silly) ass or an ass(hole)-two entirely different images with similar descriptions. If someone proceeds into states (3) and (4) they may find themselves alternately described as a (sorry) ass, a (lame) ass or a (dumb)ass, any of which may be accurate, depending on the circumstances and outcomes.

Abstinence, while I favor it for myself, is not a foolproof defense. My baseline state is (smart)ass, which is similar to state (1) but without a good sense of timing it can land me into as much trouble as state (2), resulting in an unwanted visit to state (3)

Hope this helps.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The best part of the next day - you wake up (early, me too) and crave water (naturally). Chug a bunch of water and you get the secondary buzz, just when you figured you were probably sober now. :) Very odd.
Usually my body feels pretty good by early afternoon after some serious drinking, much better than it normally does. That's a pretty consistent effect for me which I don't really understand.

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
Drinking is a way for people to socialize and get rid of their fears. Most people do it because everyone else is! Do it if you feel like it only!

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
D.A.R.E. = Drugs Are Really Expensive

Getting drunk is a very non intelligent way to go. It's stupid. "Duh, I ain't as thunk as you might drink."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you suggesting imbibing of any sort is "stupid," Ken? Even being "drunk," depending on the circumstances, can be okay. What works for one may not for another. But transfering one's own views to another person never works.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I think it depends on what one would call "drunk"
I have an occasional drink from time to time, and my intent is never to get "hammered" my intent it to relax, let loose and enjoy the time I have either with friends or alone.
I don't drink enough to get "sick" and or vommit, I don't have the experience of the room spinning, nor do I have hangovers. Drinking has never been an un-enjoyable experience for me..now for my friends and how they feel about me when I've had a few to many that's a different story :D
Stay away from booze if you can't handle it, same goes for drugs and any other similar activity. It effects everyone in a different way. If you don't like the way you are/who you become on such toxins stay away from them...
The ONE thing I can't stand about alchohol is those people who will get into their car after hammering back a few too many and head out on the highway. NEVER I repeat NEVER get into a vehicle with the intent on driving after you have had something to drink. Life is too short to play games with your life and the lives of others out on our highways.

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Reasons I drink (and sometimes get drunk)
1. I like the taste of the alcohol I drink (beer 90% of the time)
2. It's a great social opportunity for me and friends. (for those of you who say you don't have to drink to have fun, I agree, but I seem to have much more fun when I am drinking)
3. It's a great way to meet women. Whether it be at a bar or at a party, women seem more approchable and relaxed when drinking. Also that boost of confidence is really what some guys need. (and what others really DONT need :)
4. It's a great way to relax. Sometimes there is nothing like coming home from a hard day at the office, or coming in from mowing the lawn and cracking a beer. Ice water just doesn't hit me the same way :)
5. Did I mention that beer tastes good?
Thats my opinion.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I drink.

Very rarely.

I've never been "drunk" and never want to be. One beer is enough to get my head spinning if my stomach isn't completely full of food. The occasional beer is great; I've got some Budweiser in my fridge right now. That 12 pack would last me 6 months if I was the only one drinking it.

I actually prefer liquor over beer. Some peach schnapps and orange juice makes my evening much more pleasant. Actually, I like a lot of mixed drinks. Again, though, a $20 bottle of liquor will last me many many months. My last bottle of peach schnapps took me a year to drink.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
While I don't get "fuggered" near as much as I used to, I do enjoy drinking to some degree. I'll drink more than a 12 pack about 4 or 5 times in any give month, mainly for these reasons:
1) Because I just feel like sitting down and having a few beers.
2) I'm playing (at practice or a gig) and it really helps me loosen up a bit.
3) Going out to the clubs because there isn't really anything better to do.
As to the question of "What's so great about getting drunk"
Everything. :) Until you wake up the next morning. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks