Got my KV-32FV27 yesterday...problem.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Thankfully, with my KV32FV27 I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned before with WEGAs: Uneven Brightness, Tilt problems, geometry problems, etc. Everything is PERFECT...EXCEPT...
    It all seems too yellow. I can't get any red into my image. On the normal analog channels, red is fine. But on my component inputs, reds look brown even when the hue is off. Can someone help me out here? Is there a certain Service Menu item I need to adjust to get some red into my video? I attempted to turn on the red push since I believed that was to be the problem (as stupid as I was...but anyways, I found the red push to already be turned off) Please help!
    EDIT: Nevermind. After a few tweaks with the hue function, I was able to get enough red into the image for my tastes. Now, this is truly a spectacular TV!!! Man, I'm soooo glad I got it. I will post a full review (including Video Essentials results) within the next few days.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2nd EDIT: Ugh!!! I've been spending the last two hours tweaking this thing via the service menu (only the red, green, and blues) using Video Essentials. I can't seem to get the middle bar in the SMPTE pattern to be green; it always leans towards orange (and my reds still seem a bit too brown). Can someone please help me out here as to how to calibrate? Do I do the reds first or the greens first? What order do I calibrate in? I've tried literally thousands of different combinations and I've gotten close -- but never have I gotten to where I want to be (my main problem when I first got the set running was the reds via the component input). Can someone please help me out? Also, perhaps if you could tell me your service menu settings for these color adjustment values:
    RDOF
    GDOF
    BDOF
    and:
    RCOF
    GCOF
    BCOF
    Thank you so much,
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

2. Brian Harnish

Awwww, come on guys...please? Help? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

brian, I have no experience with Sony model tvs but have you determined if it is a color decoder issue or something askew with your grayscale? I'd recommend using Avia (or VE if they have similar test patterns) to look at your underlying grayscale and also at your color decoder to see if any color is being pushed more than the others. With Avia, the basic calibration technique is to use the blue filter to set the color and hue to match blue. Then one uses the color decoder pattern to see if red or green is being pushed.
    Not having used a Sony, I'm only guessing but the service variables you listed sound a lot like adjsutments to the grayscale...the cuts (low end of the scale) and drives (high end of the scale). I would not change those unless I knew specfically that the problem was a grayscale issue.
    hope this helps and good luck,
    --tom

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Brian, in re-reading what you wrote, I just noticed you said things look fine on regular cable. Have you tried a different component video cable? Have you made sure (the obvious [​IMG] ) that the cables are secure and hooked up to the proper jacks? In addition, have you used the dvd's component outputs before? Do they work fine with another tv's component inputs? Is it possible for you to try another dvd player? If it was me, before I started changing a lot of service menu settings and tweaking the color, I'd try to narrow down what is causing the problem.
    good luck,
    --tom

5. Brian Harnish

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
    It was a problem with my component connection. I reconnected the cables tonight, and everything looks GORGEOUS. Green looks green...HAHAHA. Awesome. Good thing I wrote down the original Grayscale values!
    Thank you for your help, Thomas [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

FV27? Is this a new model, to replace the FV26? What's new on this set?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Brian Harnish

Jack- Yes, it's the new model to replace the FV26. The only difference I can see is that it seems to be more refined than the FV26 (at least from what I've heard). Also, it has a dark-gray exterior as opposed to the FV26's silver exterior). I went into the service menu to tweak a few things but found the settings' values were already set to the recommended values (e.g. AXPL = 0).
    Also, there don't seem to be any problems with this set (there is a slight tilt error as far as the position of the image is, but that can be fixed via the Service menu) as mentioned by other individuals. The image looks fantastic out of the box with almost no tweaking required (but I did the VE adjustments and everything looks even better. Even non-anamorphic DVDs look gorgeous. However, as I have since experienced the enhanced grandeur of the 16x9 squeeze trick, I am almost unable to tolerate normal Widescreen DVDs.
    More experiences with this set (as well as VE results) are still to come.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

8. William T

William T Auditioning

Brian or anyone,
    Can this set do the squeeze? Or does it matter if I get a progressive scan DVD player? It certainly is a reasonably priced set compared to the XBR450. Thanks!

9. Brian Harnish

William:

10. William T

William T Auditioning

Just had a quick question: Anyone know what the difference is between this set and the Wega XBR450? Thanks!

11. PascalC

PascalC Agent

32FV17
    32XBR450

Speaker
    2X15W
    4X7.5W

DRC
    yes

CineMotion
    yes

HD 1080i