What's new

What's going on with South Park season 6? (1 Viewer)

I just think it's kind of odd that season 5 has been out for 4 months now and I haven't heard anything about season 6 coming out yet. I know we'll hear something eventually, but still.

Maybe it's always been like this. I haven't been collecting South Park DVDs for that long.

I LOVE this show! :)

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Going by Paramount's release schedule:

South Park - Complete Third Season
December 16, 2003

South Park - Complete Fourth Season
June 29, 2004 (6 months later)

South Park - Complete Fifth Season
February 22, 2005 (8 months later)

I have a feeling we'll see something before the year ends... maybe October or November.

Why'd you get them anyway?

The show is shown all the time, there isn't much features at all and it is one of the biggest piarted shows on the net.

1). I like to watch the show anytime I want and I don't always have time to watch the show between 10pm-midnight.

2). The picture quality is the best on these DVDs than any other form of media. I'm on dialup, by the way, so it would be impossible to download them if I wanted to anyway.

3). I'm not cheap.

;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've bought all the South Park DVDs that have come out so far; I don't see how anyone can stand to watch it on cable with that logo on every frame.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Paramount wants a minimum space between releases, like 6 months between 3 and 4, but the length of time between 4 and 5 was because of Trey Parker and Matt Stone being preoccupied with "Team America: World Police". Paramount might even release them pretty rapidly if given the chance, look at their bi-monthly "Star Trek" releases. It's been acknowledged that their "commentary-mini" is what's holding up the sets. This baffles me. It is apparant by listening to them that they don't record them all at once, even in a single season. They average about 15 episodes per season and their commentaries only run 3-5 minutes. That's 75 minutes of recording time per season. With only about 50 episodes left unreleased in the season sets they could probably get it all out of the way in about 4 hours.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
One thing that could be holding up the S6 release is that South Park is entering broadcast syndication this fall (in a chopped-up form, I'm sure). Paramount's contract with the distributor (Tribune) and/or the stations that bought the show may preclude them from releasing S6 on forward on DVD until after a particular season airs X number of times in syndication.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While that's a possibility, I'd imagine that studios make money off the sales of the DVD than syndication rights. Although I'm sure they don't get as much money for syndication rights when they release the DVD first. But they make more money from both DVDs and syndication and they make it more immediately when they release the DVDs every few months rather than waiting years for syndication rights to end.

Yeah, South Park hasn't produced a good length season in a while..

I think Season 3 had 16 episodes or so.

Now the norm is 13.

I do own season 1 on DVD though.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Excellent! I love the show but gave up on trying to watch it on TV, and I refuse to steal TV shows off the interent when they can be had eventually on a quality DVD.

I wish Matt and Try weren't so hard ass about the commentary mini's. I do prefer them to go onto the next episode if they are out of things to talk about, rather than force it, but there were some episodes were they were really going on about something and they cut themselves off because they think it's going on to long, when it's actually hillarious. Small complaint, I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks