What's new

Replacement for Integra DTM-5.3 AV Receiver Amplifier, Multi-Zone (1 Viewer)

McWatt

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
Hello,

I just moved into a home with 5 built in speakers in the ceiling (though I only plan to use 4 of them). The previous owners used an Integra DTM-5.3 AM/FM AV Receiver Amplifier, Multi-Zone to connect the receiver to the TV (http://www.integrahometheater.net/model.cfm?m=DTM-5.3&class=Receiver&p=i). Unfortunately, they took the receiver with them when they moved.

I am a home theater novice, and so I am not sure what kind of receiver I should buy that will work with my setup. I'm looking for something inexpensive. I would like to have 2 of the speakers connect to my TV, and then four of the speakers (including the two) connect to music. I could certainly live with all 4 connecting to both the tv and music. I would love one with bluetooth for also playing music.

I would really appreciate any advice on which receivers would meet my needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

McWatt

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
Are all five of these speakers in the same room, or scattered around the house?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

They are all in the same room. Our first floor is one big room, so a connected living room-dining area-kitchen. Two of the speakers are above the couch near the tv, and two more are several feet behind, toward the dining area/kitchen. The fifth is in this small nook the former owners used to watch tv, though I don't have any use for it since I moved the tv out to the main room.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In that situation, a multi-zone component like the previous owners used was pointless, as “multi zone” typically refers to speakers in multiple rooms of the house.

Thus, just about any A/V receiver on the market these days will meet your needs. Just peruse the offerings on line from the major brands (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, etc.) to find one with the features you want for the price you want to pay.

I know you want to use the existing speakers, but I’d advise at least getting a center channel speaker to put near the TV. It’s going to be weird to be looking at a video source in front of you while its sound comes from above your head.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

McWatt

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
In that situation, a multi-zone component like the previous owners used was pointless, as “multi zone” typically refers to speakers in multiple rooms of the house.

Thus, just about any A/V receiver on the market these days will meet your needs. Just peruse the offerings on line from the major brands (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, etc.) to find one with the features you want for the price you want to pay.

I know you want to use the existing speakers, but I’d advise at least getting a center channel speaker to put near the TV. It’s going to be weird to be looking at a video source in front of you while its sound comes from above your head.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thanks very much for the advice, Wayne! And good news that most receivers would work. What sort of features do I need? As I said I'm a novice, so I don't know if I need a 5 channel, 7 channel, etc. If it is not too much trouble, could you link to a couple of examples?

Thanks so much!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The “inexpensive” models you said you prefer will all be 5.1. Which is fine, because you don’t have enough speakers in the ceiling for 7.1 anyway. The only feature you said you needed was Bluetooth; just about everything has it now, except the absolute bottom-of-the-line offerings. Beyond that, if you have any existing audio or video equipment you want to connect to the system, (DVD, CD etc.), make sure the receiver you choose has the input connections that those components require.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

McWatt

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
The “inexpensive” models you said you prefer will all be 5.1. Which is fine, because you don’t have enough speakers in the ceiling for 7.1 anyway. The only feature you said you needed was Bluetooth; just about everything has it now, except the absolute bottom-of-the-line offerings. Beyond that, if you have any existing audio or video equipment you want to connect to the system, (DVD, CD etc.), make sure the receiver you choose has the input connections that those components require.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thanks so much for your help, Wayne. I knew I came to the right place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks