What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"What Lies Beneath" (2000, Robert Zemeckis) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched WLB on the Widscreen DVD. I had seen this in the theater back in Fall 2000, but this is the first time I've watched this since seeing it theatrically.

Excellent suspense/horror flick! I remember being surprised that Harrison Ford played a "bad guy" (for lack of a better word) in the film, since this was completely against type.
The scenes when it was revealed that he killed his lover were interesting, since that's not the way I thought this would go.

Also liked the continuity in the earlier scene when MP when to the lab & heard the technicians talking about drugging the rats & rendering them temporarily paralyzed, and the confirmation that this would also work on humans - which was then referenced in the end, when MP was herself paralyzed with the drug.

Though I've never found this film exceptionally horrifying, it is definitely creepy/jarring -
especially the scenes when the MP character saw the "ghost" of the ex-lover in the bathroom, etc. And - the ending scene when the ex-lover's "ghost" pulled down HF to his watery doom was grotesque - especially when the ghost's face changed from "human" form to a rotted corpse - great effects here.

This film definitely needs & deserves an upgrade to Blu. The current DVD was OK when it came out, but in the current days of HD it's severely lacking with washed-out color, just OK PQ, etc.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is now either a Disney (formerly FOX) or Paramount (formerly DreamWorks) property, so the chances of a Blu-ray release, unless licensed out to another entity like Shout or Kino, is unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks