What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What silent film would you most like to see on 4K? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Given that they have titles like The Leopard and Richard III, among many others, that could really benefit from 4K, I find the title choices bizarre from a quality perspective - although I understand the historical reason for CK.
The Leopard (35mm 8-perf), Playtime (65mm) and IAMMMMW (65mm) come to mind as worthy choices for a 4k release from Criterion from a technical point of view. I would have to revisit Richard III but I remember that due to the many indoor scenes it did not really look that detailed.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Richard III is VV and previously mastered in 4K so the work is already done!
Same for the others, they all have a 4k master but so did Citizen Kane.

I know that Richard III is VistaVision I just do not think that there is that much detail on display for most of the movie. Not because of the scan not being OK, it is just the way it was shot. That being said it will still look a lot better than Citizen Kane!

With that being said it is quite obvious that people will buy their favorite movie in HDR and it does not matter if it is a good release candidate for a 4k release or not. Ever since the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released quite early into the format and supposedly selling well it was clear that people like to buy "their" movies in the best possible format, no matter if it makes sense or not.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I can't think of a single B&W/silent* film pre-1940 that would benefit from a 4K home release, especially as in so many cases the OCN no longer exists to create a 4K from.

By all means master from the best materials available in 4K for archival purposes, but the home release will not be appreciably better than a Blu from the same master - especially if already owning a decent copy on Blu.

I applaud Criterion releasing 4K's, but Citizen Kane (No OCN)/For All Mankind (primarily 16mm OCN) and others will not convince those sitting on the fence that this is a game changing format. Given that they have titles like The Leopard and Richard III, among many others, that could really benefit from 4K, I find the title choices bizarre from a quality perspective - although I understand the historical reason for CK.

*I caveat B&W as certain three-strip technicolor productions have benefited from a 4K/HDR release and show benefits over a Blu from the same master.

M
I get Kane purely on name recognition as the “best film ever made” and Mulholland Drive because Lynchian cinephiles will eat it up with a spoon. Hard Days Night because of the Beatles doc, I guess? I haven’t picked any of them up. I hope they’ll announce some Wes Anderson soon.

Then again, I’m still waiting for a Fiend without a Face upgrade after all these years, so who knows how long it will take.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Like most other films shot let’s call it pre-1930, there is no 4k imagery in Napoleon. The best surviving is footage from the La Marseillaise sequence, which was scanned in 4k from the camera negative, and even that tops out at around 2.5 or thereabouts.

What has been presumed to be the M-G-M version, released in 1928, has been scanned at 6k, but there are no shots that hit 2k resolution. For those following the history of the film, the negative acquired from M-G-M, which was copied from a 35mm print, has turned out not to conform to that release version.

While it has the M-G-M main and end titles, some proper sequences, and a couple of others from a longer M-G-M test version, cut before release, probably half the footage was taken from other versions (possibly UK), and used to repair the only surviving print in the library.

While the original final cutting continuity survives, the actual film version does not, unless an unknown print is secreted away, or waiting in permafrost.
I was specifically thinking about the Triptych with respect to Napoleon. Thanks, RAH.

Reactions: PMF

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't need any of the silents on 4K. I'm still waiting for better copies of existing blu's (PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, for example) and just good ol' blu-rays or at least excellent DVD releases for, say, THE LAST LAUGH (Kino), plus many, many unreleased titles (THE WIND, GREED, THE CROWD Warner Bros.). It's frustrating to see movies that have been released multiple times already getting their 4K's while the ones I mention above are simply left behind on DVD or Blu. Yeah, I understand the bottom line, but really...

I have to correct my own post of a month ago (I'm surprised no one else caught it). Suddenly I am looking at the list I made of silent films I feel need DVD or Blu release, and realize that THE LAST LAUGH has been out from Kino on Blu-ray for years. The title I meant to cite is BROKEN BLOSSOMS. A gut-wrenching powerhouse from D.W. Griffith and starring Lillian Gish. Apologies to Kino...except that they also have the rights to BROKEN BLOSSOMS!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have to correct my own post of a month ago (I'm surprised no one else caught it). Suddenly I am looking at the list I made of silent films I feel need DVD or Blu release, and realize that THE LAST LAUGH has been out from Kino on Blu-ray for years. The title I meant to cite is BROKEN BLOSSOMS. A gut-wrenching powerhouse from D.W. Griffith and starring Lillian Gish. Apologies to Kino...except that they also have the rights to BROKEN BLOSSOMS!
The exquisite original print of Broken Blossoms that is in MoMA's collection is unbeatable for its sheer beauty. No home release has ever done it justice.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I've never seen the MoMA's Broken Blossoms print. The DVDs are pretty awful PQ wise so I'd JUMP at the chance to get a gorgeous BD (at least) of this phenomenal classic and with orchestral score if possible.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Could Visconti's "The Leopard" benefit from another scan? And If so, what would be improved? Thank you.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Could Visconti's "The Leopard" benefit from another scan? And If so, what would be improved? Thank you.
Hard to say without seeing the scan. This has been scanned in 6k quite recently and it may be more worthwhile to revisit the original data from that scan in order to improve shadow details and color timing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Hard to say without seeing the scan. This has been scanned in 6k quite recently and it may be more worthwhile to revisit the original data from that scan in order to improve shadow details and color timing.
Most recent work on The Leopard was done with support from the Film Foundation by Cineteca di Bologna and [at the time] 20th Century Fox. It's a Technirama title, but if memory serves, there was some negative damage. If elements are handled correctly, it could look rather nice in 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks