What's new

What the **** was up with the Orange bowl halftime show?(even more about Ashlee.....) (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

While the sound-techs were obviously having trouble, that doesn't excuse her horrendous performance.

The problem isn't even Ashlee. It's all the people that have manufactured her into thinking she's a superstar. Her weirdo father and all the record execs keep fluffing up her ego, while her singing talents are average at best.

However, she's treated, viewed and billed as a singing/pop superstar. A real superstar would have at least been able to keep a tune without their earpiece/monitor under circumstances where the equipment failed. A real performer should have put their hand to their ear if they were unable to keep tune.

The fact of that matter is the girl simply can't sing. (No, I'm not a 'hater'... I'm someone with a little knowledge in this department. I couldn't care less about Ashlee and her career, love OR hate.)

I must say that I'm seriously amused at the big ol' anarchy symbol on her band's drum set. One of the most manufactered "talents" in the business today, and they display anarchy symbols? Irony? :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The singing was definitely bad, but the brief glimpse of the clueless expression on her face was heartbreaking. But then I always was a softie :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I can see Ashlee suing the place because they just destroyed her career. I didn't see it, and don't want to put any values on her voice, but I personally think that her older sister doesn't have any singing talent either. I've heard one of her CD's and several other songs, and she can barely carry a tune. It's just eye-candy - if you're looking for that.

As for the lip-syncing, that has been going on for decades. I saw Janis Ian just after she came out with 'Society's Child' on TV. I think it was on Dick Cavett and she was barely 17 then. Well, the song started but then it just stopped. The equipment had gone south. He came out to her and asked her if she could do it 'live', and she agreed. That was in the '60's. If think you're hearing a live voice, you might want to think about it a little more.

As for half time activities, most of you must be too young and missed the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader's when they were at several Super Bowls a few years back.

Again, the sound equipment should be in perfect order, and I believe that they do require perfectly working backup units as well. The fact that it failed appears deliberate to me.

Glenn

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

While her music itself leaves something to be desired, I think that you are way off base here. Jessica actually has one hell of a voice, AND is eye candy, something younger sis lacks both of.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for her. There are obviously people who have a lot of money invested in her and want a return on their money. She must feel a lot of pressure. I can't image what it must have been like for her to be there and get booed by all those people. I don't care how much she gets paid (not enough I think, yet), but that must have been an awful moment in her life. It's not like she's a mature artist or person yet, she's bascially just a kid still. I think the best thing for her to do would be to just call it quits and find something to do that she's good at...

/Mike

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if I can really feel sorry for her. Sure she may not be a megamillionaire like sister Jessica, but I don't think she has the paycheck-to-paycheck concerns that most of us do.

She knew what she was in for. She knew her limitations. She also knew that she could ride Jessica's coattails to stardom and proceeded to do it (just as Mini-Britney is about to do).

It's one thing if someone is doing something they love, and are good at, and then have a slip up. I've been to plenty of plays and musicals where people have screwed up lines or hit sour notes. I don't boo them because damn it, they're paying their dues and have made an investment not based on someone else's fame, but their own hard work and dedication.

When Ashlee, who is essentially a "ready-made studio product", proceeded to embarass herself first on SNL and then at the BCS game, well there's no pity from me there. She knew that she had limitations, but she rode the corporate dollars and exposure to the top. So just as she bathed in the dollars and glory to get her to where she is (and does anyone think that if she wasn't Jessica's sister and had to cut her teeth in the small-club circuit with her band that she'd even be signed to a label?), she's gotta take the lumps that come with blowing it in front of millions of people.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Bingo. I feel bad for her. I don't think it's so much a case of her "exploiting the opportunity" as being pushed into it by Creepy Papa Joe. And if that sicko never mentions his daughter's breasts ever again (in an appreciative tone, no less), the world will be a better place.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Why don't they just take the top 5 winners from those crazy insane "Cheerleading competitions" and get them to perform? That's far more entertaining than some manufactured star performing in a sea of 500 extras.

For the record, Destiny's Child got viciously booed at the end of their Orange Bowl performance a few years back. Didn't seem to hurt their money making abilities.

I just want to know how much money Ashley Simpson's manager is spending on blow and hookers in order to sway producers into booking her in the first place.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure you're thinking of the Orange Bowl? They performed at halftime of one of the 2001 NBA Finals games in Philly, and got booed pretty badly. And they haven't exactly gone poor since then, so your overall point is certainly valid!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Weren't they booed because they wore the visiting team's jersey or something like that? If so, they weren't booed for a lack of talent, which explains why their careers seem to be fine.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, IIRC they were booed because they were wearing unpopular jerseys (probably, as Ricardo says, the opposition's]. I've seen a few Destiny's child "performances" on TV (they seem like they're singing live, with help from some background vocals or pre-recorded stuff) and they certainly can sing a lot better than Ashlee.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually it was an NBA finals between Philadelphia and the Lakers. And they wore a mixture of 76ers and Lakers gear, so they got booed. But they had talent, so were OK career-wise, and the Lakers won the championship that year. :)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
actually, i believe it was the nba all-star game that was in philly in which they were boo-ed. and they were boo-ed because they're one dimensional w/ silly song lyrics.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
In Philly, they boo everybody . Even Santa Claus got booed a few years back (I think at an Eagles game). So I doubt it had anything to do with DC's performance or attire.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not only is her voice atrocious, I don't find her all that good looking. Mediocre in every way.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I agree. Even if you do not like Jessica's Barbie-come-to-life looks, the best you can say about Ashlee is she is the "plain" one in the family. Who knows, she is still just a kid and may be going through "ugly duckling" syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks