What's new

What was different when your wega was calibrated (1 Viewer)

Hello fellow forumers , hehe, who here has had their direct view wega calibrated? Also in a fair amount of detail can you describe what was different after the calibration. I've heard people say it looked "dimmer". I've spoken through email to Micheal Chen aka Micheal TLV and he said that have the greyscale calibrated gives you "more accurate" colors, now he couldn't comment on how so ,will they look more "vivid" , "natural" etc.. He told me that he can't gaurentee the end result, since he doesn't know how my set will behave after the cal but it will look like "the director intended it to look". I'm getting my set calibrated, hoping , fingers crossed, in march.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Stop it ... just stop it man ... you're killing me!!!:laugh:
The big variable here is how good is your set right now? I don't know. Is the colour temp close to D6500K already? I don't know and you won't know either until you actually put the instrument up to the screen.
If you have a set that is running a 17000K image ... yup ... big difference.
If your set is currently 6700K ... maybe you won't be able to tell.
That's the big unknown ... and if I have to travel 500 miles to get to you ... you'd better believe that there is no backing out even if your set is already 6700K.
A gamble ... spin the big wheel ... take your chances.
Regards

Funny how you happened to responded to the post when actually I quoted you. I'm sure you know who this is :) I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm being very sceptical about the whole thing, at the same time extremely excited , this will put my tweaking habit to rest, since wright now the picture doesn't please me very mutch and I constantly tweak away at it.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Please let me know how you make out. I have the Sony 40" and am thinking of getting it done as well. Just cash is really tight after Christmas. I did use Avia and it did look great after. But I'm sure it can look better as everyone seems to swear by this.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I just had my XBR450 calibrated. The differences are mostly in color and detail. Reds don't glow anymore. Blacks lost their green tint. Much more detail, so much so that you can see where tv people missed make-up on their faces. And there is much more shadow detail. For example, before calibration, sometimes on the West Wing or the Practice there'd be scenes in shadows where half a guy's face would disappear into a black shadow. Now you can see the face in the shadow. And the picture is still plenty bright.

Calibration made a huge difference, and the XBR widely considered the best direct-view set before calibration. The lower you go down the WEGA line, the more benefit you'll derive from a calibration. Get it done. You won't be sorry.

-Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks