What's new

What kind of receiver will work for my setup of 5 speakers? (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 in-ceiling speakers for the backyard patio, and about 20' away I have 3 rock speakers. What receiver do I need to hook up these 5 speakers? The source will be primarily CD. If I use a 5.1 receiver, apply some DSP like Dolby PL Music, will I get equal sound from all 5 speakers? Or will the sound still be mostly from the 2 speakers connected to Left and Right terminals, and the other 3 speakers get fill-in surround sound?

Thanks,

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you want more or less equal sound from each speaker, "5-channel stereo" would be a better bet.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I find one? I typed in "5 channel stereo amplifier" at pricegrabber and ebay, and only saw amps for car audio.

Thanks,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
He's referring to the DSP setting you'd choose. Most receivers have some sort of "5 channel stereo" setting which combines all channels and outputs that from all 5 speakers.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it routes the left channel to the left front and left surround speakers, and the right channel to the right front and right surround speakers. The center channel gets a blend of both left and right channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks