What's Next for The Director's Label?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jake Johnson, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Any word on what's coming out next? After Jonze, Gondry, and Cunningham, that is.
    Fincher?
    Dave Meyers?

2. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

Rumor is Mark Romanek could be coming up soon.

3. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Oh yeah, forgot about him. The videos on his website, www.markromanek.com are really good.

4. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Romanek and Fincher seem like natural choices for this series.

Who's Dave Meyers?

On another note, the first three releases completely flipped around my expectations. I was most looking forward to the Cunningham disc and was indifferent to the Gondry disc. After watching them all... Gondry is a frickin' genious. Cunningham's disc, however, was a disappointment.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Fincher and Romanek would be awesome!

On a related note, I'd love to get a collection of all of Marilyn Manson's videos. Whatever you may think of his or his music, all of his videos are always visually interesting. In my opinion anyway... Here's hoping.

Also, would be nice to get a Ridley Scott disc. Maybe not in this series, but the man directed tons of commercials. Would be interesting.

6. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

On a related note, I'd love to get a collection of all of Marilyn Manson's videos. Whatever you may think of his or his music, all of his videos are always visually interesting. In my opinion anyway... Here's hoping.

Agreed. I converted my "God is in the T.V." VHS to DVD-R. Nice to be able to easily flip to "Dope Hat" to freak visitors to my place out. Unfortunately, that tape lacked all of the post-MA vids...

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'd like a collection of Golden Earring videos.

8. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Dave Myers is probably the top director in music videos at the moment. Hes done over 170 of them. Mostly for hip-hop artists. Despite the music, many of his videos are full of imagination and style. He occasionally puts out a crapper, but when you make so many, its bound to happen. Ludacris' Stand Up(?) and Missy Elliot's Pass The Dutch are his two most recent.
    I know Michael Bay did music videos before he became Bruckheimer's lover. Might be interesting to see his stuff.
    McG's stuff as well.

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

10. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I'm not comparing Meyers to Gondry or Jonze, or Cunningham. That WOULD be absurd. The Director's Label says that its dedicated to directors who have "re-defined music videos and filmmaking over the last decade." With over 170 videos to his credit, and having worked with just about every artist who gets their videos on tv, he meets that criteria. I admit that his videos are not art, but they are fun to watch, and aside from the cliches of dancing women and money he often includes in his videos, there is always something unexpected, and inventive in them.

11. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Ha! I knew Dave Meyers when I was in grad school. He was one of those annoying white kids with dreads who kept trying to be "street."

I would buy a Mark Romanek collection in a heartbeat. Rented the Chris Cunningham one-- blew my mind.

13. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I saw Meyers on Cribs. He was trying to be street there, too. He cut the dreads, though. Nice house as well.
    The more I see of Mark Romanek, the more I want his stuff on dvd. Somebody has gotta like Dave Meyers besides me![​IMG]

14. Chris Clark

Chris Clark Agent

I'd like to see Neo's work get collected, but they are fairly new to the game. Still, their latest vid, Futureshock's "Late at Night" was enough to make me think this duo deserves a disc of their own.
    They used to have their collected work, aside from their short films posted on their site, but the bandwidth was killer (looking at the site again, it looks likemost of it is back up).

15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The only real music video comps I *really* want are good-quality (and not just tape-to-DVD transfers like the Roxy Music collection) versions of the Peter Gabriel and New Order comps that came out in the early '90s. I just got the Talking Heads boxset and am very grateful to have the "Storytelling Giant" DVD.

16. PaulP

PaulP Producer

DavisDVD reports this today:

17. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Any updates on this? Any more names added to the list?

18. PaulP

PaulP Producer

19. Jon Ganahl

Jon Ganahl Auditioning

This was quite a surprise to read. I've been waiting for the next batch since before the first batch even launched; glad to see we're getting more. I'll end up with the Romanek and Glazer sets for sure. I'll have to wait and see on the others.

20. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I'll probably pick up all 4 but I still feel kinda burned by buying the first 3 only to have Palm release box set of them that included an extra bonus disc.