What's new

What would you rplace a Panny RP-91 with? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The RP-91 has been an admiral performer and given a couple years of good service. What would be an upgrade to the 91 in the sub 1k area.

Thanks,
Steve

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are using the RP-91's aspect ratio control & scaling functions, you will not find many new players that offer such a function. This is the main reason the RP-91 has not been upgraded in my system. I still have quite a few non-anamorphic widescreen titles, and I'm also spoiled with the way the RP-91 handles all the changing formats when watching supplemental material.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Scot,
I still use the aspect ratio and scaling features. I was curious if there were any new players that would do this and best the 91 in the Audio and Video department. You are right we are spoiled!

Steve

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have 2 RP91's (one is a spare) and also a JVC changer which also does scaling. The JVC model number is FA900BK, however I don't think it's made anymore. (I'd buy another if I could find it.) I like the 7 disc capacity -- I can put in a whole season of Star Trek and not have to swap out discs.

If you do a search on the forum, I think there is a Denon that does it as well, but I don't remember the number or if it's still available.

Do some TVs take over this function? I'm not sure what I'm going to do when these players finally crap out. I DESPISE watching stretched non-anamorphic DVDs.

I can't figure out why this isn't more widely available...

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Most widescreen displays have a zoom function specifically for letterboxed (non-anamorphic DVD) material - so you don't need scaling in the DVD player with a widescreen HDTV.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
My Toshiba is widescreen, and I can lock the image into full time 4x3 (w/grey bars), full time stretch (which stretches the non-anam. image as discussed above), and other settings in between, which I believe crop the image.

Is this what you're talking about, or might there be another setting that replicates what the RP91 and other DVD players do?

To my knowledge, my TV won't rescale the image to where it's in it 2.35 or 1.86 to 1 ratio w/black space letterboxing and windowboxing the image -- but some TVs will do this?

If so, will have to make that a purchase requirement when this one dies.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes for Toshiba sets like mine you use TW2 mode this displays the 16:9 letterboxed portion of a 4:3 frame which is what non-anamorphic DVDs use. Its correct for this purpose, no need for the DVD to scale the same way.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I will check this out. I like both my players, but I'd like to think I won't be handcuffed to a scaling player if there's something out there I like better in the future.

Besides, JVC doesn't have the most stellar quality rep, and the RP91 is also known for bugs as well.

Thanks -- Mike

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I tried this, but that picture setting crops the image. Any suggestions?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Sounds like just typical overscan, is it more than 5-10% cropping? On my set I went into the service menu and adjusted vertical height for all the modes to eliminate overscan. At the factory they normally set it at 5-10%.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Toshiba's TheaterWide 2 zoom-only setting does not provide anywhere near the picture quality of the RP-91's scaling for non-anamorphic widescreen material. With the RP-91, a quality non-anamorphic transfer, such as The Abyss, looks almost as good as an anamorphic transfer.

Also, without the RP-91's automatic scaling, it's a real pain in the butt watching supplemental material, which constantly switches from anamorphic to full frame to letterbox on many titles. I was constantly switching viewing modes on my Toshiba 16x9 TV for this material before getting a RP-91. Since getting the Panny, though, I just leave my Toshiba 56H80 in FULL mode at all times when watching all DVD material. The RP-91 automatically handles the anamorphic to full frame transitions of supplemental material, and I have the option of manually invoking scaling for any long feature that is non-anamorphic widescreen.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
What is the consensus on the Denon? Glitches, reliability? Is it worth buying now that the prices have come down?

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Mike,

If you get a good one, you should be ok.

I purchased a refurb'd DVM-4800 from eCost in September. Earlier DVM-4800s have a video blink problem that causes dropouts on scaled material (using the "auto-scaling" feature). Denon has a fix for this and will cover the upgrade under warranty. I sent mine to Denon, who "fixed" the problem.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to bench test the unit before returning it to me-- the unit displays no video at all. I think someone forgot to reconnect the video circuits before shipping it out. I've "owned" this particular unit for 4 months now, but it has only been in my possession for about 6 days total. The rest of the time, it has been in Denon's possession.

Overall, the tray is a little flimsy and the player takes a few seconds to load, but otherwise, if you can get the unit for $300 or so *with a factory warranty*, it's a nice upgrade from the single-disc Panny.

Please keep in mind that this is only my personal experience with the DVM-4800. I've read more positive experiences around the net on other forums and review sites-- it seems I just got a bad unit that will hopefully be replaced on Denon's dime this time.

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I replaced a RP91 with a Bravo D1 and have been very pleased. PQ over DVI is the best i've seen outside of the Denon 5900 and better than any non-hd component source i've seen. It has all the scaling features of the RP91 as well as 720p and 1080i upconversion. The player it's self is slightly buggy and the loader (DVD-Drive) is the weak point, but there are several documented mods to take care of the loader problems.

If you have DVI and are replacing an RP91 then the D1 is a great option, especiall at $200. V Inc has also anounced a D3 which seems to be a D1 w/ Windows Media 9 support (true HD if still highly compressed).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks