What's new

What's Next for The Director's Label? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
That's a nice new lineup. I'd still like to see them dig back a little into the golden age of video directors, particularly Zbigniew Rybycynzski (Art of Noise, Simple Minds), Russell Mulcahy, Tarsem Singh, Mary Lambert, and Tamra Davis.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice to see more coming out, but I'm with Bill, I too feel burned from the box set.:angry:

All of these upcoming ones look pretty great.

FAns of unusual videos can't go wrong with Bjorks "Volumen" set, that features pretty near every video up to but not including her latest CD. Though she is heavilly represented inthese collections, all of her videos are interesting to watch.

Marilyn Mansons videos are available all most complete on the SE of his greatest hits CD, that came with the exclusive videos DVD. I don't know what the availability is, but I picked it up for the videos only, I was never a big fan of his stuff. I would love to se a collection of Nine Inch Nails though, Trents always had good videos, and his curent work in 5.1 would make a wonderful match to the visuals.

I would also like an updated Radiohead set, a band who like Bjork, always made great videos tht are strikingly different from the norm.

I'm starting to feel like Jerry Todd, talking about all this great video!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sadly no commercials on the Mark Romanek set. I love his "car music" ad, or whatever it's called.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to get off on a tangent here but I think that any time a box set with additional DVD content is released AFTER the individually-released titles, they should be obligated to make it available to those who purchased the earlier editions. Universal released the first two "Jurassic Park" movies in a 2-pack and later released the trilogy with a bonus disc, but those who bought the two-pack and the third film seperately could order the box and bonus disc. I would gladly send $5 or even $10 to Palm Pictures to get that Jonze/Gondry bonus disc.

Edit: I just sent the following e-mail to a bunch of people at Palm Pictures (including Palm founder Chris Blackwell):

I loved the first three volumes of "The Director's Label" and while I would normally be incredibly enthusiastic about the four new upcoming volumes, I have to say that I, along with many others, am very upset that the first three volumes were quickly re-packaged with an additional disc of Jonze/Gondry content shortly after their first individual release. This is no way to reward those consumers who supported your product in the beginning. When Universal released the first two "Jurassic Park" films, they were simply packaged together in a 2-pack. When the third film was released, they released a box set with all three films and an additional bonus disc. Those who already purchased the 2-pack could buy the third film individually and send away for the box and bonus disc from the newer box set. New Line did something similar with their "Lord of the Rings Extended Edition" trilogy. When the third film was released, they naturally packaged all 4 Extended Editions together and sold them as a trilogy box set. Still, they rewarded those who bought the three individual 4-disc sets by including an order form for the 12-disc slipcase in the "Return of the King" box. They simultaneously repackaged and improved their product for new consumers while allowing their already-established consumers the same improvements. I think it is only fair that Palm offers fans of the "Director's Label" a similar offer. I think it would be fair and appropriate to include an order form in the four new "Director's Label" volumes making it possible for people to obtain the additional Jonze/Gondry disc for a small fee, maybe $5-10. Perhaps a box made to hold all 7 volumes plus the bonus disc could be available through this offer as well. Making this available at your website would, I believe, also be a very successful offer. Such an offer would, without question, fully restore my faith and enthusiasm for Palm's "Director's Label". Thank you.
I'll let you know if I hear back from any of them.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Alex Proyas would be a nice choice for an upcoming wave of these. There are some short films and stuff on his site, but supposedly the man directed over 100 videos, plus commercials.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Heard back from Ed Rivadavia at Palm:

Hey Bill, thanks for the suggestions...

We've been considering various options along these lines, and, in the meantime also sending the box set bonus disk to loyal customers such as yourself who bought the first 3 DVDs separately. So please supply your address and I'll get you one of those right away - thanks for your support.
I probably should have e-mailed someone at Palm about this a long time ago :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nice work Bill! I sent an email pretty much begging for the disc, I guess I'll wait and see. Hopefully they well ship to Canada, I offered to pay the postage.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Well I sent my email to PALM, and guess what? I never got a reply, but in my mail today I got the disc and poster!!

PALM gets a huge thumbs up from me on this one!! I'll gladly buy the upcoming 4 titles with confidence, knowing that their customer service is this strong! Thanks Bill GrandePre for the email link!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bill GrandePre for the email link!
I appreciate the thanks but I would be happier if I actually got the disc. I waited and waited for mine for over two weeks and then someone on another (non-DVD) forum that I mentioned the offer to got his after 5 days. I e-mailed Ed Rivadavia again and he said it was likely lost in the mail and he said he'd send another one. It sorta sucks to be the last person to get his disc when I'm the one that discovered it. Maybe they're not too happy about sending out free discs and they're taking it out on me. In all seriousness, though, I'm sure I'll get it in the next week or so.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Just got my copy of this from DDD with a pretty bashed-up box. Emailed Ed and am hoping to get a new one. Thanks for the info, fellas.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Evidently, The Directors Label series (featuring the work of Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, and Chris Cunningham) was quite successful.

Palm Pictures will be releasing a further four volumes separately and in a box set on September 13, 2005. The directors featured will be Anton Corbijn, Jonathan Glazer, Mark Romanek, and Stephane Sednaoui. Happily, continuing the tradition of the first three volumes, each of the new volumes will include a 56-page book in addition to the DVD special content.

The Palm Pictures Web site currently seems very slow or nonresponsive; DVD features copied here for your convenience:
  • Diary of photos, storyboards, sketches, and comments.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Volumes four through seven of the Directors Label series will be released one week from today!!!

Those of you lucky enough to be in New York on release day can meet the four directors at Tower Records on 4th and Broadway.

There will be a screening at 5:00 p.m., Question & Answer at 5:30 p.m., and signing at 6:00 p.m. The directors will be signing copies of their new Directors Label DVDs.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It's been nearly two years since the previous batch of Directors' Label releases, and not a word of any more. Is the series dead? Too expensive to license videos now? I hope not.

I know many people picked up the Anton Corbijn collection after viewing his outstanding film CONTROL, which put the whole series in my mind again. And now having seen Julien Temple's terrific Joe Strummer documentary THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN, it would be good to have a volume of all his influential videos, including his charming 20-minute "Jazzin' for Blue Jean" short with David Bowie. ("I'm not promoting Frankie until they tell us who he is.")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks