What to do with a second sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles_Cymbor, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Charles_Cymbor

Charles_Cymbor Auditioning

I have a Energy Take 5.1 system w/ a 8" sub. I recently bought a DLS-10 from parts express to supplement the bass. Now I'm wondering how I should hookup the old 8 incher.

I plan on using the line inputs for the new sub (from the sub-out on my Sony reciever). The reciever has 2 outputs for the sub so I could just hook both subs up that way.

What I thought would be cool to do would be to hook the old sub up in line with the surrounds. Only problem there is that the sub has high-level inputs but no outputs. So I guess I would have to run paralell wires from the reciever (one pair to the sub, one to the speakers). Question: If I set my sub to 'on' in the reciever does that take all the lfe out of every channel? For instance if I set my surrounds to 'large' and sub to 'on' would the lfe for the surrounds still be directed to the sub out?

I think the best (and simplest) way would be to just hook up both subs to the sub out on the reciever.

2. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Charles:

When I replaced my M&K sub with a Velodyne, I too had the delima as to what to do with the extra sub.

I thought I'd experiment with connecting it inline with the rear effect speakers. Works great there.