What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's really a smoking process, not grilling per se as the turkey sits on one side with unlit burners. Gas grill is helpful to maintain heat and provide consistent heat. Add some wood chips in a smoker box to give some added flavor.

Once it was on the grill it was only checked on periodically over about four or five hours
It probably didn't hurt that the cook that day was a Cordon Bleu-trained chef, but I don't think that's a requirement. :D

Here's a Weber tutorial: http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/how-to-cook-a-turkey-on-your-gas-grill

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nice! Thanks, Cameron!

That all makes sense, too. If there's one amazing thing about my Weber grill...is how consistent and uniformly it heats.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I spatchcocked my turkey last year when I did it on the grill and I plan on doing that again this year.

Spatchcocking (if you're unfamiliar) is cutting out the backbone and cracking the breastbone between the wings so the bird lays flat.

A spatchcocked bird cooks MUCH faster (which leaves less time for it to dry out), allows you to season both sides for extra tasty, and if you like making gravy with the giblets, adding the backbone to your stock adds even more flavor.

It won't give you the classic Norman Rockwell bird on the table, but I always carve the bird in the kitchen anyway and just bring the platter of meat to the table.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
New term for me to. Taking it as a colloquialism for "messed up," you can see how Jason's first sentence didn't turn out as I expected. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's worth trying the spatchcocking method at least once in your life -- I understand the desire to serve a traditional looking turkey on Thanksgiving, so if you can't bear to mess with that on this specific day, it's worth trying any other time of year when you might want to try making a turkey.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure why they had to invent a new word. It sounds about the same as when you "butterfly" something to cook it.

NeatStuff

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Shawn
I spatchcocked my turkey last year when I did it on the grill and I plan on doing that again this year.

Spatchcocking (if you're unfamiliar) is cutting out the backbone and cracking the breastbone between the wings so the bird lays flat.

A spatchcocked bird cooks MUCH faster (which leaves less time for it to dry out), allows you to season both sides for extra tasty, and if you like making gravy with the giblets, adding the backbone to your stock adds even more flavor.

It won't give you the classic Norman Rockwell bird on the table, but I always carve the bird in the kitchen anyway and just bring the platter of meat to the table.

Done this with chicken for years,only way to go!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not sure why they had to invent a new word. It sounds about the same as when you "butterfly" something to cook it.

Apparently its usage predates the term "butterflying" - It goes back possibly as far as the 18th century, in England. It used to refer at first to a type of bird (that was often prepared by butterflying) but the term has since evolved to include cooking any type of poultry by this method.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
When spatchcocking a turkey for the oven, what do you lay the bird on? A cookie sheet? Is that deep enough to contain the juices?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you don't have a very large roasting pan, a cookie sheet can work - my dad has done that before. You can also get one of those single use foil trays that are a little deeper than a cookie sheet.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
FWIW, I have gotten a tremendous amount of great information from the website amazingribs.com.

There is a very detailed section devoted to turkeys - you can find the link if you scroll down the main page a ways.

Much like the Mythbusters, a lot of commonly held beliefs about grilling and other cooking techniques are debunked here, supported by both scientific data and firsthand accounts. There is some fascinating reading to be had, if you have the time.

I don't want to start any heated debates, so what you choose to do is up to you.

One of the points made on the site is to avoid placing the turkey "inside" a roasting pan or any other vessel whose sides rise up beyond the bottom of the bird and prevent proper air circulation and even heating on top and bottom. Instead, it's recommended that the turkey be placed directly on the oven rack (or grill grate), and the pan to collect drippings placed on a lower rack (or the oven bottom if possible). There is a picture of such a setup on the site mentioned above.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Cook's Illustrated's Science of Good Cooking uses "butterflying" for the spatchcocking term. They also advise using a large roasting pan, but elevating the bird by place four half-onions under the breasts and thighs. I think I will go this route.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Alas, I've not been cooking much this year. 11-hr work days (counting commute time) and weekend free time spent working on the HTPC or boardgaming, and I've only been doing quick basic meals during the week and not motivated to cook for fun on the weekends.

I'd hoped to cook Thanksgiving this year. But we're joining friends who are cooking. I'll do a pie or two. Maybe make eggnog?

But, I might be slowing down at work. And the HTPC is tamed. So this winter I'm thinking I should get back to cooking more intentionally again.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Stan, you might want to check out Alton Brown's ep of Good Eats where he fries chicken. It's really good.

For me, if a turkey is not cooking in the oven, it doesn't smell like Thanksgiving. I usually put some onions, lemon, and celery in the cavity. I think it makes a better jous for the gravy.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Stan, you might want to check out Alton Brown's ep of Good Eats where he fries chicken. It's really good.

For me, if a turkey is not cooking in the oven, it doesn't smell like Thanksgiving. I usually put some onions, lemon, and celery in the cavity. I think it makes a better jous for the gravy.
I think I saw those recently, "Fry", "Fry Some More", or something like that. Still the most informative cooking show I've ever seen.

I keep experimenting, have a feeling my heat is to high when I shallow fry. Tried it outside in one of those portable deep-fryers (really smell up the house), but pink inside, so maybe still to high. I'll keep trying.

As for tonight, fresh cod, a nice coating, fried in a few tablespoons of oil. Oven based frozen fries to go with it (they're better than I can do). I did something similar last week with a rainbow trout fillet, but fried fish needs something much more mellow, so back to cod.

I do a lot more than fry, this kind of stuff is the occasional treat :cool:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a recipe my wife Peg made for me tonight for dinner. She got the recipe from Weight Watchers.

It is a pizza recipe--which is surprisingly good.

One of the main problems with pizza--when on a diet--is the crust. This recipe helps with that.

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Here's the link to the complete detailed recipe.

Peg's version is a little less detailed.

1 small head of cauliflower
1 garlic clove.

Mix them together and chop in food processor until the consistency of rice. Microwave 8 minutes stirring halfway through.
Let stand 5-10 minutes. Strain any excess liquid.

Mix in:

2 eggs or egg whites
1/2 cup mozzarella
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon oregano or Italian seasoning

Pr4ess or roll until thin onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake @ 450-degrees for 25 minutes.

Add toppings. Bake.

Here's what the uncooked "dough" looked like when spread out.

full

Here it is after cooked:

full

Topped with sauce, lo-fat cheese (too much!) and veggies (mushrooms, black olives and onion):

full

And,,,the final product!

full

We have tried many different things for dietetic pizza crusts: tortilla shells, flatbread, etc. This had the upside of having a thick enough consistency to "act" like a pizza dough and allow you to pick it up and hold all the toppings. And...it was really yummy! Surprisingly good. I was doubtful but now can't wait to try it again!

A hearty recommendation from me if it seems like an idea which is right for you.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds good. Do you think the step in the microwave is really necessary? Seems like the cauliflower would cook fine given over 30 minutes in the oven. Or is it necessary to get the right consistency to mix the "dough"?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Or is it necessary to get the right consistency to mix the "dough"?

Exactly this. The microwave softens up the cauliflower so that when you mix in the eggs and shredded mozzarella you've got a nice goopy mix to spread into a flat dough. Otherwise, you'd have hard cauliflower pieces with some shredded cheese mixed in dripping in egg juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks