What's new

What movie should I see today? (1 Viewer)

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw Matchstick Men and Underworld yesterday and am seeing Once upon a Time in Mexico tonight but until then what should I see. I was thinking Cabin Fever, Thirteen, or Anything else. Some opinions would be nice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I liked Cabin Fever, but it seems to be a bit iffy to a lot of people. I think you're best off with Thirteen; I've yet to hear anyone dislike it. I personally want to see Anything Else.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I would try to find Lost in Translation. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it until it comes out on DVD...

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I expect Lost in Translation to get some Oscar nominations and a wider release.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see american splendor and lost in translation more then anything but lost in translation doesn't come out around me until next friday and I have no idea about american splendor.

Arman

Screenwriter
"I was thinking Cabin Fever, Thirteen, or Anything else. Some opinions would be nice."

I just posted in 2003 List thread that I might go out and also see CF and/or AE. I saw Thirteen, one of the best films of the year so far(since I have'nt seen Lost in Translation and American Splendor, I'm not sure which is the best among them) yesterday and after looking at your Top 20, I think you will at least appreciate and would not regret seeing it.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see American Splendor and Lost in Translation. I almost drove 350 miles last week just to see these two. Oh well, at least we get Thirteen and The Magdalene Sisters this week.

Oh by the way, Thirteen will get an A from me but it does not mean it has a sure spot in my Top 10 since there are a lot films who got rave reviews that I have yet to see like In America, LiT, AS, Elephant, Dogville, 21 Grams, Dragon Inn and Fog of War. (Jason, among those films are they going to screen Elephant and Fog of War only in VIFF?)

Arman

Screenwriter
"I think you're best off with Thirteen; I've yet to hear anyone dislike it. I personally want to see Anything Else."

Thirteen is getting a respectable but lower than I expected scores in rottentomatoes.com (with 79% fresh) and metacritic.com (71). Our very own Mark Pfeiffer dislikes it and gave it a D.

Meanwhile, it is a dogfight :D between Lost in Translation and American Splendor for the right to be called the film of the year in as far as cumulative scroes between those 2 film rating sites. If I'm not mistaken those (excluding Finding Nemo's) are the best cumulative scores for 2003 films so far.

Rottentomatoes.com has 93% - 92% (of course out of perfect 100%. Finding Nemo is leading with an undisputable scores of 99%), in favor of Lost in Translation

and

metacritic.com has American Splendor leading with 97-96 (out of perfect 100, Finding Nemo is scoring with a 92).

For whatever it's worth, my best film so far, Raising Victor Vargas is getting scores of 96% fresh (wow, surprise!) in rottentomatoes and 85 (only? :) ) in metacritic.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Don't, I repeat DON'T see Cold Creek Manor, I made the mistake of sitting through this snoozer. Should have gone to my first choice, Anything Else, maybe tomorrow...
Still need to see Underworld.
I want to see Thirteen, but it isn't playing around here. There is an arthouse cinema about 40 minutes away that I think will be playing it in a few weeks.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I have yet to see like In America, LiT, AS, Elephant, Dogville, 21 Grams, Dragon Inn and Fog of War. (Jason, among those films are they going to screen Elephant and Fog of War only in VIFF?)
I knew I forgot to start a thread on VIFF. :)

Elephant, The Fog of War and Goodbye Dragon Inn are going to screen at VIFF, and you can bet I will be at all of those screenings. :)

And to respond to Jon's first post, see whatever you can. :)

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks