What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
18-24 months ago (lost track of the actual date) I went "all in" on the latest Everdell system, purchasing The Complete Collection box along with special resource containers. It finally arrived yesterday and it's a beast! Here's a photo of it beside Gloomhaven:

1666398873589.jpeg

In addition to being roughly 3" "taller" than Gloomhaven, it's 1 1/2" wider. Gloomhaven is 1/2" deeper. It will *not* fit in my shelving units (the Target version of the Kallax units). Gloomhaven *will* but sticks out a couple of inches. It weighs in at 20lbs and contains the "deluxe" versions of the base game and all 5 expansions. I'm almost wishing I'd not gone for this package after seeing its size - but it cost *less* for this than purchasing the non-deluxe base game and expansions at retail.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's baaaack... Target's B2G1 sale on books, board games, video games (but no media this time out):
Starts Sunday 11/6/22 and runs through Saturday:
1667567284820.png

Hopefully, Asmodee won't pull all their titles like they've done the past few...

Also, Bordlandia is having a 15% off sale on almost everything - excludes DOTD, Lego, Ding 'n Dent, Clearance - BUT DOES include pre-orders. Runs through the end of November. Free shipping at $80. No coupon needed as the discount applies automatically when adding stuff to your cart.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's a bummer that it doesn't include movie media again. Guess they may have concluded that inclusion just doesn't help their bottomline or something, and that may largely be their new approach going forward I guess... Hope they'll still do B2G1 on movie media once in a long while at least...

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As expected, most Asmodee distributed product is OOS/Sold out. I guess it's a good thing as I've just about purchased everything Target carries that I'm interested in adding to the library. Saves some $$... BUT - that Bordlandia sale keeps calling my name... I did *one* order and am doing my best to keep it at *one* order.

From Bordlandia, I picked up:

In the Hall of the Mountain King - Kickstarter Deluxe Edition. It has the base game, the Cursed Mountain solo mode stuff, the Champions mini-expansion, Gametraz, 5th player, and upgraded components (several of which look to make gameplay a bit better/easier/less clunky) for just a few $$ over the cost of the 3 main parts purchased individually.

A map expansion board for Polynesia, and Terraforming Mars: Prelude for my son (he recently purchased his own copy of the base game).

From Target I picked up:

Downforce - looks like a good race game that plays fairly quickly (something I didn't get with Formula-D) that the family might enjoy. It's also the regular version (the Target specific version looks to be OOP - and that's OK as it has a smaller box, board, cards, and doesn't mix well with any of the expansions should we decide to get any of those).

The Game of Life: Jurassic Park for my 9yo dinosaur/Jurassic Park loving grandson. It looks real cool and, in reading the rules, sounds like one of the better versions of the game (my middle granddaughter got a copy of The Game of Life: My Little Pony a few years back - it's more enjoyable than the main game).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Target has board games B2G1. Must be sold by Target to qualify. They also have some games with extra discounts which stack with the B2G1 offer.

Here are a few notable games/prices *before* applying the B2G1:
Ticket to Ride: San Francisco - $12.49 (I picked up 3 of these for stocking stuffers - ~$9/each after tax)
Horrified: American Monsters - $31.99 (first time it's been discounted from the MSRP)
Alien: Fate of the Nostromo - $14.69
Raiders of the North Sea - $29.99 - This is the Target version w/cardboard coins and a couple of other quality reductions, but with a final B2G1 of ~$20 is a good introductory version.
Horizons of Spirit Island - $29.99 - Target Exclusive version of Spirit Island. If you own the main game get this for the extra Spirits. Otherwise it's a decent introduction for much less $$.

And much more - Asmodee titles are currently included so that adds lots of stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We haven’t mixed Asia in with the rest of the game and are playing it as a straight, two-player, no-nectar standalone game. Two games so far, and I like it. The new birds are interesting. The Duet mode changes up two player: end of round goals are more complex and I think more interesting overall.

So far, it’s more Wingspan with some tweaks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Target has board games B2G1. Must be sold by Target to qualify. They also have some games with extra discounts which stack with the B2G1 offer.

Here are a few notable games/prices *before* applying the B2G1:
Ticket to Ride: San Francisco - $12.49 (I picked up 3 of these for stocking stuffers - ~$9/each after tax)

A bit of a bummer the B2G1 didn't last as long as usual. I thought I had a little time before ordering, but it apparently ended sometime mid-week shortly before I was ready to order...

Still, even that $12.49 price alone is enticing... probably just enough for me to bite w/out the B2G1... and I may throw in the ToR First Journey for $17.50 for my 8-yo niece who might not be quite ready for the regular version just yet (not mention my 5-yo nephew)...

I was also eyeing another copy of Catan plus regular ToR (and whatever else) each at just $30 for presents, but w/out the B2G1 now, not quite as enticing w/out knowing for sure how much interest the various older kids (and probably their parents), et al might have...

_Man_

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A bit of a bummer the B2G1 didn't last as long as usual. I thought I had a little time before ordering, but it apparently ended sometime mid-week shortly before I was ready to order...

Still, even that $12.49 price alone is enticing... probably just enough for me to bite w/out the B2G1... and I may throw in the ToR First Journey for $17.50 for my 8-yo niece who might not be quite ready for the regular version just yet (not mention my 5-yo nephew)...

I was also eyeing another copy of Catan plus regular ToR (and whatever else) each at just $30 for presents, but w/out the B2G1 now, not quite as enticing w/out knowing for sure how much interest the various older kids (and probably their parents), et al might have...

_Man_
Yeah... it ended Monday night. Looks like it was a "Cyber Monday" thing that included Sunday. I, too, was expecting it to be an all week sale in spite of it not being in the weekly ad. At least I ordered everything I *thought* I wanted before it ended, though I'd likely have placed another order or three... saved me some $$... though I'm looking at a last minute, sneak it under the wire, boardlandia order (they're having a 15% off almost everything site wide that was supposed to end on the 30th but is still live - I expect it to end at midnight today). Also eyeing a copy of Istanbul Big Box from AEG - they're having a 40% off w/free shipping sale that ends at midnight today. For both of those, no code is needed. At boardlandia, the discount shows on the items without having to load the cart first and at AEG it's automatically applied in the cart.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Sadly none of my friends play board games. I have a sealed copy of Junta I have been dying to play since I got it. We played a few times in college and it was some of the most fun I have ever had playing a board game.
I feel your pain - I can't get anyone to play BGs either!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ticket to Ride: Germany arrived yesterday. Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. They're excited about Germany because it has White and Purple trains (so does Nordic but I've not told them about that one yet). And we've still not yet played Europe that I picked up a couple of months back on sale at Target. I really need to slow down purchasing new games as we have 10-12 still unopened but sales keep cropping up on stuff that gets good reviews and sounds like a good play...
I've been re-reading this thread and came across this post I made in May, 2018. Wow! *Only* 10-12 games unopened at that time!! That's grown to ~200 today! :eek: Yes... I have a "shelf of shame" that's overly large... :laugh:

From August, 2018 I posted this list of then unplayed games (I'd have to spoiler the current list as it's very long). I've bolded those that have been played to date:

Palace of Mad King Ludwig - Once with my oldest grandson (now 19)
Lanters: The Harvest Festival - Once with the 3 oldest grandkids
Quest for El Dorado - Many times as it's a favorite of the middle granddaughter (now 12)
Queendomino (We've played Kingdomino and they all asked for this one so...) - Once with my oldest grandson
Ascension (We've played the "Apprentice Edition" but not the full, original, release) - Many times as it's a favorite of the oldest granddaughter (now 16)
Walled City
Templar's Journey
Treasure Hunter
Isle of Skye - Twice with 2 different groups (one 2 player, one 3 player). Didn't go over very well and haven't been able to get it back to the table.
Queen's Architect
Amazonas
Abaddon - Once with my oldest grandson. We both were kind of "meh" on it.
Lagoon: Land of Druids - I've opened it and read the rules.
Notre Dame
Alhambra Cardgame (we finally played the board game and it was a hit)
Axis and Allies 1941 (we got started on a play through one night but they had to leave before we got more than a couple of turns in) - and we've tried another time or two, never making it past the first few turns.
Lost Legends
Liguria
Castelli
Blood Rage - Many times as it's a favorite of my oldest grandson, my son, and me.
Tides of Madness (We've played Tides of Time and really enjoy it)
Black Fleet
Clank! Sunken Treasures (an expansion for Clank! - and we've only played Clank! once!!) - Once with my 2 oldest grandkids and my daughter
Small Worlds: Underground - Once with the older 2 grandkids.
Small Worlds: River World
Several race add ons for Small World
Ticket to Ride: Germany
Several map expansions for Ticket to Ride - I now have all of the TTR map expansions and about half have been played several times each.

I also commented on Everdell, saying the mechanics, especially the possibility of one player to end much earlier than others, sounded somewhat offputting.... and a couple of months back received the "All In" latest Kickstarter with the base game and all expansions in blinged out versions... yeah... In my defense, having a decent sounding solo version was the primary impetus with multiplayer being a nice addition.

On December 12th, 2020 I commented:
"my collection list on BGG is almost 300 titles (that includes over 100 expansions...)"

In the 2 short years since then my collection has grown to over 600 titles which includes over 200 expansions... And I currently have 3 "holds" at miniaturemarket that consists of a single game and a half dozen expansions... I need to get those released as it's enough to qualify for free shipping.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I didn't mention that during the 2022 Black Friday sale at the BGG Store I caved and picked up the "GeekUp Bit sets" for Quacks of Quedlinburg and the Herb Witches expansion along with their "GeekUp Box Set" to hold them and the "books" during game play. I surprised my 12yo granddaughter with them - we'd been putting the tokens in coin capsules, which work pretty well. She was very impressed with these (me too). It is the most expensive game bling I've ever done. It kind of feels worth it as we really like the game. Surprisingly, it *all* fits in the base box (base game and both expansions plus the boxes/bits) with the insert removed. It's tight... but fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks