What's new

What makes a movie a "classic"? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
As for the prequels, here's hoping and expecting for the next two films to elevate this trilogy to a whole other level.
Please, lets not let this devolve into another damn Star Wars thread! :D
As for my definition of a classic, it's a film that can be watched endless times, without becoming repetitive.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The answer is so simple, it's staring you right in the eyes.
I make a movie a classic. So shall it be.
"Go forth, Mortal Kombat. You are now anointed, my child. My classic..."
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. It actually is "time" as stated above.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's my own standards that make a film a classic in my mind. I could care less what critics or Disney hypemeisters think.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I know Paul, you don't like them. So I'll shut up now.:D That was just a little joke between me and Ken.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I agree. If a film is loved 20, 30, 40, 50 years after its release, it is definitely a classic.

One time I went through the list of Best Picture Oscar-winners to evaluate which are considered major "classics" today. It was 25-30 percent.

Butch C

Second Unit
I thought I said this before but I cant find my post

25 years is a criteara for CARS to be classics...not FILMS

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I agree with the test of time as essential to a classic. One important element of that definition is that the film does not become dated as time passes. Though its technical quality may not hold up to the modern eye, the themes and characters should speak to generation after generation. I would certainly list "Casablanca" as an all-time classic; Bogie is still the ultimate cynical hero, and Bergman is luminous. Even when you go as far back as the silent films, the classics still touch you or make you laugh even with their primitive technology.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I agree with the test of time as essential to a classic.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I've seen several films that appear to my eye to be classics, like Titanic, Rushmore, Saving Private Ryan, and There's Something About Mary (OK, just kidding about that last one).

They just seem to have something special about them--call it a "classic aura"--that makes me think they should be considered classics right now--without the 20? 30? 50? year wait some people have suggested.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the whole "You have to wait X amount of years before it can be considered a classic" thinking, either. Personal tastes aside, would you consider Pulp Fiction a classic? Or Goodfellas? Or Fight Club? These were all genre-bending films. They were landmarks and yet, they are barely out of the gates, filmwise. Also, does popularity decide which film is a classic or not? How many people do you know that has seen The Seventh Seal or Double Indemnity? Both are established classics, yet neither would register very high on any popularity list. In the end, it has to boil down to the individual. It's that film, that when you see it the first time, you just know how profound it felt, how memorable it was.
Bruce

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
A classic is a good movie you can watch over and over again. Star Wars is a classic, LOTR is a classic, Citizen Kane is a classic. This is my definition.

Travis D

Second Unit
Newer, more recent Classics that spring to mind
  • Jaws
  • Radiers of the lost Ark
  • Inidana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  • Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Back to the Future Trilogy
  • Jurassic Park (and NOT The Lost World or 3)
  • Schindler's List
  • and The Matrix to name a few
Movies that made big bank that I don't think will be remembered are
Forrest Gump
Titanic
The Sixth Sense
Gladiator
Independence Day
Now does this mean they are bad films? Hell no! In fact I own everyone of them. I just don't think they will be in Oscar montages 20 years from now.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Something that can be experienced endlessly and always generate joy.
Its the whole beauty in the eye of the beholder. I consider "The Burbs" and "Tremors" classics, even "Transformers: The Movie". :)
Im sure many of you dont consider them worthy of that status, perhaps hate them. There are those classics (personal) and there are the commonly held "classic" films which are normally associated with 'old' movies. 25 years +
Both co-exist, nuff said

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks